Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FIDO Unwanted Email OZMAIL SMS Spam!!

Feedback Score

FIDO Unwanted Email OZMAIL SMS Spam!!

Hi,

Since two days ago I start to receive text messages from 002624500 containing this text messages Mobile Email OZMAIL CI=53d2ffae3a204caa5d2a4321de825a2 MC=1 SE=

I dont have any idea of what is going on!! I called the company and they were even pissed off!! nobody can help me! I even tryied replying "stop" and its not working.

Im affraid of theses messages having any cost that could break my weak student budget.. without any help from nobody. In fact they say that this messages cost $5 dollar each.

Can somebody help me please?

Phone
    BLACKBERRY BOLD
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    If your a student and that poor get rid of the cell phone.

Feedback Score

Nice suggestion!

But as you might know this is 21st century and we cannot stay isolated (not even when you are in the library)..so this has become a need for me as is my only mean of communication.. no phone at home..
    Thanks!

Phones
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    LG 8600
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I really really hate students, and "oh poor me" reasoning. I don't care. I live 2000km from home, I have rent, cable, internet, home phone, cell phone, groceries, a car loan, insurance, and a credit card to pay. I don't know anybody where I am living. Students think they got it oh so tough... Welcome to the real world buddy, get used to it.

I'm afraid if my car needs repairs, another birthday comes up, or an appliance breaks; it will break me.

If I run out of Gas in my vehicle or get sick, I don't get paid. My bills don't get paid. I'm out of a place. I have a lot of stuff. With nowhere to go. Family is a 2 day drive away..in summer weather!

So cut the student crap. Everyone's on a budget.

Phones
    Motorola V80
    Motorola V600
    Nokia 6800
    Feedback Score
    I started getting these yesterday and I'm starting to get annoyed... got about 25 already..

Feedback Score
    Mr. North. Im fact I live the same situation as you, exactly the same (far, credit cards and no family). Congratulations! for you as for me to stay on a budget. The questions of this thread is about SMS Spam, not about students budget. Can I criticize you for complaining about the repair of your car ? I think that to do that is far stupid and useless to do..

Now..do you know about the question of the SMS by the way?

Phones
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    LG 8600
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I don't think it's stupid. I was just making a point that your not special because your a student. Everyone has expenses.

If it's bothering you that much, and it is unsolicited, reply stop. If that doesn't work, look up the company on the internet, get the phone number, call them, and ask them to stop.

If that doesn't work, you can either; block SMS by calling Fido, or you can change your phone number.

If all that doesn't work. Call Fido and tell them your a broke student. You will get free service for life

Phones
    Motorola Q9h
    Nokia E62
    Nokia 5140b
    Carriers
    FIDO [$56 UNL CDN w/2GB LTE+Value Pack]
    Lebara Mobile UK (PrePay)
    Feedback Score
    Myself and two other people I know are getting these messages as of the 29th. I called Fido to get help and all they could say was to reply "Stop" or "Stop All" (which I have done) and then told me that it was coming from a company in Australia and then I would have to contact them directly to resolve the issue. I'm hoping it's some kind of glitch and that will resolve itself.

I did some research and found some American customers of AT&T and Verizon who got these messages as well, and some said it stopped after 14 days, some said they replied "STOP" to 4884, some had to change a setting in their mobile email program and some had no resolution. The message apparently comes from Mobilemail, which is a creation of OZ Communications Inc. Their website is:

http://www.oz.com/

They were acquired by Nokia and have an office in Montreal. I tried calling but only got a machine, as it may have been too late in the day. Will try again in the New Year.

The thing is, I have never used Mobilemail nor have I switched my SIM into any other phone since November. And some sites suggest that may be a cause.

My suggestion is to call in to have it noted on your account that you are getting these messages so if you do get charged you can be credited back. I'm gonna do that in the morning as well.

Fido reps with knowledge please chime in with useful help. Anyone with a solution please let us know.
    MR. MOBILE

Feedback Score
    Mr. North, thanks for your info!!
    LOL, now you've revealed your secret to have a credit card, car and a cell phone!
    Thanks for all the tips.

Phones
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    LG 8600
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    No problem!

Doesn't work for me anymore though, cause I'm not a student

Don't tell anyone else

Phone
    SE P990i
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Ditto on receiving these unwanted messages.

I am concerned about the charges as well. The fido rep told me anywhere from $2-20 per text. The last thing I want is a $1000+ bill over some spam SMS's sent out by a questionable company.

I asked Fido and they will not deactivate my account until my month is up, nor will they block SMS messages. Apparently all accounts *must* be able receive text messages. Personally, I suspect they just want to be able to turn the knife as long as possible. Anyway I am considering reporting my phone stolen so Fido will freeze my account. This is of course a last recourse.

To Mr_north - get over yourself.

Phones
    iPhone
    iPhone #2 sealed backup
    iPhone #3 sealed backup
    Carriers
    Telus (Pay & Talk)
    President's Choice mobility
    Feedback Score
    PREPAID HOFO MOFOs All the way!!!!

I find it shocking that you cannot block certain types of premium text messages...

I could start a company and start changing any number I want!!!

Get this!, get a bunch of Virgin Mobile phones, activate them for $10, activate premium messages, them allow the account # to be recycled and then the next person will be charges $100 per day. All legal.

Phone
    SE P990i
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by free_gas
    Get this!, get a bunch of Virgin Mobile phones, activate them for $10, activate premium messages, them allow the account # to be recycled and then the next person will be charges $100 per day. All legal.
    As much as I understand how the Canadian Carriers work... YES.

This is scary. When I asked Fido directly they told me protecting customers was not a Fido issue, that I had to take it up with the company sending the Texts!

I have NO idea who is sending the texts.

And yes prepaid is looking better, except they rates (0.40/min) is criminal. I make most my calls by skype. Maybe I will switch full time.

Phone
    SE P990i
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Update:

Replying with "STOP" and "STOP ALL" has not stopped the incoming OZMAIL spam SMS messages. Perhaps it takes a day or so to take affect.

I phoned Fido Customer service again and this time finally got a Fido Rep who wouldn't instantly blow me off. They looked up the number the Texts were coming from but couldn't give any details so, right now its a mystery company. Next I was told that it is unofficial policy to offer a "get out of jail free" card for the first time you are inundated with these BS texts, if of course these unwanted texts are indeed the dreaded "Premium Texts" for which we get charged $$ per text. So watch your bill and you get dinged persue getting these charges removed. If the first rep won't do it, keep phoning back until you get one who will - and always remember speak clearly and calmly - its just their job to piss you off, they are probably good people when away from the call center

Finally the rep said we can lodge a formal complaint with the CRTC over these "Premium" services that are allowed to be levied without any warning or consent. Maybe if we work together and incessantly complain, the CRTC will actually do something useful for the general populous rather than screw us around.
    Last edited by mrwendell; 01-01-2009 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Added an additional sentence about getting charges removed

Phone
    Motorola SLVR
    Carrier
    Fido/Rogers, actually it's FiGers!
    Feedback Score
    I got these messages too. It started on Jan 1st, 2009. Welcome to 2009... so retarded...

Please post update guys/girls.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast