Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Transfer contacts list into LG 600?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    32
    Feedback Score
    0

    Transfer contacts list into LG 600?

    I was trying to figure out how to best transfer a couple hundred contacts into my new Net10 LG 600 phone. I turned on the OPP Bluetooth service, but it is only allowing me to transfer one card at a time.

    I have my contacts stored in Palm Desktop. I selected all the contacts, then exported them all to a single *.vcf file. So far so good. The OPP service lets me select this file to send to the phone, but it always sends the last contact that is stored in the file. It doesn't send every one.

    No, I don't have the patience to export 200 contacts to individual *.vcf files (although an Emacs macro could help speed that up), then use OPP to sent them to the phone one by one.

    There has to be a better way. What is it though? I previously transferred contact lists to LG phones by using BitPim, but it wouldn't appear to support this phone. This is such an obvious thing that someone would want to do with a new phone that I just know there has to be a way to do it. But, how?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    in a house
    Posts
    270
    Phones
    LG 900G
    Lg 600g (retired)
    Lg VX8500 (retired)
    Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    0
    my chocolate only let me send 10 at a time. but the LG600 made me approve each one individually as well. Also you cannot export them off this phone. Found that out with my replacement.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NorthWestern PA
    Posts
    624
    Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Squirrel
    I was trying to figure out how to best transfer a couple hundred contacts into my new Net10 LG 600 phone. I turned on the OPP Bluetooth service, but it is only allowing me to transfer one card at a time.
    The easiest way I know of is to get a small SIM Card Reader/Writer. They have them that plug into the USB port. Then you can have a backup copy on your computer also.

    http://www.marketablegoods.com/simcardreader.html

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Piedmont area of NC
    Posts
    419
    Phones
    Galaxy S4/32 JB 4.3
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball-II
    The easiest way I know of is to get a small SIM Card Reader/Writer. They have them that plug into the USB port. Then you can have a backup copy on your computer also.

    http://www.marketablegoods.com/simcardreader.html
    Sounds like a great idea. But doesn't it require a USB port on the phone? There's no USB port on the LG600g unless LG makes a cable that connects to the proprietary port with USB termination.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    32
    Feedback Score
    0
    That SIM card reader looks interesting; I didn't know they existed. Will the contacts file format on the SIM card be something that I can actually edit myself? Or is it some binary format that I can't easily muck with?

    e.g. The VCF file that I export from Palm Desktop is a simple text file, so I can easily manipulate that with Emacs or other text editor.

    speedlever: You don't need a USB port on your phone to read a SIM card because the SIM card plugs into the reader.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Piedmont area of NC
    Posts
    419
    Phones
    Galaxy S4/32 JB 4.3
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Squirrel
    That SIM card reader looks interesting; I didn't know they existed. Will the contacts file format on the SIM card be something that I can actually edit myself? Or is it some binary format that I can't easily muck with?

    e.g. The VCF file that I export from Palm Desktop is a simple text file, so I can easily manipulate that with Emacs or other text editor.

    speedlever: You don't need a USB port on your phone to read a SIM card because the SIM card plugs into the reader.
    Ah, I see. Now your question about the file format is sorta critical.

    Edit: and does it work with Vista? I only see up through XP.
    "System Requirements: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP "

    This would bypass the TF block on file transfers to the PC, but everything would have to be stored on the SIM card rather than the phone memory.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    32
    Feedback Score
    0
    Good question, not sure if it'd work with Vista. They will never get me to upgrade to Vista, but that is another story.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    in a house
    Posts
    270
    Phones
    LG 900G
    Lg 600g (retired)
    Lg VX8500 (retired)
    Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    0
    i tried to copy to my old sim and switch to copy to the new phone. it did not like the sim at all. emergency call only.

    plus the sim will only save 1 number. some of my contacts have 3 numbers. not sure if that will affect how the reader works.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    92
    Feedback Score
    0

    How the reader works

    Quote Originally Posted by NismoMax80
    i tried to copy to my old sim and switch to copy to the new phone. it did not like the sim at all. emergency call only.

    plus the sim will only save 1 number. some of my contacts have 3 numbers. not sure if that will affect how the reader works.
    With the reader you will save the contacts to the *NEW* SIM. The new SIM goes with the phone and so it will not be rejected, ie: emergency call only.

    I'm not sure how your particular handset works, but I was able to copy all my entries from my handset to SIM at once. Even listings that had 2-3 numbers saved, but they saved as separate entries on the SIM, rather than one.

    I then read removed and read that SIM card, after the card was read, I saved the info to the new SIM card, and all was well.

    You do loose things such a picture ID and I had to set the icons for home, work, cell, etc., but it was a lot easier than having to manually copy each one, one at a time.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Piedmont area of NC
    Posts
    419
    Phones
    Galaxy S4/32 JB 4.3
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Squirrel
    Good question, not sure if it'd work with Vista. They will never get me to upgrade to Vista, but that is another story.
    A quick Google search came up with this for Vista:
    http://www.anvstore.com/usb-sim-card-reader-vista.html
    http://askville.amazon.com/brand-car...uestId=5122203

    It appears that Vista is supported more broadly than I expected.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western Pa.
    Posts
    1,744
    Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sim Card Readers at Deal Extreme

    I have the first one. It came with a small program that will run strait from a flash drive and doen't need installed if you don't want.

    Contacts saved to the sim cards will not have all the options like saving to the phone. If you copy entries to the sim and then transfer them to another sim you will only get name and number. Everything else has to be updated once the contacts are in the new phone.

    Don't put a brand new sim in a phone to try to copy the contacts to it, you will lock the new sim to the old phone and then it won't work in the new one.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Piedmont area of NC
    Posts
    419
    Phones
    Galaxy S4/32 JB 4.3
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Jim,

    That first one is USB 1.1. I need it to work with Vista.

    Thanks for the warning about the new sim card. What's the correct procedure to copy contacts to a new sim?

Bookmarks