Thread: Phone off, call straight to voicemail, or couple of rings first?

Feedback Score

Phone off, call straight to voicemail, or couple of rings first?

If a phone is off on the ATT network, will the call go directly to voicemail or will it ring maybe once or twice before going to voicemail?

Phones
    Google Nexus 5
    Google Nexus 5
    Google Nexus 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    with GSM phones it would go to voicemail straight away as the phone instructs the network to do so but with the 3G W-CDMA phones sometimes it takes a while before the network notice it's not on the network and then turns on automatic voicemail forwarding.

Verizon/Sprint (CDMA) networks just send a "connected" message even before the phone rings. With GSM ones you don't hear "ring ring" until the phone is really ringing.
    - yeah, don't listen to that guy!

Phones
    att note 3, vzw charge
    ATT Note 3
    VZW Charge
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHoTTa35
    with GSM phones it would go to voicemail straight away as the phone instructs the network to do so but with the 3G W-CDMA phones sometimes it takes a while before the network notice it's not on the network and then turns on automatic voicemail forwarding.

Verizon/Sprint (CDMA) networks just send a "connected" message even before the phone rings. With GSM ones you don't hear "ring ring" until the phone is really ringing.

By the way you write, you are obviously well informed, and I am not disputing your answer, which is prob'ly the way it's suppose to happen, but in the real world, it ain't always that way.

1) Quite often, I will call another att phone, of someone right beside me. Often as not, there will be a ring sound in the calling handset, and the other handset may eventually ring, or not, then may go to voice mail. I realize the o/p indicated handset turned off.

2) Just guessing here, but, if the switch receives the "turned off" signal from the handset, then yes, goes directly to vm, but apparently in some low signal areas, or say the battery just runs out of juice, ie, cannot send the "i'm off" signal, and the call may not go to vm, but will ring and ring.

I've had these two things occur too many times to be just an odd occurance.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane
    2) Just guessing here, but, if the switch receives the "turned off" signal from the handset, then yes, goes directly to vm, but apparently in some low signal areas, or say the battery just runs out of juice, ie, cannot send the "i'm off" signal, and the call may not go to vm, but will ring and ring.
    That is precisely it. When a call doesn't go straight to VM with the Unavailable forwarding, it's because the phone didn't have the chance to send the tower an "I'm being turned off" message. This happens when the phone runs out of battery while in use, if the phone crashed or if you drive into a dead zone. (If walking there seems to be enough time for the phone to notify the tower "I'm losing you.")

Phones
    Blackberry Storm/Motorola k1m
    Motorola i850
    Motorola v3xx
    Carriers
    Verizon;
    AT&..... I'm sorry, you faded out. Could you repeat that?
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHoTTa35
    With GSM ones you don't hear "ring ring" until the phone is really ringing.
    Quote Originally Posted by plane
    1) Quite often, I will call another att phone, of someone right beside me. Often as not, there will be a ring sound in the calling handset, and the other handset may eventually ring, or not, then may go to voice mail. I realize the o/p indicated handset turned off.
    It seems that AT&T created a "fake" ring within the past few years. You can tell because it's usually louder and more distorted than the normal ring (at least in my area it is). I can always tell who is using AT&T because of that fake ring. I assume this has something to do with 3G implementation.

Phones
    OOOOllllldd Nokia
    Audiovox 8900
    Samsung A-137
    Carriers
    at&t
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    "Quite often, I will call another att phone, of someone right beside me."

Am I the only one here who finds this statement just a bit disquieting? Last time I was in a mall (about two years ago) I saw two people walking along holding hands talking on their phones and I had the thought that they may be talking to each other. Creeped me right out.

Carrier
    U.S.: Verizon, T-Mobile USA; CH: Sunrise; D: Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macizcool
    It seems that AT&T created a "fake" ring within the past few years. You can tell because it's usually louder and more distorted than the normal ring (at least in my area it is). I can always tell who is using AT&T because of that fake ring. I assume this has something to do with 3G implementation.
    That is precisely what I have noticed in my area. In my area, though, I have noticed the fake distorted ring for years, well before 3g came to this area.

Carrier
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    When I'm on 3G I notice the fake ring. When I'm on Edge phone rings right away and I can answer the call on the first ring.

Phones
    BB Torch
    Blackberry Torch
    Nokia 6102
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If the phone is powered off and the network is aware,as the phone will send a signal as part of the power off process,then usually no ring and straight to VM we go. If the phone left service or crashed, then the network will attempt to page the phone, and on some rare cases,there may be 1 or 2 rings.

As for fake ringing, all rings called hear are fake, so to speak. Ringing audio may sound a little different from place to place. As different companies that make the switching equipment may do it differently.