Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Waive Activation Fee?

Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

Waive Activation Fee?

Is it possible to activate a month to month plan without an activation fee?

What I was thinking about doing is porting into Verizon on a family plan. Will there still be an activation fee?

(I've been trying to find out the cheapest way to get started on a family plan without a contract. I already have a Verizon Wireless phone and I thought it would be nice to get a Verizon Wireless postpaid plan, only if I didn't need to pay an activation fee.)

Feedback Score
    The activation fee is never waived for 1 year or month to month agreements. On verizonwireless.com they waive the activation fee from Friday-Monday; however, this only applies to 2 year agreements.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The activation fee is the biggest joke in the wireless industry. I'm signing up for a 2-year contract, agreeing to pay for service, and they STILL charge an activation fee? For the record, I don't use VZW online, and shouldn't be forced to use it for a better deal.

Phones
    LG Voyager
    LG VX9900-O
    LG VX9800
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanBounca
    The activation fee is the biggest joke in the wireless industry. I'm signing up for a 2-year contract, agreeing to pay for service, and they STILL charge an activation fee? For the record, I don't use VZW online, and shouldn't be forced to use it for a better deal.
    It's so nice to see there's no short of ignorance left on these forums. Do you have any idea how expensive it is for a carrier to start a new line of service? Let alone how long it will be before that new line of service becomes profitable? I know, I know, The Man is just taking your money for no good reason. Poor you.

There are reasons for these fees, and unless you are eligible for a specific promotion which discounts activation fees (i.e. a corporate discount, an activation fee waiver special, ordering online, etc), you will owe the activation fee.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flyawaybird
    It's so nice to see there's no short of ignorance left on these forums. Do you have any idea how expensive it is for a carrier to start a new line of service? Let alone how long it will be before that new line of service becomes profitable? I know, I know, The Man is just taking your money for no good reason. Poor you.

There are reasons for these fees, and unless you are eligible for a specific promotion which discounts activation fees (i.e. a corporate discount, an activation fee waiver special, ordering online, etc), you will owe the activation fee.
    ohhhhh boy

I was going to say it, but I already have a reputation of being an ***, so I refrained

But now that it's been said, I'll just leave one tiny little comment.....all kinds of companies charge fees. Cable companies charge setup and activation fees. Water companies and electric companies charge hook-up fees when you turn on service at your house. They charge ANOTHER fee, called a "transfer of service" fee, if you move from one place to another. Chances are your mortgage holder (for homeowners) or your landlord (for renters) charges "administration fees" on your mortgage or rent. Most electronics stores charge "restocking fees" to return merchandise. I just found out that, if I try to pay my CapitalOne bill with check-by-phone, they charge a $12 fee to accept it. Verizon charges agents a $3 billpay fee, which I in-turn charge my customers, for taking bill payments at my store (no, believe me or not, we make NOTHING on those fees). Whenever I process a credit or debit card, Visa, MC, Discover, or AmEx charge me fees for *every* transaction I process (from .19c to .21c). When I get my oil changed down at the ol' Jiffy Lube, they charge an "oil disposal" fee. Same for tires, there's a "tire disposal fee". If we use toll roads to get to work, we have to pay the toll...otherwise known as a "fee".

Why is it we pay these fees all day long, but the most *****ed-about fee in the history of fees seems to be the "cell phone activation fee."
    Low price, Excellent Service, High Quality. Pick any two, but you never get all three.

Phones
    LG Voyager
    LG VX9900-O
    LG VX9800
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Whoregan
    ohhhhh boy

I was going to say it, but I already have a reputation of being an ***, so I refrained

But now that it's been said, I'll just leave one tiny little comment.....all kinds of companies charge fees. Cable companies charge setup and activation fees. Water companies and electric companies charge hook-up fees when you turn on service at your house. They charge ANOTHER fee, called a "transfer of service" fee, if you move from one place to another. Chances are your mortgage holder (for homeowners) or your landlord (for renters) charges "administration fees" on your mortgage or rent. Most electronics stores charge "restocking fees" to return merchandise. I just found out that, if I try to pay my CapitalOne bill with check-by-phone, they charge a $12 fee to accept it. Verizon charges agents a $3 billpay fee, which I in-turn charge my customers, for taking bill payments at my store (no, believe me or not, we make NOTHING on those fees). Whenever I process a credit or debit card, Visa, MC, Discover, or AmEx charge me fees for *every* transaction I process (from .19c to .21c). When I get my oil changed down at the ol' Jiffy Lube, they charge an "oil disposal" fee. Same for tires, there's a "tire disposal fee". If we use toll roads to get to work, we have to pay the toll...otherwise known as a "fee".

Why is it we pay these fees all day long, but the most *****ed-about fee in the history of fees seems to be the "cell phone activation fee."
    You have to call em' as you see em' sometimes, and considering we both actually work in the wireless industry (and the previous poster obviously does not), sometimes you have to bust that "I am the consumer and I don't want to pay for ANYTHING, all because I'm ME" bubble every once in a while.

No one likes to pay those fees. But to use some of your examples - call centers usually eat $8-$10 for each call they take, so if a CapitalOne customer calls in a check-by-phone, that's money CapitalOne loses, which is why paying online is probably free. The 'Oil Disposal Fee' pays for the special, and costly, safety/hazmat/etc laws that govern how the oil is disposed of. For tires, I'm sure it's the same.

Cell service activation is extremely costly, and in order to continue providing the best service possible, some of that cost will get passed down to the customer. I guess it's just easier/more fun to think one is getting screwed in some fashion or another.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flyawaybird

Seriously, you can't justify the activation fee with me. It doesn't matter how expensive it actually is to activate a new line of service, being I'm agreeing to use your service, and it's people such as myself that make your company matter. The activation fee, is more or less, a penalty for starting service, and IMO, it's complete crap.

For the record, I've been in the wireless industry for about 3-years now.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    So why is it *only* the wireless phone activation fee that you apparently have a problem with? I'm not trying to be a prick here, just trying to honestly figure out why the wireless phone activation fee is the only "BS" fee in the massive sea of company "fees"....

and to flyawaybird....your posts remind me alot of me lol

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Whoregan
    So why is it *only* the wireless phone activation fee that you apparently have a problem with? I'm not trying to be a prick here, just trying to honestly figure out why the wireless phone activation fee is the only "BS" fee in the massive sea of company "fees"....

and to flyawaybird....your posts remind me alot of me lol
    When did I say this was the only fee that I disagree? There are plenty of other fees that are complete and utter B/S, but most of which within the wireless world are FCC, local and state, required. The VZW activation fee is controlled by VZW, and can be changed.

Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You're missing the point. He was speaking about the sea of fees charged in other industries.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vatothe0
    You're missing the point. He was speaking about the sea of fees charged in other industries.
    As I previously stated, I never said I didn't have a problem with other industries fees, but this thread was regarding activation fees.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Fees are a way of offsetting costs of doing business. They aren't going away anytime soon.

Phone
    lg dare
    Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanBounca
    The VZW activation fee is controlled by VZW, and can be changed.
    $$$ iz $$$. If you eliminate the activation fee, and you want your $$$'s, you simply INCREASE other services to compensate.

Your true complaint, then, is the overall TOTAL cost. VZW can choose to change the activation fee. But the resultant decrease in their earnings below what they target (which is also "controlled by VZW") will result in increased monthly fees, increased equipment costs, reduced minutes in each plan, reduced night/weekend calling hours, or any, all or other revenue schemes.

There is, in other words, no free lunch. Complaining about one fee in a vacuum, without realizing the income is easily replaced via other means, is not very functional.....

Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmermel
    $$$ iz $$$. If you eliminate the activation fee, and you want your $$$'s, you simply INCREASE other services to compensate.

VZW can choose to change the activation fee. But the resultant decrease in their earnings below what they target (which is also "controlled by VZW") will result in increased monthly fees, increased equipment costs, reduced minutes in each plan, reduced night/weekend calling hours, or any, all or other revenue scheme.
    That makes sense. I just don't want to put out the money. Since there is an activation fee I'm probably going to go with a company that doesn't charge them or is waiving them. I was really considering Verizon over T-Mobile even though they are more expensive, because the Verizon gets a better signal in my area.

What I also need to consider is that I already own Verizon Wireless phones. I would not need to purchase another phone. If I were to get T-Mobile I would need to purchase phones. The cheapest phone that I like from T-Mobile is $30. That is basically the same as paying a Verizon Wireless activation fee. So now I need to decide between Verizon and T-Mobile.

I'm guessing there is still an activation fee if I port a number to Verizon or if I had Verizon Prepaid and then wanted to change it to the month to month plan?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Moto Droid
    Carrier
    VZDub
    Feedback Score
    I didn't realize they still charged for activation. I can't remember the last time I was. Do activation fees apply to online sales?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast