Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My text messages go to two phones - old and new.

Feedback Score

My text messages go to two phones - old and new.

1) I am on the telus network.
    2) recently switched phones - got into the 8830 black berry.
    3) was using the motorola RAzr 2

Everything seems to be working fine, but if my old phone (motorolla) is powered on.... it will actually still receive text messages that are sent to my phone number. They show up on my new Black berry and also on the motorolla. The motorola is not even active any more. I tried to call out on it... and you get the call telus to activate blah blah message. If you try to send a text message from that phone... it errors with unable to send. But have someone send me a message.... goes to both???? Does not make sense..
    I then tested a little further... turn off the motorolla. send a message from my wifes phone to my phone. It comes to my black berry. turn on the motorolla....wait.... no message. send another with the phone on and ..Bang... there it comes again. wtf ????
    This could even be cool, but I just dont understand. The phones have different ESN's. The one that shows on the mytelusmobilty is only for the the newer phone (black berry).

Any ideas why this would be?

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 8330: BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

This is a known issue with TELUS. It will only happen if the phones are in the same room. You can stop it by activating the old phone on a different account temporarily. I think DNA has a work around to un-link it as well. I'm not sure if all reps know about it though. It's nothing to worry about.

Phones
    Q10 (active)
    Z10 (retired)
    Bold 9900 (retired)
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Could try leaving the deactivated phone off?

Phones
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 5s
    iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCM
    Could try leaving the deactivated phone off?
    LOL classic

- 3 Years Signed -
    Data: $30 6GB
    Voice: $30

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Its not because they are in the same room. They are both 'connected' the to nearest tower and your Razr is still programmed with your phone number. SMS isn't ESN based. When you send someone a text, you put their phone number in, not their ESN.

If you don't plan on using the phone, you have a 2 options.
    1. Turn the phone off.
    2. Deprogram your phone - DNA/CC will have to assist with manual programming unless you know how.

I strongly recommend deprogramming your phone especially if you plan on selling it or donating it. While it may not be active on an account, from my understanding it could still be used to call 911. If your number is programmed into it and someone called 911, you might be in for a surprise.

Phones
    Bell BB 9530
    Telus BB 9530
    Rogers BB 9000
    Carriers
    All of them,
    Big time phone addict,
    Feedback Score
    Same with Bell, after 4-5 days it should stop. Update your phone *22803 should clear up everything

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmER
    Same with Bell, after 4-5 days it should stop. Update your phone *22803 should clear up everything
    With TELUS it wont stop. My Treo hasn't been active in over a year and I'll still get texts on it if I turn the radio on.

Phone
    Fries Supreme
    Carrier
    Taco Bell
    Feedback Score
    If you know your phone's lock code, you can change the data and MIN/MDN programming which will cause the phone to stop receiving the text. To change data, you dial ##DATA, to change MIN/MDN you dial ##TELUS. Just change your number and your login for the data and nothing will work. Also a good trick to stop your kids from browsing online.

Phones
    Bell BB 9530
    Telus BB 9530
    Rogers BB 9000
    Carriers
    All of them,
    Big time phone addict,
    Feedback Score
    ^awesome learn something new everyday

Phones
    Active: iPhone 4S (Telus), HTC Touch (Bell), BlackBerry Z10 (Rogers), Sony Xperia U (Fido)
    Retired: HTC Status, Desire HD, Diamond, P4000 / Moto Charm, W385, V2267/ BB 8520, 8220, 8310
    iPhone 3GS/ Nokia E71/ LG 8100, 520 / Audiovox 8900 / Sony Ericsson T206
    Carrier
    Telus, Bell, Rogers, Fido
    Feedback Score
    Yup I remember when I first saw this, it was like 3 AM in the morning and I was using the old phone as a alarm.

To test I turned on 5 of my old phones at the same time and lined them up together. Only the active phone and the first one that was turned on received the message. I tried fooling around if it would only use the last phone that was deactivated, but it doesn't matter. Pretty cool to receive a sms on a phone that was deactivated 3 years ago.
    Five years on HowardsForums

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmER
    This is a form of over the air programming for your phone. It will do NOTHING to stop this.

As fooledme stated, you have to change settings in you phone that will prevent this. That's why I said you may need assistance from DNA/CC to obtain your lock code.

Phones
    BB 9780
    BB 8130
    BB 8330
    Carriers
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TradeMarck
    Its not because they are in the same room.
    This issue pops up in the forums about every 6 months and every time the old phone only gets the txt when the old phone and new phone are close together (i.e. in the same room).

There was a great explanation about how this happens about a year ago

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseApe
    This issue pops up in the forums about every 6 months and every time the old phone only gets the txt when the old phone and new phone are close together (i.e. in the same room).

There was a great explanation about how this happens about a year ago
    Test it. I have. As long as both phones are within range of the same tower this will happen. Proximity between the two phones is irrelevant.

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    ok we know we all have this issue but which fix do i use?

last week my dad came to visit from Toronto and while he is here, i had planned to gave him my "i dont like telus loaner phones so i have my own" he turns it on to start to plat with it but then my boyfriend started texting me things...

i pulled the battery out and gave some BS that i cant activate it yet but he'll be here for 4 months...

a real solution would be fantastic!

Phones
    Active: iPhone 4S (Telus), HTC Touch (Bell), BlackBerry Z10 (Rogers), Sony Xperia U (Fido)
    Retired: HTC Status, Desire HD, Diamond, P4000 / Moto Charm, W385, V2267/ BB 8520, 8220, 8310
    iPhone 3GS/ Nokia E71/ LG 8100, 520 / Audiovox 8900 / Sony Ericsson T206
    Carrier
    Telus, Bell, Rogers, Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milfette
    ok we know we all have this issue but which fix do i use?

last week my dad came to visit from Toronto and while he is here, i had planned to gave him my "i dont like telus loaner phones so i have my own" he turns it on to start to plat with it but then my boyfriend started texting me things...

i pulled the battery out and gave some BS that i cant activate it yet but he'll be here for 4 months...

a real solution would be fantastic!
    Now there's a security issue. Of course the message should stop coming in once it's programmed with the other number right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast