Thread: AT&T 3G Rollout - Latest markets launching II

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

I-11 is coming in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
    AT&T updated their maps sometime in the last 1-2 weeks to add some new 3G coverage -- yes, 3G -- in several previously GSM-only areas.

These include:

Wikieup, AZ
    I drove down US-93 through Wikieup last October -- they didn't have 2G coverage at that time, it was Edge at best. In fact, coverage was bad from 5 miles south of I-40 on US-93 all the way down to Wickenburg, AZ.

The only reason I can see is the proposed I-11 project linking the Mexican border, through Phoenix and up to Las Vegas, NV and beyond in the next number of years.

BTW, Verizon always had great 3G coverage in Wikieup for years prior.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Google Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The WB View Post

The only reason I can see is the proposed I-11 project linking the Mexican border, through Phoenix and up to Las Vegas, NV and beyond in the next number of years.
    I-11 would be a waste of money, resources and just encourage more of the "pave and burn" mentality. Thankfully, the days of endless Interstate and road building are over, freight rail is booming, Amtrak is setting record after record on passenger numbers and high speed rail is coming on strong (CA has already started building theirs, others, including the L.A. to Vegas train are starting this year, or very soon, or are in the planning and deployment stages), and it's about time.

Feedback Score
    This brings up an interesting topic, though. I wonder what the process is for carriers to build new sites along newly-built highways, or how long that usually takes.

A good example is Corridor H in West Virginia, which started construction in 2002 and isn't going to be fully completed until into the early 2040s, at current estimates, given the terrain involved. However, large sections of the highway are open, and have been for a few years. U.S. Cellular and AT&T (the main two providers in the state) cover mainly only the cities that the highway passes through (Wardensville, Moorefield, Thomas/Davis, etc.) but not the actual highway, for the most part.

This is a major four lane highway, not a rural country route, and has already become the main way for residents from Baltimore, MD/Washington, DC to get to the national forest and parks in the area for various activities, given that the area is very popular for skiing, hiking, climbing, mountain biking, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_48

http://www.wvcorridorh.com

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18