Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ovi?

Device(s)
    N95-4
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Ovi?

I've spent some time perusing the Ovi site. I've done a search and read lots of messages here (no mean feat, since a search on "ovi" will turn up any post with those letters, such as "I like Bon Jovi songs".) And I still don't get what it actually is.

They mention the "Music Store", but not for the U.S.

I already have Nokia Maps (including voice nav), and use Google Maps too (better at finding businesses, most of which aren't in Nokia's database.) What advantage does Ovi-Maps add? Does it still have voice?

So is it basically a way of taking all your private data - contacts, appointments, files on your PC and such - and putting them on a website rather than keeping them nice-and-safe? What value does Ovi add?

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Touch Pro 2,Nokia N82,T-Mobile G1,Nokia E71,Nokia N95-4,HTC HD2,Nexus One,Nokia E73
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    im not a fanatic of ovi or storing things online. mostly have a portable harddrive to store things. but i think ovi its a syncing service kinda how android syncs with gmail and google, and how windows mobile syncs with outlook. just to make things easier and i heard really good things about ovi.

Device(s)
    Nokia E71-2 (grey)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ovi is nothing but a marketing term for Nokia's disjoint conglomeration of online services, most of which are acquired.

It includes a SyncML server for contact/calendar info, the new online features of Nokia Maps 3.0 (from the acquired gate5 GmbH), a Flickr clone, N-GAGE, the Nokia Music Store, a non-free file hosting service (from the acquired Avvenu, Inc.), an XMPP-based IM server, and anything else they slap the Ovi brand on. Most of these services are hardly integrated with any of the others - really, Ovi is more a name than anything else.

Feedback Score
    ^^ What he said. It's a very disconnected system that ties numerous services in to one. Or tries to. The reason I started using it, was because it was a free service that supported SyncML AND picture hosting. Mobical was my preferred contact backup method prior to this. Problem is, there's too many ways to do the same thing.

On paper, Ovi is a good idea. A centralized spot for email, contacts, calendar, pictures, games and music. It was executed rather poorly however.
    Winner of 3rd Annual HoFies Award.
    Gold Medal for 'Most helpful S60 Hofo'er'
    Bronze Medal for 'Funniest S60 Hofo'er'

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I use Ovi for backing up my phone data. It's cool. Easy to use and synch is a snap.

Here's my dumb a** question tho.
    Is it pronounced OH-vee or OH-vie or am I even close??? My Finnish language skills have never been very good!!
    It is easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Out2L8
    Here's my dumb a** question tho.
    Is it pronounced OH-vee or OH-vie or am I even close??? My Finnish language skills have never been very good!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtX1UcLIB4Y

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oddsocks
    That's what I was figuring it was! Thanks for the link.

The little kid at the end is fantastic! Thanks man!

Device(s)
    •—Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    ◄ Fido ►
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (The Eliteness: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.3; U; Series60/3.2 NokiaN85-3/11.047; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

the whole service is pretty much soft launched in beta form right now, whether they want to admit it or not.

I have a lot of confidence in it because the prospects are huge. Nokia needs to keep the funding going so that the momentum continues no matter what the economic times are.

I say this because Google, Apple and other content providers are ahead and grabbing the most users is paramount right now..
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are strictly my own.

Feedback Score
    I use the sync service as a second backup (I also sync with my home computer). Came in handy last week when I had to do a hard reset on my handset - just took a minute or so to restore all of my contacts, notes, and calendar OTA, and I didn't have to wait until I got home.

I also use the remote files feature to grab files from the office when I'm away from the office.

And I use Ovi Share to post the odd picture.

I've not used the "synchronise maps" feature yet, but it sounds cool enough.

Added value? I don't know. I find some of the services handy (e.g., sync) & Ovi doesn't cost me anything. I could live without it though. I was using Mobical and Flickr before.

Save for email, it does more or less what MobileMe does, but, for the most part, is free.

Feedback Score
    I kind of like what Ricky Cadden and Jonaton Greene have proposed too:

http://www.symbian-guru.com/welcome/...the-phone.html

http://www.atmasphere.net/wp/archive...g-at-you-nokia

Device(s)
    •—Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    ◄ Fido ►
    Feedback Score
    Part of the problem is that it seems like Nokia is being cheap and working in silos.

Either the different teams are not communicating or they are, but don't want to invest in integration; especially since most of its beta and may not be around in a year.

The other part of the problem is that S60 is such dated architecture.

Nokia is milking it beyond its seams. I say this time after time, the look and feel of the S60 powered N85/N95 I'm using now is barely any different than that of the 7610b I got like 4-5 years ago.

S60 has barely evolved. It was ahead of its time then but is severly lagging now.

The N97 will be good, but unless its' doing something revolutionary that the 5800 is not, it's going to feel be very dated by the end of the year.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    They should have bought Yahoo and used their brand instead of all this Ovi foolishness.
    But its far too late for that now.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile(Nov. '07 - Present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tran
    They should have bought Yahoo and used their brand instead of all this Ovi foolishness.
    But its far too late for that now.

That would have been a smart move. At the very least it would have allowed for free advertising to the millions of people who use Yahoo daily. Oh, well...
    Quote Originally Posted by jaekidd1012
    The Nokia E71: It turns you into an ***hole
    100th POST @ 3/27/08
    500th POST @ 2/08/09
    1000th POST @ 5/06/09

I haven't thought up a good new siggy yet so I'm gonna use this!

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S 16GB White
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Part of the problem is that it seems like Nokia is being cheap and working in silos.

Either the different teams are not communicating or they are, but don't want to invest in integration; especially since most of its beta and may not be around in a year.

The other part of the problem is that S60 is such dated architecture.

Nokia is milking it beyond its seams. I say this time after time, the look and feel of the S60 powered N85/N95 I'm using now is barely any different than that of the 7610b I got like 4-5 years ago.

S60 has barely evolved. It was ahead of its time then but is severly lagging now

The N97 will be good, but unless its' doing something revolutionary that the 5800 is not, it's going to feel be very dated by the end of the year.
    This is a briliiant statement and something that is hardly ever discussed. Heck, ill even take it a step further than the 7610...is the N95 really that much different than a 3650 other than being a faster, prettier, and slightly more convenient? I dont think so. S60 has not evloved for SQUAT. When i quit working for A T and T in 04 I went to work for Verizon...stayed for about 3 years. When i finally quit i picked up a N95, and oddly enough S60 was almost identical....and 3 years had passed.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have been using ovi since june (i think) and been happy with it. Now at this time, I have grew disappointed in the way Nokia does things. All of it has been said before so I wont bother repeating it. Last week I decided to look at google calender, and was impressed. I am now going to be trying out their services. Since one day I may not have N95 or any other one again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast