Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain to me why i can't install about 50% of what i want onto my E71x?

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    you have one of the ONLY versions of that phone that exists right now. so dont get so frustrated with the problems you are having installing stuff. obviously unbranded e71 has no restrictions and runs a different firmware. eventually you can probably flash that thing with factory firmware if you wish. but you will lose the ATT apps on there.
    Current Device: Nexus One
    Phone History: |N97 Mini| |5800| |E71-2| |N95-4| |N95-3| |N75| |6131| |6230| |SE T616|

| My HoFo Feedback |

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The reports stated that the E71x was supposed to come with FP2 and if that's the case then you likely won't see compatibility with a lot of apps. Can you post pics? Can you find a help/about screen that shows the firmware version?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerPodacter
    you have one of the ONLY versions of that phone that exists right now. so dont get so frustrated with the problems you are having installing stuff. obviously unbranded e71 has no restrictions and runs a different firmware. eventually you can probably flash that thing with factory firmware if you wish. but you will lose the ATT apps on there.
    Personally I'd be hesitant to change the product code to install unbranded firmware on an FP2 device (if it is FP2) as I'm not sure what changes were made to software/hardware for the ATT version. Be careful!

Phones
    N900 (It rocks!!)
    N96 (for 3G needs)
    E71
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    How'd you pick it up from the guy? Was it like some low-level lab-rat guy?

Phones
    Nokia E71x
    Nokia N95-3
    BB Bold
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgonesh
    Personally I'd be hesitant to change the product code to install unbranded firmware on an FP2 device (if it is FP2) as I'm not sure what changes were made to software/hardware for the ATT version. Be careful!
    Yeah im leaning away from trying to change my prod code til I can confirm this. How do i find out if it's a FP2 device? I have no idea aside from *#0000#

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerd00d
    Aye, I do think i have the newest firmware. RM-462 is what I get under the *#0000# thing. I google'd and saw something like RM-347 or something around that was the newest E71 firmware. Apparently i'm screwed for right now? Why isn't it letting me install Nokia Conversation though? I tried installing via phone and PC Suite with the same results. The error I get is "Unable to install, component is builtin"* when i go to install the Phonebook Extension Manager. According to a site the E71x is actually an E71-5. Is that right?

Am i also correct that this thing cannot be switched to GSM mode only? It's locked to 3g like the stupid Blackberry Bold I just traded for this thing. I'm starting to want my Bold back now....grrrr.
    *Did you try sending messages back and forth to see if Conversations is already installed?
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerd00d
    Yeah im leaning away from trying to change my prod code til I can confirm this. How do i find out if it's a FP2 device? I have no idea aside from *#0000#
    Browse through the menus, look for a Help folder and see if there is an About option. On my E71 it just says Nokia E71 and doesn't say FP1 anywhere. I'm still trying to figure out where you could tell. Can you post pics of it and some of the menus?

Phones
    Nokia E71x
    Nokia N95-3
    BB Bold
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri
    *Did you try sending messages back and forth to see if Conversations is already installed?
    I've sent texts before on it and it acts like the N95 I have here. I have Conversation installed on the N95-3 here and it's definitely not on the E71x.

Phones
    Nokia E71x
    Nokia N95-3
    BB Bold
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Attera
    How'd you pick it up from the guy? Was it like some low-level lab-rat guy?
    nah the kid was like 17, said his dad didn't like it anymore. I figured it was just a regular E71 you can get from Best Buy. He had a t-mobile sim in it.

Phones
    Nokia E71x
    Nokia N95-3
    BB Bold
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgonesh
    The reports stated that the E71x was supposed to come with FP2 and if that's the case then you likely won't see compatibility with a lot of apps. Can you post pics? Can you find a help/about screen that shows the firmware version?
    I got Screenshot installed, but i haven't found anything else but this. The theme is Gmail something or other i found, not the stock one. If you guys have anything else you want a SS of, let me know and i'll try to grab one.

Phones
    i9100 Galaxy S2
    HTC One X
    GALAXY NEXUS
    Carrier
    ROGERS
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are changes in fp2 that are easy to spot like
    -Fp2 shows the time in almost every screen
    -when a memory card is installed there is a small indicator on the home screen
    -when you hold the menu button the task manager is displayed accross the bottom, horizontally instead of vertically
    When in an app if you press the left softkey to see the options menu the top item says show running apps, or something to that effect

These are just a few of the obvious ones that spring to mind. is your os like this or just like your n95?
    SEE MY FEEDBACK HERE
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=579659

past phones:
    Entirely too many phones to list...the search continues

Phone
    Nexus 4, iP5S, GS4...
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    hmmm.. I remember seeing this unit on craigslist in the dfw area and did think about picking it up..
    Its a rare piece thats for sure..
    My World Phone dot com is a VERY SHADY seller. Click here for details

My Toys: '10 M5 : '12 Blown LS7 : iP5S : GS4 : Nexus N4 : N95-4 : E71-2 [Sold]

Phones
    Nokia E71x
    Nokia N95-3
    BB Bold
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M5Rahul
    hmmm.. I remember seeing this unit on craigslist in the dfw area and did think about picking it up..
    Its a rare piece thats for sure..
    totally offtopic, which chassis M5 do you have? I recognize your screen name from somewhere. I actually posted an ad on CL offering my BB Bold up for trade and he contacted me. Not sure if it's the same phone, there are 5 or 6 in the DFW Craigslist right now, i emailed all of them when i was looking. Not knowing this device hasn't been released. It is indeed FP2.

Phones
    Nokia E71x
    Nokia N95-3
    BB Bold
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hondaguy
    There are changes in fp2 that are easy to spot like
    -Fp2 shows the time in almost every screen
    -when a memory card is installed there is a small indicator on the home screen
    -when you hold the menu button the task manager is displayed accross the bottom, horizontally instead of vertically
    When in an app if you press the left softkey to see the options menu the top item says show running apps, or something to that effect

These are just a few of the obvious ones that spring to mind. is your os like this or just like your n95?
    All signs point to FP2. It's similar to the N95 at first glance, but every one of these changes are apparent in this one. So what do i do now?

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    WE Model 302
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hondaguy
    i used the guide on symbian-guru last night and changed my product code as i have the nam version that didnt get the update.
    It worked very well for me on my E71-2 as well, but I'd understand if somebody were paranoid about it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast