Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FIDO Unwanted Email OZMAIL SMS Spam!!

Feedback Score
    Thanks MrWendell!
    I reported my fido as lost for now... lets see how the invoice comes...
    I called again customer service but nothing new..nobody cares..
    I filled 2 months ago a complaint in CRTC but they refused to decide and send me again to carrier (my girl had the same problem but the "stop" msg worked ok in that case).

Device(s)
    SE P990i
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by latinloverinqc
    Thanks MrWendell!
    I filled 2 months ago a complaint in CRTC but they refused to decide and send me again to carrier (my girl had the same problem but the "stop" msg worked ok in that case).

Ack! Last week I was so close reporting my phone stolen, because of the potential charges that no one can tell me whether or not they were occurring. However I didn't, and after numerous calls and emails to various governing bodies in Canada it looks like that was the right decision.

Short code messages (the ones that can incur premium charges) are only 5-6 digits in Canada. The OZMAIL SMS's come from a number with 9 digits, therefore these cannot incur premium charges as they cannot go through the governing body. Furthermore the number sending the OZMAIL SMS appears to be an internal Fido number. That said, if you are normally charged for receiving regular SMS messages, the regular charges will apply.

Next I just got of the phone with Fido Customer Service again (6th time!) This time I asked to talk to a supervisor and presented them with the emails I got from the governing bodies. Finally, I got somewhere. This is a KNOWN problem to Fido as the tech support have multiple tickets open on this issue. Why regular customer support has no clue baffles me.

So everyone hang in, you might want to report that you miraculous recovered your phone.

Device(s)
    Motorola SLVR
    Carrier(s)
    Fido/Rogers, actually it's FiGers!
    Feedback Score
    I can safely say that i no longer receive those OZ Mail messages. I did 3 things. I don't know which one did the job but here they are...

1) Called OZ.com and they told me to call Fido.
    2) Sent a bunch of messages on facebook to the friends of the person that was implicated to the OZ Mail spam.
    3) Sent a text message "stop" to 4884 and 8448.

I think it's the number#3 that did the job. Good luck and report back.

Feedback Score

Thanks

Thanks for your replies!

I "found" my phone again and it seems like these SMS have stopped.
    Let's see if was a coincidence.
    Thanks for your posting and sharing.

Feedback Score
    Hello Everyone.. quick question are any of you using Moto Q9? Ozmail issues has been sent to WTS but the department needs more exemples, this is not a premium and texting STOP will not stop it. I suggest you call in customer service and ask the agent to talk to the WTS department so they can add your exemple to the ticket.
    As for ozmail.. as far as what I know about it, some Q9 users have found that by going to the support page for you windows live id (because this seems linked somehow to your windows live id) and turning the sms notification off, the sms stops.
    I have also read of poeple writting to microsoft support as well and were able to get them to stop the ozmail. You would have to try it for yourself, I havent had the chance to confirm with any customer at this time if this info is usefull... so keep me updated please!

Hope this can help you!

Device(s)
    Motorola V300
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I've been getting similar messages from 32334 or something like that, and even after I replied with STOP, it still didn't make a difference. FIDO said there is nothing they can do because they've already paid the company, and they cannot tell who it is. They are not helpful at all, and will not do anything on their end. Meanwhile, the consumer keeps on getting hit with these so-called Premium Messages that were never subscribed to. Awful and heart-breaking that there is no consumer protectionism. The company you give your business to seems to do nothing to help you, except charge you. It is always the consumer's fault according to FIDO.

Feedback Score
    I too began receiving this unwanted email last Friday March 4. I also tried to replied many times telling them to stop sending message but it did not work. Just wonder if Fido will do something about this but if they won't then I have to get rid of this provider.

Feedback Score
    So, I've started to get these messages on Friday and now it's over 50. At first I thought it was spam but I'm pretty sure now someone setup their email account with my number. I've concluded that this person is likely a student, looking for work, giving up their rental accommodations and leaving on an Air Canada flight. I called Fido on Friday and they said send a message STOP back but that didn't work.

Now I'm fairly certain that it Mobilemail feature and it should be free as notifications are free as per the faq. Reading and Sending cost 20 cents but I'm using a non fido blackberry without the mobilemail program so I can't do that.

Can fido do something about this? Or do I have to get a fido phone go into this app, see what email address it is and email it so the person can fix it?

Feedback Score

unwanted OZmail text messages

Call Fido again and again until you find a customer representative who have the knowledge about this. Tell them that replying STOP doesn't work. If they cannot stop it by themselves then ask them for a new number. If they insist that it's your fault and offer no help then get rid of this provider. One was patient and helpful with me to solve this problem. I have no idea about the fees because I didn't receive my bill since I got those annoying text messages

Feedback Score
    I called in on my way to work and explained the situation again. There system was down but she was able to ask technical help for a solution. What they came back was to message stop to 3436 (fido). I got a notice a message back from 30505000 saying I was unsubscribed to whatever was spaming me. I haven't gotten a message in the last 4 hours so it seems to work.

I take it back. It didn't work I got another notice about 10 minutes ago.
    Last edited by Koolfire; 03-16-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Okay...this has been happening to me for the last week and its costing me money. I'm on a prepaid plan and it seems that each time this happens it costs me $5....I contacted Fido and am waiting for a response.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Please go to CCTS. Fido will have to refund your money back and do something to block these.

http://ccts-cprst.ca

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by latinloverinqc View Post
    Thanks MrWendell!
    CCTS deals with these not CRTC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2