Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any adult Sidekick users? (over 25)

Device(s)
    Fujitsu F906i
    Carrier(s)
    NTT DoCoMo
    Feedback Score
    @ 23 my american phone is a sidekick only on account of its the only Japanese Manufacturer i knew of that was with T-Mobile They now have the TM-506 but when i first got mine it was only phone made in Japan

Device(s)
    Sidekick Slide
    Carrier(s)
    T mobile
    Feedback Score
    43 and love my sidekick slide. The only thing I'm missing is mass texting.

Device(s)
    MyTouch Slide 3G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    was 37 when i got a sk slide and was 38 when i gave it to my sis and got a dash. a couple of things that bugged me were that i couldn't make my own ringtones, the video and the trackball. at least with the blackberry, you can remove the trackball to clean it and put it back together. all this was before the video update. i'm worried about the sk when the trackball stops working because i don't know where to send it to get fixed, how much it will cost and things like that.

but i must admit i liked it alot, preferred it over the lx, just seems a bit too long use as a phone, granted i got a bt headset for it. if this new rumored sk 3g comes out, i might consider getting it. although i also want a blackberry, so if the sk 3g comes out, i'm gonna have a difficult decision on my hands....lol

Feedback Score
    lx here sk all the way

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
    Just recently retired my Sidekick LX (because of confusion between me and the carrier and them pulling my plan off and couldn't get it back) but I must say, it was one of the best phones ive used. Impressed all my friends with it considering no one, and i mean no one, has it in Canada. or atleast at my school. I'm 16 so I guess it was a good phone for me got a Blackberry Bold though, I'm sure gunna miss the amazingly large screen and the crazy swivel/flip screen. Oh well...
    The confusion was NOT your fault - but the intention of Rogers. Notice how when Fido was bought by Rogers, the sale price of the SK II remained the same ($499 Retail; no contract; $399 on 2yr contract) ?!?!!! Because of this and trying to market it to youth here in Canada destroyed it. The SK II was VERY VERY popular in the minds of youths and a few young adults here - no BlackBerry at that time could compare let alone have a camera or MicroSD card.

What WAS sweet was anyone on Fido with a SK B&W, Color or SK II back then actually only paid the $25/mth for IM, Unlimited Email, and Web Browsing (all inclusive) even though our $1CAN = $0.72US cents during that time!!

However, major deals with Rogers & RIM (BlackBerry) and the promise of continued climb on corporate contracts for BB's on BES data plans to the tune of $75/mth on top of voice plans on activations of double/triple-digits per transaction pretty much sealed the marketing fate of SK here in Canada.

To be honest the SK can be VERY VERY popular now if ONLY Danger, INC followed the simple formula.

1. Improve on the Java OS! BlackBerry's run on this OS and in many was its VERY VERY similar. Both are MIDP2.1 and CLDC based at its core, and both use a NOC for routing IM, Emails, and data over a provider APN.

2. Open up the Java OS (incl API's) to developers!! Do NOT screw them by voiding the warranty on their hardware for testing their apps - considering this device is the FIRST Phone/Smartphone EVER to support and implement OTA Firmware Updates!! Danger was WELL ahead of the times and so behind in MANY ways.

3. Design a device with new open API's; and work with Sharp, Microsoft (IM, Hotmail, USB backup of content and sync & installations, finally marketing), and bring in LG/Samsung into the hardware mix.
    * Give us 3G already! File sizes for MP3's, recorded video, pictures, etc are too large even in compression for a NOC to be continuously stable. Also the device will seem WAY too slow for end users to fully enjoy sharing content - there IS a limit patience timeline with devices (4-7seconds).
    * Give us a 3.2MP AF QUALITY camera with HVGA/VGA video recording @ 30fps! This ALONE will boost sales immensely.
    * Give us Motion-Sensors; developers are getting VERY creative with making games and the continued solid builds of ALL SKs - save that screen being flicked off in the past (SK II or earlier from what I recall) - are meant for this. Especially the target market.

4. Open the Catalog to registered developers (SDK's offered for FREE = more developers)!! Allow a fair profit sharing of 30% Danger, 70% Private-Developers. However let pricing model be 50/50% for corporate developing houses; they can afford it and usually have the resources to release apps quickly and repeatedly more over the course of a firmware cycle. Also their suggested price which Danger will agree on is more costsly.

5. Bring in Word, Excel Editing!! This alone will appeal to the older crowd; however esquisite styling and higher end hardware/software features must match for this crowd. But allowing it on similar hardware/same hardware with great styling options will keep the youth enticed and allow them to grow with the device and keep the service.

6. Bring BACK heavy marketing OUTSIDE the USA and bring it back to Rogers for the Fido brand along with APN (or better yet KILL the NOC and APN model entirely as the costs are just TOO high and really no longer needed). If you can keep the NOC working over a regular data APN then you've just re-invented the wheel and improved upon yourselves while reducing costs!!

7. Two Distinct 3G models:
    Tmobile USA's
    and standard Triband 850/1900/2100Mhz for Euro roaming.

8. Top end model - especially the one marketed to the older crowd gets the WLAN!! Allow the NOC to work with this as well.

PS. Which model is the Sidekick 2008?? IS this essentially the SK III or the LX? considering this as a phone for my daughter unless the wife takes it from her. Thanks (PM me the answer, please).
    Formerly: Prom1, now I'm Supa_Fly!!
    My Feedback

Feedback Score
    31 nyc ill never give

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Sidekick 2008
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Im 27 and i use a sidekick 08. I hate blackberry's. I know most older people use a blackberry, but the reality is, is that i can do everything on a Sidekick 2X as fast. So im sticking with the sidekick. I was told by a chick in the club, that i had a kids phone. I was bout to go off on her. LOL

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus x 2 lines
    Feedback Score
    the deaf and hard of hearing community probably is probably the biggest user of hiptop devices. so you'll find alot of adults using them there.

outside of that, i know that I've seen many seniors using them because of the ergonomics of the device, and the fact its easy to use.
    Disclaimer: If this is an answer to a TECHNICAL QUESTION, then MY ANSWER is correct, even if its contradicting something that a tech support rep, or anyone else said. I am not giving you the answer YOU WANT, I'll give you the answer I know is CORRECT.
    If this is about CARRIER POLICY, then you should probably be aware that carriers change their policy unexpectedly, and inexplicably. Even if the answer is correct when posted, it could very well be wrong in a day, or week.

Device(s)
    Lg G2X (Me)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Monthly
    Feedback Score
    Yes, for us deaf folks, the Sidekick can be a fantastic device. I had thought of giving it up and going to another provider, but when I noticed that Microsoft Live Search was available for my LX (and the fact that it was free) made my scrap my plan to move to another carrier.

For $1 a day, I get unlimited texting, e-mail web, IM, the use of 2 TTY relay services and now maps, directions movie times (not like I need them) and gas prices delivered to the SK for free, why go anywhere else?

Now I'm saving for the new SK!
    T-Mobile’s new marketing campaign for Vermont and Western New Hampshire:
    “Try T-Mobile’s blazingly fast GPRS data network. We’re faster than iDEN and TDMA combined!”

Device(s)
    Nokia N900 (I Like)
    Carrier(s)
    Deutche Telekom (USA version)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, with the new SK LX 2009 model, there will be more adults using the Sidekick. New looks, Exchange email access and gps...not to mention the older "facebook, twitter, myspace" crowd. This phone will be in the hands of more adults very soon.
    "Hack the Planet!!"

Device(s)
    Iphone 3GS
    Feedback Score
    I have been a fan of the sidekick since the BW version. A friend of mine went out and got it the first day it came out.

At first I couldn't understand why he would need it, but with all the cool stuff he could do, its a pretty amazing device.

Back then I had issues with tmobile service, and cancelled my contract, and am ready to go back now after some major network upgrades and see how this new sidekick blade is going to be.

I'm using a blackberry storm right now, and it is painfully slow to do anything.

I know a few people who are older than 25 with a sidekick lx, and the speed at which they bang out messages is pretty insane, in addition to navigating everything else.

I am 28 and will be giving the new sidekick a shot come may 13th.

Feedback Score
    If your trackball stops working with regular wear (like mine did) tmobile will send you a refurbished one within one year. Actually I asked for a replacement because the screen stopped working but then it started working a few days later but they said i could still keep the new one.

I was planing on getting the BB8900 or a different phone but im going to wait and see how the new lx is. It has almost everything I wanted from the old one. 3G, better camera, flash. its kind of rediculous that they inceased the data plan 15$.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just signed back up with T-Mobile yesterday via Wirefly and ordered a 08 SK to hold me over until the SK LX 09 drops and I'm coming from the Blackberry. I prefer the ease of the SK over any device. Doesn't matter what age you are, use what works for you and others need to be more concerned about what they're doing instead of what other people are doing.

Device(s)
    Samsung 807
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    51 here -- started with the original BW sidekick, upgraded to the color version, then the sidekick II and have used it on daily basis for about 4 years -- prefer this version to the newer models due to the rubberized keys and no trackball. Have company issued Blackberry, and MUCH prefer the sidekick II for emailing. Tried a non-3G iPhone for 6 weeks and couldn't adjust to the virtual keyboard - sold it on CL. I can compose a lengthy email on the sidekick II in half the time as the next best phone I've sampled.

Plan to seriously look at the 3G version on May 13.

Speed

Device(s)
    Nokia n80,Music xpress,Moto Razr v3x,Razr v3 Black.Samsung D600,D500 u600
    Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Im 36 and with the exception of the ID and the slide....I have had all the SK models. Its easy to use and gets the job done. Like many here I have had and still do have many phones. All types. Sliders,querty..blah blah blah. The SK is great at what it does. Wouldn't leave the house without it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast