Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Viaero Wireless: Colo, Neb

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 16GB White
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    Carrier
    Viaero
    Feedback Score
    all pm's replied...

Carrier
    Viaero
    Feedback Score
    I'm so happy to find a few people who've heard of Viaero! lol

My husband has been with them since '03 and me since '06. It's been fun watching them spread.

Currently we have the W35 for both our internet service as well as home phone. Since it would have cost us about $4grand to string in a new physical phone line, I'm quite happy with what Viaero is able to provide for about $50 a month, including equipment costs. (And we're remote enough that no other cell company even comes close to their coverage)

We're only 12 miles from the Colorado line and I'm still waiting on the 3G thing.
    When I signed up for home/internet this summer, I was assured that THIS winter they'd have 3G. We'll see... For now, my internet is like a fast dial-up, but at least there are no data limits like on satellite.

ANYWAY--
    I actually tripped over this thread, though, hunting for info on using an unlocked iPhone. I know I can USE an iPhone on Viaero, but I'm wondering if I can just get an unlimited web plan ($20), or if I need a full smart-phone plan ($40) in order to get it online.

Or, should I just use the WiFi instead?

Thoughts?

(I like the Droids, but I don't want to be tied in to a 2 year contract to spend the same as I could on an unlocked iPhone off eBay. I particularly don't want to hike my bill by $40!!)

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 16GB White
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    Carrier
    Viaero
    Feedback Score
    Sorry to say but you need to have the Smart Phone plan added to the phone...

Phones
    iPhone 4 (32 GB)
    BlackBerry Storm
    LG Dare
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quick question: I'm currently on AT&T but have been interested in picking up an unlocked Motorola Milestone to use on ATT. I found someone on Craigslist selling a Milestone purchased from Viaero and I was wondering if that Milestone would be compatible with ATT 3G or would I be stuck on EDGE? Thanks!

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 16GB White
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    Carrier
    Viaero
    Feedback Score
    It should be sim card related. So if you stuck in a AT&T sim card you would pull a 3G signal. If you stuck in a Viaero sim you would pull a Edge signal. Hope this helps...

Feedback Score
    I have an iphone 4 factory unlocked from canada and love it on viaero network. I live in wiggins colorado and was wondering when will we have 3G coverage so i can use it with my iphone 4? I dont mind EDGE the speeds are fine but i am looking for more of a faster network at some point?

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinP View Post
    (I like the Droids, but I don't want to be tied in to a 2 year contract to spend the same as I could on an unlocked iPhone off eBay. I particularly don't want to hike my bill by $40!!)
    The phones Viaero offers are one of the problems I have with them. I would consider a contract, but I won't pay $199 for what is basically a first gen. Droid released last year (basically an old phone). If I were to go with Verizon, through Wirefly, I could get a Droid X for $100, the Droid 2 was $75 (haven't checked what it is today), and the Samsung Fascinate is currently $10! Either Wirefly or Letstalk I think I saw something about activation credit too. I wish they covered my area with a good signal. Even though they have less minutes on the plan, I wouldn't use all they offer anyway, so a non-issue.

My other problem is the steep price for the smartphone plans with all carriers. If it were half that, even if limited a little, I would consider it. But I see AT&Ts limited plans, and they are not really usable....

And more of my problems, I've sent a few brief questions to their sales email over the last couple years. Nice, courteous, clear, to the point, and haven't been able to get a response from them of any kind. I did a few years ago asking about the internet, but nothing since. I've gotten the answers, it's just nice to get it direct, figured that's what the email address was for, if not, why put it up?

The other problem is their coverage. I count four people in my family alone in this area that had them, and dropped them. One living right in town, another in the country within about four miles from the tower. All citing better coverage with the competitors, especially out and about away from the highways where people actually live. One said coming from town where there's a tower, going five miles out to a corner where there's another tower just two miles away from that corner, that there was a dead spot in there somewhere. I think some of the problem is the short towers they put up, but that's a guess.

That being said, they are my best hope for coverage. And I will get a trial phone of some sort set up with Snap, if I get a chance. But when I talk to people around here, plus my own personal experience with both the home based internet as well as the internet on a demo phone in the store, I kind of drag my feet about it. I know they must work for some people or they wouldn't be around.

Phones
    Milestone is just a PDA
    Milestone (Brick)
    Carrier
    Viaero
    Feedback Score

Viaero Smart phones

Don't get the Motorola Milestone with Viaero. They do not support their customers with the badly needed update to fix the bugs. I would also check with others online for any other phones Viaero sells to see how support is helping. I have had three different phones with Viaero and they both had problems that Viaero would/could not help with. I guess the idea is that if it doesn't work, you will buy another. ( I know, why did we stay with Viaero?) Viaero is the only service available in our area. Chose Wisely Grasshopper!
    Crap, I have to live another day with this phone?

Feedback Score

Talking Viaero

I cant believe any of your stories. We switched to viaero back in June from Verizon! We always had poor customer service from Verizon and had bad coverage living out in the country! SO we decided to try Viaero and have absolutely loved them. I am using an unlocked iphone 4 from canada and they even had support for the device even though its not there phone! I have always gotten quick email responses about questions regarding our plan and to replace a sim card. They even sent detailed pictures on to what info i needed to use and how to plug it in my iphone to get the EDGE internet. Which is great! But im waiting for the upgraded 3G service

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Appleuser View Post
    I cant believe any of your stories.
    Well, mine are true, so I don't care to be called a liar, thanks. Some people have good experiences with companies, some bad, I wouldn't discredit what someone else says just because I have a good experience. I have poor coverage from Verizon and USCellular. So Viaero is my only choice if I want coverage here, in my yard. Everywhere else I have coverage, I just can't make calls in my yard, I have to go outside of my trees for what I have to work. I will have to keep my Tracfone to have coverage in the dead spots if I ever travel. Their coverage may be better in other places. All I know is here, even though the towers are in/around every town, their coverage away from the highways is much poorer than the competition. And as I have the mentioned family members and a few of my neighbors can prove it. It's not me saying it it's people I KNOW PERSONALLY telling me what their experience was. It depends where you are and where you use your phone, so the service experience may vary. And you are a current customer, maybe that's why they answer your questions. In my case I had additional questions about the home internet, as well as the smartphone plans, etc. I got nothing.

edit:
    Here's a link with an independent review, Colorado coverage is better than Nebraska's. I'll agree the service is better around some of the smaller towns. But I don't live near any of them.
    http://www.mountainwireless.com/cellne.shtml
    Last edited by ranchguy; 10-03-2010 at 10:11 AM.

Phone
    HTC Incredible
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I'm going to switch companies as soon as I can. I can't use my phone inside the house, I too have to go outside to use it. To make matter worse the tower is less then 5 miles from my house. I'm also sick of all the dropped calls, even along a major highway. I will say that when I did have a problem customer service was very quick to fix it so I can not fault Viaero for that, but come on.. all the dropped calls, poor coverage areas... I'm just fed up with it.

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 16GB White
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    Carrier
    Viaero
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ranchguy View Post
    The phones Viaero offers are one of the problems I have with them. I would consider a contract, but I won't pay $199 for what is basically a first gen. Droid released last year (basically an old phone). If I were to go with Verizon, through Wirefly, I could get a Droid X for $100, the Droid 2 was $75 (haven't checked what it is today), and the Samsung Fascinate is currently $10! Either Wirefly or Letstalk I think I saw something about activation credit too. I wish they covered my area with a good signal. Even though they have less minutes on the plan, I wouldn't use all they offer anyway, so a non-issue. If you dont like our phones, you can go out and buy a unlocked GSM phone and we will hook you up on our network.

My other problem is the steep price for the smartphone plans with all carriers. If it were half that, even if limited a little, I would consider it. But I see AT&Ts limited plans, and they are not really usable.... We are soon making some changes to our plans. You pick and choose what you want..

And more of my problems, I've sent a few brief questions to their sales email over the last couple years. Nice, courteous, clear, to the point, and haven't been able to get a response from them of any kind. I did a few years ago asking about the internet, but nothing since. I've gotten the answers, it's just nice to get it direct, figured that's what the email address was for, if not, why put it up? I believe I did some you some emails back. You have to keep in mind we do see plenty of people in the stores and its hard to keep track if a email has been responded too. I know an email is easier then calling, but sometimes you may have to call to get a more direct answer.

The other problem is their coverage. I count four people in my family alone in this area that had them, and dropped them. One living right in town, another in the country within about four miles from the tower. All citing better coverage with the competitors, especially out and about away from the highways where people actually live. One said coming from town where there's a tower, going five miles out to a corner where there's another tower just two miles away from that corner, that there was a dead spot in there somewhere. I think some of the problem is the short towers they put up, but that's a guess. I know we have had tower issues in the past. We are currently working on getting everything solved and adding new towers monthly.

That being said, they are my best hope for coverage. And I will get a trial phone of some sort set up with Snap, if I get a chance. But when I talk to people around here, plus my own personal experience with both the home based internet as well as the internet on a demo phone in the store, I kind of drag my feet about it. I know they must work for some people or they wouldn't be around.
    Answers are in the bold..

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 16GB White
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    Carrier
    Viaero
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Ann View Post
    Don't get the Motorola Milestone with Viaero. They do not support their customers with the badly needed update to fix the bugs. I would also check with others online for any other phones Viaero sells to see how support is helping. I have had three different phones with Viaero and they both had problems that Viaero would/could not help with. I guess the idea is that if it doesn't work, you will buy another. ( I know, why did we stay with Viaero?) Viaero is the only service available in our area. Chose Wisely Grasshopper!
    We have had some issues with the Milestone from the beginning. Some were user error and some were phone error. There is a new software upgrade out for the phone now. As well as another upgrade coming hopefully within the next month or so. Usually upgrades fix the issues that they had on the previous version. Sorry about your issues. I would see about getting another phone online, if you are having so many issues with the Milestone. It would be a lot cheaper that way..

Reply in Bold

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 16GB White
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    Carrier
    Viaero
    Feedback Score
    Hal: Sorry to see you go!! I know you had some issues on your phone, but got them handled quickly I thought. If you are still having dropped calls, I would go to the store and see if they can give you a loaner phone and see if its more of a phone issue or tower issue. If its a phone issue, I know that you are still under warranty so fixing your phone would not be a issue. Let me know if there is anything that I can do..

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Frasch, yes you did answer my messages. I have no problem with you, you are being helpful. I'm talking about contacting Viaero directly from info on Viaero's website over the past couple years or so. Those are what I'm talking about/where I got no responses at all. Not like I tried 50 times, but the few that I did, no response. One of them was that question about the smartphone plan being needed on every phone or if it covered all of them. Thought it was simple enough. I did get answers several years ago about the home internet.

The phone deal, I'm just saying to be competitive, like me looking at what you offer. Trying out the service I'd try no contract first and a cheapo phone (I mentioned one in a PM, couldn't get ATT to unlock it for me, and I'm done fighting with them for now). IF (stressing if) I were to sign up with a company for a two year contract as some people do, assuming they would both provide usable service where I wanted, and I wanted a fancy phone, the only reasonable way to get one is with the contract discounted price. I see no reason or sense in spending $400+ (depending, of course on the model of phone), and pay the same service fee anyway, might as well get a discounted phone. Since Viaero is my only possible hope for coverage, this point doesn't matter, but it still bothers me a bit when I see what I could get if I could go with someone else that is in the area. Like I said, $199 for a basically old model Droid I, or $0.01 (one cent) for a Samsung Fascinate on Verizon through Amazon.com wireless (as of yesterday). Or a Droid II for $40 through an online reseller. Or the $99 the Droid X was (even the $150 it was last I looked). Just looking at the phones, doesn't seem like much of a choice. Getting them for that price, or paying full ebay etc. price and still paying the same monthly service fee, which makes more sense? Just saying there is a fairly large difference in phones being offered, and none of the cheaper ones I see can compare in quality to what I mentioned. And yes I know a person could sell the milestone and use the proceeds to buy something else, but a bit of a hassle. Perhaps I'm not thinking right, but that's the way I'm looking at it.

Plans, yes, you beat the competition. But then we go back to reliability.... Which, if I was planning to drop the landline, is a concern. I am not much further from the tower than one of my cousins, in the opposite direction, they had no trees, clear line of site to the tower. I have trees. They had quality/call/problems that we talked about in their home (four phones). They just switched a couple months ago to US Cell. So fairly recent. I'm basically being called dumb for considering Viaero by a couple people.... Putting up towers is great, but the areas that are having coverage problems (as in getting a usable signal) will not be receiving towers. I'm talking about like the back roads, going between major highways, or to people's homes that are not near the towns. The competition's signal just seems to go out further. That's what everyone is telling me. I know I have no complaints with the Tracfone wherever I go, besides my stupid home.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast