Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: And let the layoffs begin!

Feedback Score

And let the layoffs begin!

The cuts have begun in my region. I have a friend, who was held in very high esteem throughout the region, that was cut just short of his 3 year mark, which is when he would have vested. I wonder, after all is said and done, how many employees the the VZdub is going to let go. My district alone is around 50 people over headcount.

Lets share stories of tragedy in these times of woe.

No, I will not mention which district I am in.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    wtf are you talking about? According to ccr1d3r, VZW is the greatest, most generous wireless company in the business??!?! They have the most generous compensation in the industry!!!! They never lay anyone off!!!! VZW is the bestest!!!!
    Low price, Excellent Service, High Quality. Pick any two, but you never get all three.

Phones
    Droid BIONIC
    VZW iPhone 4 (Sold)
    OG Droid (Sold)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It was bound to happen. Some of the things I don't quite grasp in regards to where they put their stores/kiosks. In my old town, a retail store was no more then across street from mall/kiosk. Now in (West) Des Moines, there is a Verizon store in mall, and literally no more then maybe 250ft or so away is a VZW authorized reseller (and DirecTV). Baffles me how they can be in business right down the small walk.

Phones
    LG-Dare vx9700
    BB Curve (retired)
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Whoregan
    wtf are you talking about? According to ccr1d3r, VZW is the greatest, most generous wireless company in the business??!?! They have the most generous compensation in the industry!!!! They never lay anyone off!!!! VZW is the bestest!!!!
    ROFL

But yes same in my region... very sad day for some good people

Phones
    Nokia 6650
    Motorola E815 Verizon goodbye
    Audiovox 9900 (retired)
    Carrier
    Att
    Feedback Score
    My brother was told that he was going to be let go after 4 years with VZW. He was offered a severance package. He was a Customer Service rep.

Feedback Score
    Odd, Up here in the Northeast building of new corporate stores & kiosks goes on unabated. Job faires at VZW are at least bi-monthly if not more often.

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldXD
    My district alone is around 50 people over headcount.
    It is never good, in any company, to be in a group that is over headcount when tough economic times like this happen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IggyIndirect
    Odd, Up here in the Northeast building of new corporate stores & kiosks goes on unabated. Job faires at VZW are at least bi-monthly if not more often.
    It varies. I'm in a busy done the north east and people by me are getting hit

Location? I don't need no stinking location!
    Phones
    Blackberry Curve (8530)
    Jawbone 2
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Storm: BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.75 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I guess the thing is, with a company as big as Vzw, there are bound to be areas of the country that are cutting back, and other areas that are expanding. In my area, I have yet to hear of any cuts.
    Verizon iPhone pics!!! http://bit.ly/7JJSz8

Phones
    Blackberry Curve (8530)
    Jawbone 2
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Storm: BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.75 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Quote Originally Posted by IggyIndirect
    I know of at least three stores still on track to open in our area this year. We're in the MW area.

Phone
    iphone 3gs
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    it is all to do with the circuit city and Alltel mess, with circuit city there are over 2000 employees with no place to go, so they would have to cut people in order to make room for circuit employees. And with Alltel employees they are taking their top reps and cutting VZW reps in order to make room for them. But they are letting go more Alltel employees than VZW employees. But there will be more layoffs like, closing maybe a VZW call center and relocating in an Alltel area which cost are cheaper.

Phones
    Blackberry Curve (8530)
    Jawbone 2
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score

http://www.fiercetelecom.com/story/rumor-mill-verizon-layoffs-end-q1/2009-01-29

Phone
    LG Voyager
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Whoregan
    You know JP, if you are going to drag me into the mud in an unrelated forum thread and then use a Limbaugh quote in your signature you should at least make sure you quote me accurately. If you insist on misquoting me you need to use a quote in your signature from Chris Mathews, Joe Biden, Al Franken, the NY Times or the Washington Post.

Here is what I really said:

That said, Verizon Wireless is one of the greatest, most ethical and most successful companies ever. Verizon Wireless employees are highly trained and held to exceptionally high standards. Most of us are highly motivated, completely commited to putting our customers first and appreciate the fact that we have the best compensation plan in the industry.
    I stand behind the statement I really made. Calling VzW one of the greatest and most ethical companies ever is opinion. Most of the rest is fact. It is one of the most successful ever. The employees are the best trained in the industry, they are held to very high standards and the compensation plan is the best in the industry.

Never have I said there will be no layoffs (they are pretty much inevitable for nearly every company right now and every time it happens it is a tragedy). Don't think I don't stress about being caught up in that fate myself because I do -- I just left a Circuit City SWAS location. I've never said everything at VzW is perfect (it isn't). Just that I am proud to be part of a great company.

Now, if that makes me a red koolade drinking, brain washed niave fanboy, then so be it (if I've left out anything else you guys have been calling me, my apologies). But the statements I've made and the conclusions I've drawn are based on experience and facts.

Besides JP, I'm really confident that I'm going to be more successful at work today with my attitude than you or anyone else is going to be showing up convinced that VzW sucks worse than a fat White House intern.

Phones
    HTC EVO LTE
    EVO LTE
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Well as a former VZW (and now current TMO) employee, I don't wish a layoff to anyone, regardless of company. These are tough times for us all and wish anyone effected nothing but the best.

Phones
    LG Dare (current)
    VZW Boulder (current)
    Samsung Gleam (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I was laid off from VZW yesterday. What I struggled with is how I was a tenured rep that was let go and most of the people left in my area are new. They didn't even offer a relocation option. They said that in 30 days, I would be eligible for hire as a NEW EMPLOYEE! This was unbelievable to hear. It seems a bit ironic. They just spent millions of dollars within 3 miles on building new stores and, replacing a mall kiosk, and hiring numerous positions. The hiring started in December. WTF! In December, it was clear that Circuits would be shutting down. Verizon may be a lot of things, but it is not stupid. They knew exactly what was going to happen and they deliberately chose to replace senior employees with new hires. They fronted like it was economy, but they took advantage of an opportunity to cut costs and played it off well due to CC closures. They actually had the audacity to ask several employees that were laid off to finish the work week! At the end of the day, Verizon treats their employees pretty poorly. They can get away with this because the compensation is fairly good. They are sharks. I was proud as an employee for working for them because I feel they offer a superior product, but I would never recommend a friend or family member to work there.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast