Current: Sony Ericsson C905a
    Next: SE Xperia X10 Mini Pro/Nokia N8?
    Retired: SE w760a, w810i, z520a
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

Blocking a "withheld" number?

Hey guys,

Some meathead keeps calling my phone from a withheld number. Last night it was around 1-2AM and today it was all throughout the day. I called AT&T and asked if they could block the withheld number, but the rep claimed he couldn't do it. Can anybody shed some light onto how I can block this number?

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Phone: Samsung Infuse
    ROM: CyanogenMod 10.1
    Firmware: 4.2.1
    Baseband: UCLB3
    Kernel: 2.6.35.7 - I997UCLB3-CL977492 g261316a scott@ubuntu #3
    Media Card: G-Skill 32GB Class 10 MicroSDHC
    Rooted and Unlocked

Phones
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Would be helpful, but I do not have a Windows Mobile Phone.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You can reject an incoming call by pressing the END button while the phone is ringing. You also can choose not to answer a call.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    iPhone 4S, Samsung Captivate, MiFi 2200
    Carriers
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think they more are looking for a phone not ringing at 1 AM option.
    Rock, Chalk!

Phones
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Squid7085
    I think they more are looking for a phone not ringing at 1 AM option.
    Precisely. And I'm not really looking for the "turn your phone off at night" solution either. I'm really looking for a permanent block of withheld numbers, or at least this one.

Phones
    HTC Fuze
    MPX220
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Phear
    Precisely. And I'm not really looking for the "turn your phone off at night" solution either. I'm really looking for a permanent block of withheld numbers, or at least this one.
    Not much you can do about it. You cant get the withheld number from att, and they cant block it for you. If you cant do it with the equipment you have then you're sol.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Phear
    All of the number blocking regimens depend upon the number being known. These features, if available, are resident in the phone and are not controlled by the wireless carrier. You can set your phone to beep once for an incoming call. Some phones allow you to set a start and end time for that feature.
    Last edited by efparri; 01-24-2009 at 11:38 PM.

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Motorola V3xx (retired)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    What you're looking for is called Anonymous Call Rejection, and I don't know of any cell phone company that offers it. My phone, the Samsung Eternity, offers an Auto Reject feature, and it allows me to specify that calls with unknown Caller ID get rejected. However, I haven't heard of this feature on any other phone besides a smartphone.

I'm afraid your only other option is to report it to the police as harassment, and they can get the number from AT&T. That would be my course of action if the calls don't stop.
    The 411 on Free 411
    Hanging Up on Telemarketers
    Need to waste some valuable time? Read my blog![/COLOR] Marion's Time Waster

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCingularUser
    What you're looking for is called Anonymous Call Rejection, and I don't know of any cell phone company that offers it. My phone, the Samsung Eternity, offers an Auto Reject feature, and it allows me to specify that calls with unknown Caller ID get rejected. However, I haven't heard of this feature on any other phone besides a smartphone.

I'm afraid your only other option is to report it to the police as harassment, and they can get the number from AT&T. That would be my course of action if the calls don't stop.
    I don't believe they can get the number from AT&T simply because they wouldn't have it. When I worked as a CSR and would review people's call details for various reasons..any time a person called them from a blocked number the call detail would show the person's own number. I did have a customer call in once who had reviewed their own call detail and told me that it was impossible, they had received numerous calls from their own number. I had to do research into the cause and apparently AT&T's system will automatically plug a customer's own number in whenever it doesn't recognize the number. i.e. blocked number, some international numbers, and just whatever number for whatever reason is not picked up in the system. There really isn't much you can do to track a blocked number unless you have a good idea of who it is that would harass you and you give enough evidence to the police for them to seize the person's call detail list, where it would indeed show their calls to you.
    Former Customer Service Rep

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Motorola V3xx (retired)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Not true. All calls, even those with blocked Caller ID info, are traceable. CSR's won't necessarily have access to this info, but it is available. My understanding is that blocking Caller ID does not remove the information; it simply adds a flag that says this info should not be passed along to the called party. However, that information is still retained and can be accessed if need be.

Phones
    iPhone (primary)
    BlackJack (if I must)
    RAZR (only if first two are broken)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCingularUser
    Not true. All calls, even those with blocked Caller ID info, are traceable. CSR's won't necessarily have access to this info, but it is available. My understanding is that blocking Caller ID does not remove the information; it simply adds a flag that says this info should not be passed along to the called party. However, that information is still retained and can be accessed if need be.
    This may or may not be true.

All I know for certain ... is if you have a toll-free number (800, 888, 866 area code) you will know every number that called into you. They can not block their caller ID info, because as the owner of the toll-free number, you are picking up the tab for the call ... therefore, it is your right to know where the call came from.

In any situation other than this ... I'm not entirely sure the Caller ID info comes across. And even if it does, it may not be stored in any system which a general CSR would have access to -- so it's effectively not there as far as the general public is concerned.
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross."

-Sinclair Lewis

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Motorola V3xx (retired)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Right, not the general public, but, if a subpoena is received, that info can likely be found, and, in the case of landline carriers, if you use *57 to trace and report a harassing call, that service will work regardless of whether Caller ID is blocked. The calling information isn't turned over to the customer, but the police get it if charges are filed.

Phones
    HTC Fuze
    MPX220
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toomer
    This may or may not be true.
    No, it's true. The run of the mill att employee has no access, but the national compliance center reps have access to it. Your local law enforcement should already have the contact info for the compliance center and should know what they need to do to get the info. If they don't, have them call cs and ask for the number for the national compliance center.

That's assuming you can get them interested in this issue. I wouldn't put any money on that.

Feedback Score
    save cals for 7 days... then go to att and show them that cals... it is only solution!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast