iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    Motorola W385
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Buyer wants to know Serial Number

Hey guys,

I'm selling a refurbished 16GB iPhone 3G on craigslist and the guy is asking for the serial number before he goes and buy it. I asked him why and he says he just wants to check the warranty status of the phone. Should I just go ahead and give it to him? Can he do any sketchy things with the phone's S/N? Thanks for your advice.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    I don't see a problem with it. It's a legitimate request to verify warranty status.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Phones
    32GB iPhone 3G S - Current
    16GB iPhone
    LG Venus (Pink) - 2007
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    can't do anything but check warranty status, as far as i know. if i was buying one, i would definitely ask for it for the same reason.

Phones
    BB Tour 9630
    Nokia 6030-one of my many trusty beater backups
    Retired..3GS, E71, 5800 XM, BB Bold, iPhone 3G, BB Curve, N82, N95-4, N81 8GB, E65, N75, iPhone 2G
    Carrier
    AT&T personal & Sprint business
    Feedback Score
    You have no worries..just wants to check warranty timing most likely as a buyer.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    Motorola W385
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Cool. Thanks for the quick replies everyone. The thing is I typed in the serial number on the warranty website and since it's not activated, it really doesn't give much info. I hope that doesn't affect his decision because I just don't want to activate the phone.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Tell him you'll provide the original receipt, that'll vouch for the warranty eligibility.

Phone
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    buyer on craigslist is very smart for asking for serial number. Did you advertised it as used or refurb?

When I sold my sisters refurb iphone 3g I listed it a refurb and also posted when the warranty would expire.

There are a lot os shady resellers on craigslist. Buyers have to protect themselves especially with electronic resells and warranty issues.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    Motorola W385
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aneftp
    buyer on craigslist is very smart for asking for serial number. Did you advertised it as used or refurb?

When I sold my sisters refurb iphone 3g I listed it a refurb and also posted when the warranty would expire.

There are a lot os shady resellers on craigslist. Buyers have to protect themselves especially with electronic resells and warranty issues.
    Yep, I definitely advertised as a refurb.

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    Nokia N8
    BB 8750
    Carrier
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    yeah it must be for the warranty status only
    MY HOFO FEEDBACK

all help given is free, and as is. I'd hate for someone to try and sue me for a mobile bill

Feedback Score
    I sold one a while back and the guy asked me for the receipt. He didnt seem like a shady guy so I gave it to him. Do you think that this can ever come back to me in any bad way? Was this a bad move? He does have my cell # and name now because that was on the receipt. Att cant be mad that I sold this.....thoughts?

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    You own it, you're free to do with it as you please, including selling it.

Phones
    Blackberry 9000
    Iphone 3G 8GB
    Blackberry 8310
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If anything he probably wants to check to see if it's stolen and not have warranty

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    Motorola W385
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm really frustrated right now. It's been a week and no one has bought the 16GB iPhone 3G. The guy who asked me for the serial number wasn't convinced, especially after I told him that the S/N wasn't on the receipt that AT&T gave me. It really wasn't on the receipt and I didn't want to lie to the guy so I told him the truth and he just didn't respond after that. Some people offered me $400 and I think that's way too low for the iPhone. How much should I even sell it for? I see people sell it as high as $600, which I think is ridiculous. I thought $460 was reasonable and I was willing to let it go for $450. What's a good and fair price? I'm getting frustrated by all these low ballers.

Feedback Score
    That's true you could check stolen status perhaps? (is there a website to do it or just through police?)
    iPhone 3gs (home phone) + Motorola Razr (work phone) + Macbook Pro

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    Motorola W385
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Can anyone PLEASE suggest a price for a refurbished 16 GB iPhone 3G? It's in excellent condition. Some guy just offered me $435, but I still feel like I'm getting ripped off. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast