Thread: BlueSTAR GM OnStar Replacement

Phones
    Samsung Omnia
    LG VX8600
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

BlueSTAR GM OnStar Replacement

Anybody using the Bluestar kit for GM vehicles? It's a front end replacement for a Moto HF850 that uses the Onstar mirror controls instead of the lil Moto control pad.

CoSTAR Technologies

It's pretty new. Good reviews on the Cadillac forums. I'm considering one and am curious if anyone here has seen or used one.

Ted
    I wasn't born in Texas but I got
    back here as soon as I could.

Melancholia by Verizon Omnia SCH-i910 by Samsung
    BJ28>CC20>Adryn CF03 V2.0 8GB/16GB µSDHC
    WM 6.5 Pro CE OS 5.2.23008 (23008.5.3.0)

Phones
    Epix
    Tilt
    treo 650/600, Kyocera 7135/6030
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've been looking at this and the another "hecho en Mexico" from Vtech or something. I'll look it up and post here. The other is cheaper but it is from Mexico and I don't feel like spending $100 to see if they are legit.

Did you ever get this to work?

Phones
    Epix
    Tilt
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Here is one:
    http://www.coastaletech.com/onstar.htm
    and the other (sorry it was Ventura Technology):
    http://venturatechnology.com.mx/prod...ntegration_oem

Phones
    Blackberry 9780
    Feedback Score
    I have 2 of the Bluestars on order now but I won't have a chance to install them for a couple of weeks. I found this device on the GM Trucks forum and followed the thread for a few days. I emailed one of the members that put it in his truck and asked if I could call him to hear the sound quality. We talked for 15 minutes and I was so impressed I ordered two that day.
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space!

Phones
    Samsung Omnia
    LG VX8600
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Walbern
    I have 2 of the Bluestars on order now but I won't have a chance to install them for a couple of weeks. I found this device on the GM Trucks forum and followed the thread for a few days. I emailed one of the members that put it in his truck and asked if I could call him to hear the sound quality. We talked for 15 minutes and I was so impressed I ordered two that day.
    I'm still scraping funds together to order mine. I've seen numerous reports on the Cadillac forums and just missed out on beta testing one of the units. I followed the development as the builder finalized the design.

I'm sure you will enjoy many years of enjoyment from the two units.

Ted

Phones
    Samsung Omnia
    LG VX8600
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jadiff
    Here is one:
    http://www.coastaletech.com/onstar.htm
    and the other (sorry it was Ventura Technology):
    http://venturatechnology.com.mx/prod...ntegration_oem
    Both links lead to the same site. Unfortunately this solution only works on 2004 and up vehicles using GM LAN communications. It won't work on my 2001 Eldo.

Appreciate the info. Maybe the links will help someone else.

Ted

Phones
    Blackberry 9780
    Feedback Score
    The link for Bluestar should be

http://www.costartech.com/

They do have a product for your 2001 Eldorado.

Phones
    Samsung Omnia
    LG VX8600
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Walbern
    The link for Bluestar should be

http://www.costartech.com/

They do have a product for your 2001 Eldorado.
    Yes they do. That's why I started this thread. My link in the first post gets you to http://www.costartech.com/index.html. I just put a label on it.

If you want to take a look at the development look at RustyBlazerDude's development thread over at Cadillac Forums. An excellent read.

Ted

Phones
    Epix
    Tilt
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, I ordered the one from Coastaletech and now I know the difference. The one from Coastaletech still needs to have an external microphone hooked up to it. The one from Costartech uses the vehicles integrated microphone. I wanted to use the Onstar microphone. However, the one from Coastaletech does not interfere with the OnStar system whereas the one from Costartech does.

I am not interested in using OnStar. so now I need to figure out if I send it back and pay the restocking fee or just install the microphone somewhere. I wonder if the OnStar microphone is that much better? Anyone know?

BTW, I am using the Motorola HF850.

Phones
    Samsung Omnia
    LG VX8600
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Besides the microphone being better quality, the CoStar fully integrates with the vehicle. During a call the call audio will route through the vehicle speakers (with the normal audio source squelched). The microphone in the rearview mirror is in an excellent position to "catch" your voice, but not others in the vehicle. (For privacy, just switch to the cellphone itself.)

The Moto 850 is just used as a Bluetooth interface; it's microphone and speaker is not used.

Quite a bit of research went into the OnStar system. It has top notch audio.

Ted

Feedback Score
    Has anyone heard anything about the one called Galaxy 1000? It looks like it will do the job http://www.galaxy1000.com. Has anybody tried this one?

Phones
    T-Mobile G1
    Samsung ACE
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xPosTech
    Anybody using the Bluestar kit for GM vehicles? It's a front end replacement for a Moto HF850 that uses the Onstar mirror controls instead of the lil Moto control pad.
    I talked to the creator and he seems to know what he's doing. He's working on making the steering wheel OnStar button work in the Chevy TrailBlazer. Once he does that, I'll probably order.

Phones
    Samsung Omnia
    LG VX8600
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by njb42
    I talked to the creator and he seems to know what he's doing. He's working on making the steering wheel OnStar button work in the Chevy TrailBlazer. Once he does that, I'll probably order.
    It shouldn't take him long. You're right, he knows of what he does. And it won't just work on the TrailBlazer - it will work on all that use the LAN protocol.

I received my Class 2 unit from him yesterday. I'll post a review and some pics of the installation in my 2001 Eldorado once complete.

Ted

Phones
    BB 8830
    E815
    V60 c,s,i
    Carrier
    Alltel I mean Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I bought one and installed it about a month ago into my 2007 GMC Sierra. It works great. Plays through the factory speakers, mutes them during a call and lowers the fan speed on the climate control too. Straight forward install of about 45 minutes (for first time install). Probably less than 30 next time. Next project is to tap into onstar antenna for better reception.

Phones
    Samsung Omnia
    LG VX8600
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Mine is installed and working. I did have to wait until Chris could put together a LeverLock (standard GM interface cable for Lan connection) cable harness for my Eldo.

Unfortunately my camera battery was totally dead. I don't think pix would help anyone, though. The Onstar unit is installed in different locations for different vehicles. Mine was located behind the rear seat, accessible via a carpeted panel in the trunk.

Your Vehicle Maintenance Manual will be of more help in locating your Onstar and GPS units. Pix of the BlueSTAR are at the CoSTAR site.

Installation was quick and easy. Unscrew and tie-wrap back (or remove) the cellular and GPS antenna cables, then remove the OnSTAR unit and GPS receiver. Disconnect the cable harness and connect the Bluestar unit and tie-wrap it down. Pair the unit with the phone and check operation, then replace the panel.

My steering wheel volume control works just fine. Speaking of volume, Windows Mobile devices are notorious for low Voice Command confirmation volume. With three different volume settings, I could balance it perfectly with the radio.

The phone has a BT output volume control. The Moto HF850 also has a volume control accessible via the Onstar button press sequence. 3 or 4 minutes of adjustment while talking/listening to the WM Voice confirmation had it just about perfect. Then the steering wheel volume control adjusted the BT and radio seamlessly.

I did notice that (unrelated to CoStar) I may have to futz with some VC registry or DLL hacks to differentiate "Home" from "No". For instance the VC Voice (in number confirm) asks "Call So and So - Home or Mobile?". When replying 'Home" she sometimes gets it wrong.

I'm really happy with this unit. I haven't installed audio routing S/W yet, but will very shortly. Then I'll let you know how the GPS turn-by-turn works out. BTW the GPS unit I removed was not a navigation module - it was there to let OnSTAR know where you were when an accident triggered an emergency call.

BlueSTAR GM OnSTAR Replacement.

Ted

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast