Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Fido Blackberry FAQ - All BB Questions And Answers HERE

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score

Fido Blackberry FAQ - All BB Questions And Answers HERE

In an effort to clean up the forum and put an end to all the repeat threads asking the same questions about Fido Blackberry service, here we go...

Information valid as of February 11, 2009

Q: Can I use an unlocked Blackberry on Fido?
    A: Yes. Simply call and add a BB data plan to your account and then register your device at www.fido.blackberry.com

Q: Customer service is asking me for an IMEI number before they'll give me a plan. What do I do?
    A: In order for the Blackberry options to become available on your account, an IMEI must be entered into the system. If you are using a Fido Blackberry, give them the number. It's located on the device and on the box it came in. If you're using an unlocked Blackberry, give them the "dummy" IMEI number: 2222222222228

Q: I have a BB plan activated, but when I try to register my device at the Blackberry site it says my PIN is already registered with another service provider. Can you help?
    A: If you bought your BB second hand, this is quite common. Contact the original owner and have him/her release the PIN from the original service provider.

Q: Oh noes! I no longer have contact with the original owner. Am I screwed??
    A: There is a loophole that works for many people. Once you have an active BB plan on your account, try registering your device directly from the phone itself. Go to Options > Advanced > Host Routing Cable > Hit the BB button and select "register now".

Q: I have a BB plan but cannot access the internet on my unlocked Blackberry. How do I configure it?
    A: You will need to change its APN, just like you do for any other unlocked phone. Go to Options > Advanced > TCP > APN and change it to internet.fido.ca and click Save. (Leave the user name and password empty)

Q: I already have the $30/6GB or $50/UL data plan on my account. Can I use this with Blackberry?
    A: Yes and No. You will not have access to Blackberry specific features such as push email, BB browser, etc, however you can still use third-party applications for "pull email", web surfing, etc.

Q: How is a Blackberry data plan different from a regular data plan?
    A: Regular data plans give you access to Fido's APN's for internet access. Blackberry data plans give you the same thing PLUS access to the Blackberry APN. This allows you to use Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) and gives you all the cool features such as push email, etc.

Q: Can I switch my 6GB data plan over to a Blackberry data plan to try it out and switch back if I decide that BB just isn't for me?
    A: No. Once you give up your grandfathered data plan you cannot get it back. Choose wisely.

Q: Can I add a Blackberry data plan on top of my existing data plan?
    A: No. You cannot have more than one data option of any kind on your line.

Q: Can I use Blackberry on prepaid?
    A: For calling and texting, yes. You won't have access to BIS or any of the BIS features Blackberry is designed for.

Q: What kind of stuff can I use on BlackBerry with just a regular data plan?
    A: Although you won't have access to RIM-branded BB applications, you can use third-party software such as Opera Mini for browsing, IM+ for messaging, Gmail Mobile for email, BBWeather, Google Maps Mobile, etc. Many of these are free and can be downloaded onto your computer and installed using BlackBerry Desktop over a USB cable to your Blackberry. All other regular phone functions such as calling, texting, voicemail, etc, will work fine.

Q: Some software I want must be installed wirelessly. How do I install these?
    A: The easiest way to do this is by simply borrowing a friends SIM card (with an active BB plan) and insert it in your Blackberry for a few minutes just to download the stuff you want. Remember, if your Blackberry is locked to Fido you'll have to use a Fido SIM with an active BB data plan.

Q: I am using the old Fido Blackberry Connect data plan. Can I switch to the new BB data plans? Does it change my service?
    A: Yes you can switch to the new plans. The only difference is you will now be getting a whole lot more data for less money.

Q: Will the new BB data plans work on my non-Blackberry device with Blackberry Connect software?
    A: Yes. All you need is BIS access to use Blackberry-enabled features on non-Blackberries such as the Nokia E62, Moto Q, etc.

Q: If I have a Blackberry plan, can I still swap phones and use data in other devices?
    A: Yes. Again, Blackberry data plans also give you the same data access as all regular data plans.

Q: I have the $15 unlimited email & messaging plan. Can I browse the web?
    A: This one should be obvious. NO.

Q: Can I use my Blackberry as a modem (tether) without extra charges?
    A: Yes. Fido and Rogers do not -- and never do -- charge separately for tethering. All usage comes out of your data bucket. Data is data, no matter how you use it. This information is also clearly stated on Fido's web site. Tether away.

Q: I've heard that Blackberries compress data which gives you more bang for the buck. Is that true?
    A: Yes. All applications which run through the Blackberry servers such as BB email, PIN messaging, BB browser, etc, are heavily compressed. For example, you can load approximately five or six facebook pages on a Blackberry for the same amount of data that just one facebook page would take to load on an iPhone. Realistically, 1GB of Blackberry data usage is quite similar to 6GB of usage on other phones. This does not apply to streaming, downloading, or tethering of course.

Q: Why can't I get MMS to work on my unlocked Blackberry?
    A: Currently this feature only works on Fido-branded Blackberries.

Q: I need access to BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server). Does Fido offer this?
    A: No. Fido does not provide BES service at this time. You'll have to switch to Rogers for that.

Q: What are the current Blackberry data rates?
    A: This question can be answered by simply visiting www.fido.ca. No need to clutter up the forums.

Q: Do the Blackberry data plans require a data contract?
    A: No. They can be added on a month-to-month basis.

Please use this thread for all Blackberry questions and answers!

Cheers!
    Last edited by credmau5; 02-11-2009 at 02:55 PM.

FIDO $40/4GB BYOD
    PUBLIC $38/4GB BYOD
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB full speed)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Device(s)
    Cingular 8525(Data), Sammy A736(Voice) SOLD SE S500I(Voice), SOLD-Nokia 6300, Q9H, RAZR2 V9
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Nice, this will avoid many useless threads
    ===================================
    My blog: http://www.justgeeky.com
    My site: http://www.facilityhost.com
    Free Image Hosting: http://www.imageupload.ca
    My feedback

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by N|KO
    Nice, this will avoid many useless threads
    Really??? You actually believe that?

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Feedback Score
    Great summary of questions, man!

This 100% helps, and hopefully people will read it... now let's get this puppy stickied...

Feedback Score
    So can I use my Bold with Fido??

Carrier(s)
    Fido/Rogers/Tmobile/Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoldmoto
    hahahhahahhaha

Device(s)
    BB BOLD
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Thank you i.Fido!!!!

can we make this a sticky?

btw if you want to REGISTER the blackberry through the phone you have to do this

Options => Advanced Options => Host Routing Cable => Hit the BB button and select "register now"

This may also work IF it says your phone is registered to another provider. If the above doesn't work THEN call the other provider and have them release the pin.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoldmoto
    ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by 1point8T
    Thank you i.Fido!!!!

can we make this a sticky?

btw if you want to REGISTER the blackberry through the phone you have to do this

Options => Advanced Options => Host Routing Cable => Hit the BB button and select "register now"
    Added! Cheers.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8gb (2.5G)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure this has been addressed, but anyways:

Can you use an unlocked Blackberry with the $15 email only plan? IF so, do you get charged for data if you open the browser or does it lock it out?...Also if you have a BB with Wifi could you use the browser on Wifi with the $15 plan?

Device(s)
    BB BOLD
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by viper_2_4
    I'm sure this has been addressed, but anyways:

Can you use an unlocked Blackberry with the $15 email only plan? IF so, do you get charged for data if you open the browser or does it lock it out?...Also if you have a BB with Wifi could you use the browser on Wifi with the $15 plan?

Yes you can use an unlocked BB with the $15 email only plan. Some people have been having problems adding it.

The browser will not be pushed to the BB if you have an email only plan. IF the bb has wifi the browser will be available with wifi. If you try to use it without wifi it will not connect.

i.Fido i think you'll need to add a q like this to your post. Also, you can activate the BB browser with a normal data plan following these steps listed on this website http://bb.anworm.com/Home/english

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Yes you can use an unlocked BB with the $15 email only plan. Some people have been having problems adding it.

The browser will not be pushed to the BB if you have an email only plan. IF the bb has wifi the browser will be available with wifi. If you try to use it without wifi it will not connect.

i.Fido i think you'll need to add a q like this to your post. Also, you can activate the BB browser with a normal data plan following these steps listed on this website http://bb.anworm.com/Home/english

Thank you. That is what this entire thread will be for. Everyone can ask and answer away without cluttering up the whole Fido forum!

Device(s)
    Nokia 8800 Scirocco
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Ok forgive me for my ignorance I'm extremely new to the BB World.

So if I get an unlocked BB 8900, sign up at the fido.blackberry website and I subscribe to the BB data plan, I should be able to use the BB messenger and be able to PIN other BB no problem correct?
    Phones I've Used:

Motorola: C333, V60,V70, V80, T720, V878, V620i, E398, V300, V3, V180
    Panasonic: VS2, VS7
    Nokia: 6100, 6200, 6260, 7610, 3120, 8801
    Sony Ericsson: T610, T637, K750i (x2), White w900i
    Sharp: GX-32, GX-25, 903
    Samsung: E900, d500

I owned a 8801 for 1.5 days and then sold it for $100 more...

Current Phone: SE K800i and loving it...

"The 1900Mhz is Strong in this One"

My Hofo Feedback: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=172833

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8gb (2.5G)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Thats great! thanks for the response!

Device(s)
    BB BOLD
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkWdwPrelude
    So if I get an unlocked BB 8900, sign up at the fido.blackberry website and I subscribe to the BB data plan, I should be able to use the BB messenger and be able to PIN other BB no problem correct?

If you get an unlocked BB 8900 make sure the PIN is not locked to a users account(ie. if the person you are buying it off of had bb service prior to this but never called Rogers to 'release the pin')

Add BB dataplan, register through the phone, set up email through the phone(because it may not let you through fido's bb website at first until you create a username through the phone).

Feedback Score
    Add this Also Please...

If you have the 6GIG Plan it will be swapped for another BlackBerry Data Plan on a 3Y ( DECF CHARGES STILL ARE ATACHED TO ANY DATA OPTION )

Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast