Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can a generic car charger ruin your phone battery??

Device(s)
    Sanyo Katana Eclipse
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Can a generic car charger ruin your phone battery??

Sprint sent me the Instinct for free, so I figured I would try it. I am going to order one of the silicone cases for it and was wondering if I get one on eBay with the car chargers, will the cheap ones ruin the battery?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    The answer to your question is yes. However I'd say it would be unusual for a cheapo car charger to ruin your battery -- both the charger and your phone would have to "conspire" to have it happen, particularly on modern phones where the phone itself usually does the charging protocol and the charger is usually a dumb voltage source.

It would be more likely that the cheapo car charger simply doesn't work well... I've seen that more often than not...

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-tmb rugby 3
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy
    The answer to your question is yes. However I'd say it would be unusual for a cheapo car charger to ruin your battery -- both the charger and your phone would have to "conspire" to have it happen, particularly on modern phones where the phone itself usually does the charging protocol and the charger is usually a dumb voltage source.

It would be more likely that the cheapo car charger simply doesn't work well... I've seen that more often than not...
    IMO, you've given a fair and reasonable answer.

Over last 10+ years, I've used a lot of after market chargers, both car and home types, as I can buy several of the cheap ones for the cost of one "good" one.
    In this entire time, I've had maybe 3-4 batteries just drop dead, and most of these were at least several months old. On the other hand, the other hundred or so batteries seemed just fine. Some of these charges themselve fail early. But I've also noticed that having a cheap charger available is far better than no charger.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I would NOT recommend using an aftermarket charger with your handset. We, as technicians, are able to verify that a handset has used an aftermarket charger about 90% of the time, and per manufacturer policy, we MUST void all warranties.

Basically, use it at your own risk.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanBounca
    I would NOT recommend using an aftermarket charger with your handset. We, as technicians, are able to verify that a handset has used an aftermarket charger about 90% of the time, and per manufacturer policy, we MUST void all warranties.

Basically, use it at your own risk.
    Well then Sprint better stop selling aftermarket chargers.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    How can you tell if a cell phone has used an after market charger? I am not saying it is impossible, but the only thing that a generic charger can do is effect your battery, which is rarely covered by warranty to begin with. So if a person sends in their phone for warranty repair without the battery, please state a few examples (90% of the time as you stated) of how you can tell the phone used a knock off charger. Thanks

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by htrony
    How can you tell if a cell phone has used an after market charger? I am not saying it is impossible, but the only thing that a generic charger can do is effect your battery, which is rarely covered by warranty to begin with. So if a person sends in their phone for warranty repair without the battery, please state a few examples (90% of the time as you stated) of how you can tell the phone used a knock off charger. Thanks
    When we receive a handset, we receive the battery aswell. The battery will swell when an aftermarket charger is used. There is a rare exception an OEM charger caused it, but we're told to safely assume it's an aftermarket charger. We've seen burn marks on the main board, 'caused by an aftermarket charger. We've actually seen some come in with melted D/C jacks. I may have been exagerating by 90%, but I'd safely say more around 70%.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Way back many many years ago my ex g/f had a cheap charger for her Nextel i50sx and within a month of using it, the mainboard on the phone blew out. I took it in to get it looked at, and the cause was a faulty charger causing power surges. I am sure the battery was affected too, but I replaced it regardless..

I've always used OEM chargers (both car and home). To me saving a few bucks is not worth the possibility of the phone dying.

Device(s)
    Joined HoFo: April 2002
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy
    . . . it would be unusual for a cheapo car charger to ruin your battery . . .
    Another consideration is that cheap aftermarket chargers usualy lack the ferrite choke on the wire that supresses high frequency interference.

Feedback Score
    I Call a big BS on this

Device(s)
    HTC Vouge
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint Emp Plan
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanBounca
    When we receive a handset, we receive the battery aswell. The battery will swell when an aftermarket charger is used. There is a rare exception an OEM charger caused it, but we're told to safely assume it's an aftermarket charger. We've seen burn marks on the main board, 'caused by an aftermarket charger. We've actually seen some come in with melted D/C jacks. I may have been exagerating by 90%, but I'd safely say more around 70%.

really dude? i've used aftermarket chargers (both home and car) on multiple phones over the years and NONE of my batteris have swelled.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I have used cheap aftermarket chargers on many of my phones for years. Never had a single problem with any of them.
    Sprint user since 1997

Device(s)
    Joined HoFo: April 2002
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larryt510
    I have used cheap aftermarket chargers on many of my phones for years. Never had a single problem with any of them.
    The only problem I've ever had with aftermarket chargers is poor product quality, including loose fitting connectors, cheap connectors that fail, and wires that break off due to inadequate strain relief.

Device(s)
    A lot of them
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My problem with aftermarket is the cords are SO short!

The iPhone is the biggest problem, 1 foot long cord, for a car charger. I've yet to find a decent length on ANY car charger for the iphone. and apple hasn't released one yet.

I found the same to be true with the mini USB chargers, compared to Moto OEM. Same with Micro USB. I miss the Sprint Pin chargers, they had long cords, so does sprint's treo charger.

Verizon on the other hand has crappy accessories. I typically get OEM from the U.S. Cellular store, that's all they stock.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthroMatt
    Well then Sprint better stop selling aftermarket chargers.
    I second that! I wish Sprint would say I have been using an aftermarket charger. I would then turn right around and show them the aftermarket bull crap they sale for too high a price! That would be one hypocritical statement for a Sprint employee to make.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast