Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide and introduction to keitais!

Device(s)
    FOMA SH905i by Sharp - Blue
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Guide and introduction to keitais!

I will cover the following topics:

1) How to "break-in" your new Japanese phone + SIM hack
    2) How to "revive" or do "CPR" to your phone if it loses the signal and fails to reconnect
    3) What to do when travelling in areas with poor reception

How to "break-in" your new Japanese phone + SIM hack

When you first receive your SIM hack, attach it to your SIM card and place it into your NON-Japanese phone. Use it for two to three days, and make / receive calls occasionally, as well as text messages.

After two to three days, place the SIM + SIM hack into your new Japanese phone and use it normally.

This step will help your SIM hack work properly with your new phone. Your Japanese phone + SIM hack is now considered "broken-in".

How to "revive" or do "CPR" to your phone if it loses the signal and fails to reconnect

1) If your Japanese phone loses the signal and does not reconnect, then take the SIM + SIM hack out, and place it inside your non-Japanese phone.
    2) If your phone is able to get a signal, make a call but it doesn't matter how long you talk for. Just as long as it rings on the other end of the line. If your phone does NOT get a signal, that means you are in an area with poor reception, and this solution will not help.
    4) Take SIM + SIM hack and put it back into your Japanese phone.
    5) Your signal should be "revived".

What to do when travelling in areas with poor reception

1) Find the "Self Mode" function under Settings, and turn it ON as soon as you lose signal, or am about to.
    2) Self Mode is identical to Airplane Mode found in most phones. Connections to and from your phone are disabled.
    3) When you leave the area with poor reception, turn Self mode OFF. After a few minutes, your phone will be able to regain its signal.
    4) If your phone fails to reconnect, perform "CPR."

Through testing with my PSS-SIM and SH905i, I have found that you need approximately 30 minutes of signal before turning on Self Mode for this to work. I kept my phone on for the whole night, then turned on Self Mode for 3 hours in the office. I then went out for lunch, and turned off Self Mode for 15 minutes. Made a call and sent a text message during that period. Turned Self Mode back on for 4 hours. When I left the office, I turned off Self Mode but was unable to pick up a signal.

Different SIM hacks might yield different results.

---
    I will be expanding and updating this Guide that is geared towards new users. If you have any ideas or material that I could use here, I will add or link it and give you credit. I need material that will help new users in general, and not for specific phones though.

************* Yamanote's Guide from Post #91 ************************

NTT DoCoMo & SoftBank are the telecom companies in the land of the rising sun, Japan. SoftBank bought Vodafone JP in 2006, thus some of the older Japanese cellphones were labeled Vodafone.

List of Japanese Cellphones that are software unlocked
    • 902SH
    • 903SH
    • 703SH
    • 703SHf
    • 801SH
    • 802SH
    • 803T
    • 813T
    • 814T
    • 815T
    • 902T
    • 903T
    • 904T
    • 911T
    • 912T
    • 920T
    • 707SC/II
    • 920SC

List of Japanese Cellphones that are HyperSIM unlocked (Without Multimedia lock)
    • 904SH
    • 920SC
    • 911T
    • 912T
    • 922T
    • 705SH
    • 705P
    • 705Px
    • All NTT DoCoMo 905i, 906i, 01A, 02A, 03A, 04A Series

List of Japanese Cellphones that are HyperSIM unlocked (With Multimedia lock)
    • 920SH
    • 922SH
    • 930SH
    • 931SH
    • 812SH
    • 813SH
    • 814SH
    • 815SH
    • 824SH
    • 825SH
    • 920P
    • 921P

List of Japanese Cellphones that uses HyperSIM and face Signal OUT Issue (CPR Issue)
    • 824SH
    • 825SH
    • 922SH (After April 08)
    • 923SH
    • 930SH
    • 931SH
    • 920SC
    • All NTT DoCoMo 905i, 906i, A, B, C series

List of Japanese Cellphones that uses HyperSIM and unlocked to 1 SIM card only (Unable to change SIM card after unlocking, if not multimedia functions will be locked back)
    • 923SH
    • 930SH
    • 931SH
    • 920P
    • 921P

All Japanese Cellphones are unable to use their TV functions and Mobile-Wallet (FeliCa) here.

All Japanese Cellphones are unable to install Java etc. applications (S! Appli on SoftBank, i-appli on NTT DoCoMo).

All SoftBank Cellphones after 920SH unable to receive incoming call/SMS under 3G network. Thus the need to use GSM network. However, some have reported that 3G works, it depends on your carrier and location.

All SoftBank Cellphones released after 920SH will have the Signal OUT Issues (CPR Issues)

All NTT DoCoMo Cellphones are unable to use GPRS or related functions, unable to log in to 3G Network, face Signal OUT Issues from time to time but multimedia function is not locked.

All new models released after 903SH, GPRS is locked. Thus no access to any GPRS related functions like GPS, MMS, EMAILS & etc.

Most Japanese Cellphones DO NOT accept MP3 format for songs. Only the Sony series for DoCoMo (excluding SO905iCS) accepts MP3.

All NTT DoCoMo’s Bluetooth is limited to earpiece. Only SoftBank models are able to transfer files using Bluetooth.

All AU by KDDI cellphones cannot be used worldwide as they are CDMA only (incompatible with Verizon). The W62S (GLOBAL PASSPORT GSM) has been reported that it can be unlocked, however, there has been no confirmations. The W64S (also GLOBAL PASSPORT GSM) has been software unlocked. SMS and internet does not work.

Pros & Cons of Japanese Cellphones

Pros
    • Exotic and rare
    • Nicer design than boring local cellphones
    • Better and larger LCD display
    • Better build quality and last longer than local cellphone without having to send to service centre
    • Able to type Japanese

Cons
    • GPRS (Internet) locked (on most keitais)
    • MMS locked
    • GPS locked
    • 3G locked for newer models after 920SH
    • Signal OUT issue (CPR Issue)
    • Multimedia may get locked back for newer models like 920SH and onwards
    • Most have no MP3 support, uses WMA or AAC. Japanese usually do not use MP3 due to copyright issues.

HyperSIM and Signal OUT (CPR) Issues

HyperSIM is a thin film shaped like your SIM card with a chip. You paste it onto your SIM card and insert into your phone to enable you to use the Japanese Cellphones.

How Does HyperSIM work?

The HyperSIM acts as a bypass, allowing your SIM card to be recognized by the phone, thus enabling you to use your SIM card on the Japanese Cellphone.

What is Signal OUT Issues?

When the signal bar says 圈外, or OUT, it means your Japanese Cellphone lost the "key" to connect to the signal tower. This happens when you move around and try to connect to another Signal Tower.

How to regain signal and have a longer lasting signal?

CPR Steps
    1. Put your SIM card into a local phone. Preferred choice is Sony Ericsson or Samsung. Do not use Nokia or LG, unless you want to frequently do CPR.
    2. Set your local phone to GSM ONLY (NOT 3G/GSM).
    3. Make a phone call to ensure that the signal is not fake.
    4. Switch off your cellphone and place the SIM card with the HyperSIM back to your Japanese Cellphone.
    5. ALWAYS ensure your Japanese Cellphone is set to GSM ONLY (NOT 3G/GSM).
    6. You should have back your signal. Please note that for stable signal connection, you should see GPRS on NTT DoCoMo and GSM on SoftBank.
    7. If there is still no signal, try putting your SIM card with HyperSIM into local cellphone and repeat the steps from 1 to 4.

If you see that your Japanese Cellphone says ‘This UIM is not recognized.’ Chances are either the HyperSIM is not compatible, or the HyperSIM may be damaged.

All AU by KDDI cellphones cannot be used worldwide as they are CDMA only (incompatible with Verizon). The W62S (GLOBAL PASSPORT GSM) has been reported that it can be unlocked, however, there has been no confirmations.

Credit to Kuro on hwz for original context.
    Last edited by martindesu; 01-07-2012 at 03:58 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for posting up this thread Riel =D.

Cleared some of my questions when I get my Japanese phone.

Thanks again :].

Feedback Score
    Thanks for that. It's really useful for someone like me that's new to all this.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    ok, this question might sound stupid, but is there any sim hack that doesn't require CPR at all. At first it was just my P905i, and then today my SO905i decided to lose it signal too -_- so i have to take out my N76 that I haven't used for month out again today and do CPR for the sim hack in my SO905i too.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS 16gb White
    Carrier(s)
    O2
    Feedback Score
    Very good guide!

At first when i received my SH905i c/w simhack, i use the break-in method. Put in sim+simhack, make call in and out, sms in and out, all ok. Then change to SH905i and it works both way. YAY... But reception is terrible

Next day, bring out SH905i to work, completely signal out on train at SH905i, work phone full bar... zzz... reach station, SH905i never pick up signal, reboot SH905i and gain back signal. Moving to underground, no signal too, reach station and no pick signal again, reboot and gain back signal.

Decided to use other phone for CPRing, moving train no problem with signal. underground no signal but manage to picks back signal. Test call in and out, sms in and out no problems. Hooray...

reached home, then transfer to back SH905i. Got in, showing signal out WTF! CPR again at other phone, call in and out ok, transfer back to SH905i, keep rebooting, OMG! Then leave it till tomorrow. CPRing, call in and out ok, transfer to SH905i, manage to get in, but signal out until now...

And Im thinking to sell my SH905i now. I don't mind CPRing or reboot phone, but hate about all these unstable issues.

Maybe I should try 2-3 days like riel did. I'll write the results later.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I'm thinking of adding in a section that shows which SIM hacks work with which phone and carrier. If anyone can get on that, I'll expand the guide.

The section will be updated frequently, as soon as a new SIM hack is tested. It will take place in the first post, so new users will only have to look at there to get information. Credit will be given to testers.

Device(s)
    Docomo SH-06a
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    thats a good idea man it helps out other people a lot

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by riel
    I'm thinking of adding in a section that shows which SIM hacks work with which phone and carrier. If anyone can get on that, I'll expand the guide.

The section will be updated frequently, as soon as a new SIM hack is tested. It will take place in the first post, so new users will only have to look at there to get information. Credit will be given to testers.
    Good idea but it seems to be pretty impossible to find information for European carriers. All the stuff I have seen is mostly for Asia & North America all of no use to me over in the UK.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G [S] 16GB White (OS 3.12)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by riel

Hmm. well I guess you can do that and the start a thread for every phone lol.. But what we're relying on here are the users of this forum. No one wants to be the lab rat =/

Device(s)
    Nokia 6230b (5.50 with Chinese)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Chimp
    Good idea but it seems to be pretty impossible to find information for European carriers. All the stuff I have seen is mostly for Asia & North America all of no use to me over in the UK.
    i know voda uk worked with pss sim on sh905i

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by murdoc2k
    Hmm. well I guess you can do that and the start a thread for every phone lol.. But what we're relying on here are the users of this forum. No one wants to be the lab rat =/
    It would be a pretty big task, but I hope somebody has time on their hands can do it over the summer. The information is all there, just gotta read through it.

No one needs to buy anything to try out new SIM hacks unless they want to. Just looking through the existing threads are good enough.

Format could be like so:
    Phone: ______
    SIM's / SIM hack: SIM A / SIM hack X, SIM B / SIM hack P

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aw614
    i know voda uk worked with pss sim on sh905i
    The only thing I had seen on this issue was someone claiming on another mobile forum to be using a P905i on Voda in the UK but I am not 100% on the Hypersim, it may have been an INEX one.

Feedback Score
    Doesn't this seem like too much for phones that you are buying at full retail price? I like Keitai's too but jeez. Has anyone tried contacting DoCoMo to get info on actually fully unlocking the phones? Keitai manufacturers are dropping like flies in Japan and DoCoMo has recently expressed a desire to make it easier for Japanese companies to sell abroad. You would think they would be happy to sell to people willing to pay full retail price.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS 16gb White
    Carrier(s)
    O2
    Feedback Score
    Super_Chimp, I'm in London. SH905i + iNEX Hypersim doesn't work with vodafone, if you have old vodafone simcard that might work because I have the new one. O2 new simcard works. Not sure about other carriers tho. But based on my seller all network is working except Vodafone but that was being tested with iNEX Hypersim, not sure about other simhack i.e. PSS-SIM.

Riel, I hope this information would be sufficient:
    Keitai: SH905i
    Simhack: iNEX Hypersim
    CPR Phone: Motorola L6 Europe unlocked
    Network (Work and tested by me): O2
    Network (Claimed to work by seller): Vodafone (Old simcard might work but not the latest one as informed. Don't take risk if you don't plan to change carriers), O2, Orange, BT, Virgin, *whatelse* ?
    Network (Not work and tested by me): Vodafone

Status: Took out simhack reposition with simcard put into CPR.P First day of usage: Call in and out OK!

What I found out, try reboot only if your in no network coverage. But before rebooting make sure your at good network coverage! *At least it works for me
    Last edited by 4agze; 05-02-2008 at 07:58 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 4agze
    Super_Chimp, I'm in London. SH905i + iNEX Hypersim doesn't work with vodafone, if you have old vodafone simcard that might work because I have the new one. O2 new simcard works. Not sure about other carriers tho. But based on my seller all network is working except Vodafone but that was being tested with iNEX Hypersim, not sure about other simhack i.e. PSS-SIM.

Riel, I hope this information would be sufficient:
    Keitai: SH905i
    Simhack: iNEX Hypersim
    CPR Phone: Motorola L6 Europe unlocked
    Network (Work and tested by me): O2
    Network (Claimed to work by seller): Vodafone (Old simcard might work but not the latest one as informed. Don't take risk if you don't plan to change carriers), O2, Orange, BT, Virgin, *whatelse* ?
    Network (Not work and tested by me): Vodafone

Status: Took out simhack reposition with simcard put into CPR.P First day of usage: Call in and out OK!

What I found out, try reboot only if your in no network coverage. But before rebooting make sure your at good network coverage! *At least it works for me

Thanks for that excellent feedback.

The SIM I am aiming to use is an O2 PAYG 3G SIM that's about 18 months old if that.

If I am going to spend good money on a Keitai it's good to hear of a particular model working on the network I am aiming to use, so thanks again.

Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast