Thread: Any Old Cell Phone Collectors Out There?

Phones
    Verizon iPhone 4
    Razr V3 (retired, backup if needed), LG Dare (retired, plan to sell)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Question Any Old Cell Phone Collectors Out There?

A Message to Moderators: I originally posted this under the "Mobile Technologies/News/Investing/Issues" topic but it didn't get any responses. Either nobody cares or I posted it under the wrong topic. LOL. Anyway, please put this under the topic which you think appropriate and maybe it will get more responses. Thanks!

================================================== ======

From the looks of the article in the link below there doesn't seem to many Mobile Phone Collectors and it might be a lucrative hobby collectingl old cell phones.

Where are the Mobile Phone Collectors?

One Collection

By the way, Steve.G's avatar with the photo of the old mobile phone prompted me to research this on the web and ask the question. The earliest cell phone my family had was back in 1993 which was some huge cell phone in a leather carry bag which my wife bought. I think it was Motorola but I am not sure. I wish I had kept it because maybe it will become a collector's item. I recall hearing that the original IBM PC (one 5.25" floppy drive with no hard drive) is now considered a collectors' item as many owners tossed them long ago.

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Assimilated on Aug 7 1993
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Ive been Dared: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 240X400 LGE VX9700)

i have all of mine dating back to 93. a Nokia full 3 watt with its own battery. the first gen non bag phone. i also have verizons first digital offering. another Nokia the size and weight of a brick. i also have a qualcom that was was a first gen mobile web phone along with a first gen texting machine by LG the 330. ive got the first outer screen phone the LG 510. the first startac their first LG color phone the 4400. a v111 a vx10 an a930 a 6100 a Nokia Candy bar with changeable faceplate and some more modern ones. they all still work though most cant be activated anymore due to changes in digital communications
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16

Phones
    Verizon iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    MountainBikerMark, you are a true collector! Doing a search on the web, I don't see many mobile phone collecting websites.

Phones
    Verizon iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What a little search refinement will do!!!!

Vintage Cell Phones

http://www.retrobrick.com/

First Cell Phone Commercial

Steve.G? LOL

vintagemobilephones.com

The Motorola DynaTac 8000x

The worlds first mobile phone was the Motorola DynaTac 8000x. It went on sale in 1983 in the US at the staggering price of $3995, and despite the price tag, was an instant success and had waiting lists of up to six months! It was followed in 1987 by the 8000s and in 1990 by the 8000m. These phones are all analogue.

Because these were the first truly mobile phones, they are amongst the most collectible and therefore amongst the most expensive.
    Last edited by phoney123; 01-02-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Phones
    Verizon iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Dr. Martin Cooper

"Dr Martin Cooper, a former general manager for the systems division at Motorola, is considered the inventor of the first portable handset and the first person to make a call on a portable cell phone in April 1973. The first call he made was to his rival, Joel Engel, Bell Labs head of research. Cheeky.

Consumers were so impressed by the concept of being always accessible with a portable phone that waiting lists for the DynaTAC 8000X were in the thousands, despite the initial $ 3,995 retail price."

Link

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Ive been Dared: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 240X400 LGE VX9700)

im not a collecter i am a packrat. i just never got around to disposing of them and try them out every now and then to keep the batteries alive. the Nokia battery no longer works but its 15 years old NICAD so its expected. i didnt mention the microtacs as they are a dime a dozen. both flip and non flip. this Dare will join the atttic filler some day too.

Phones
    Verizon iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    biker, do you know if the Motorola DynaTac 8000x is rare?

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Feedback Score

probably is now since it was carried by Zac all over on that 80s sitcom about a bunch of spoiled kids from Ca iin high school. dont remember thename but it had Zac,Screech and a bunch of other dated 80s dorks. the stereotypical high school years sitcom of its day. people probably equate that phone with things they wish to forget about the 80s and trashed it lol

Feedback Score

Cool

That's silly we all know who really came up with cell phones
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGyQVO62QM0

Feedback Score
    Not a Dare thread.