Thread: Boost Mobile Vs metroPCS.. Whats the difference?

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Boost Mobile Vs metroPCS.. Whats the difference?

Now that they both offer 50 unlimited plans, whats the difference?

some say nationwide coverage, but from what i see , metro roams on other networks for free anyway (when not on thier network) so if your put that all together its actually bigger than Boosts nationwide coverage....

i just switched to boost and just realized today that metro is in the nyc market....

can we battle this one out?

Carrier
    Sprint via FreedomPop/Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Metro roams on Cricket for unlimited, so it's not a complete nationwide network. In fact, it's not in some major cities, either. However, Metro can roam on other CDMA networks, but for that it won't be unlimited.

Phones
    Motorola W385
    Motorola SLVR (Not used anymore)
    Nokia 6235i (Not used anymore)
    Carriers
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    MetroPCS is cheap as hell
    Boost is not at least in CDMA plans (which I switched to from Metro two days ago). I don't like having a $73 bill for what I used to get on metro for $53. They just need to develop their rural areas (Eureka, CA). I had them for close to 3 years and I LOVED them, everything about them until I moved up here. Long live MetroPCS. Boost please lower your CDMA plans to match your iDEN plans and I will be as happy as I was on Metro.

Phones
    Unlocked iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    Sprint
    AT&T (Never Again--I will be sad if the merger is approved)
    Feedback Score
    I have tried both services over the past few months and here are my impressions:

MetroPCS
    Text messaging actually works on MetroPCS for one. There are no delays.

Having the ability to roam on Verizon is fantastic too and text messages are ALWAYS unlimited no matter what network you are on. When I visited my family in Montana it was nice to be able to answer my phone for short calls or call the person back from a landline if the conversation was going to be longer. I also sent around 400 text messages during the week while I was there and that was all included free of charge. With Boost I didn't have any service at all.

Metro's data speeds are also faster. The New York network supports EVDO and updated phones are coming out to go along with that. I personally enjoy having call waiting and 3-way calling on my line too.

Boost
    If you travel a lot, and text messaging isn't important to you at all, then Boost is a much better service. Their coverage area is a lot larger and the voice quality is excellent. Push to Talk is a cool feature too.

My decision
    I ultimately settled on MetroPCS. I send a lot of text messages and that was by far the biggest factor in my decision. But as I also mentioned I frequently use call waiting and 3-way calling too. I don't find myself using the Internet from my phone that often so the improved data speeds didn't sway me all that much. I also liked the comfort of knowing that I will almost never be without coverage when I travel. I love knowing that I will never be without Unlimited texts too--Verizon's network is pretty hard to beat. Again, if I frequently traveled to areas outside of MetroPCS and Cricket (or lived where they didn't offer service obviously) then I would be with Boost.

All three of them (Boost, Cricket, and MetroPCS) are great companies in my opinion. There isn't any reason for there to be a rivalry between the services. We should all feel lucky that we're not the suckers paying two or three times as much on the other carriers!

Carrier
    Sprint via FreedomPop/Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnmhorn
    MetroPCS is cheap as hell
    Boost is not at least in CDMA plans (which I switched to from Metro two days ago). I don't like having a $73 bill for what I used to get on metro for $53. They just need to develop their rural areas (Eureka, CA). I had them for close to 3 years and I LOVED them, everything about them until I moved up here. Long live MetroPCS. Boost please lower your CDMA plans to match your iDEN plans and I will be as happy as I was on Metro.
    Boost no longer advertises CDMA service. Now they just have the $50 (fees included) unlimited everything nationwide iDEN plan.

Disadvantage of iDEN: poor texting quality (especially for receiving messages) and poor phone selection

Feedback Score
    Boost Mobile is supposedly very soon adjusting the existing CDMA plans to match the IDEN plans.

I pretty much concur with Sawawa's objective opinion above . I just wanted to add that the Boost IDEN 800mhz signal has better building penetration .

Phones
    Samsung Transform Ultra
    Transform Ultra C290W385 GLYDE
    Razr i776
    Carriers
    Boost CDMA Boost IDEn ex Verizon Unlimited by Boost CDMA
    AT&T SPRINT NEXTEL
    Feedback Score
    Should there be a concern about IMO a few posts about bad texting and problems about texting from years ago. IMO if there was a severe texting problem, why arent there hundreds of really angry posts? I text a lot, to many different carriers, and many parts of the country. No problems, quickly, and get a lot of replies quickly. I am sure that the posters are having problems but are there not problems with other carriers? Are they as few as Boost is having and are they from the first few days where the setup is occurring? Decesions are being made by our posts but then I am a glass half full guy.

Phone
    HTC_One(M8)WP, moto_X~2
    Carrier
    VZW_PrePd, REpublic_Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13337/608; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

IMPORTANT difference # 1:

metroPCS DROPS CALLS - this is a HUGE problem that continues to be ignored by metroPCS.
    No Contract means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

VZW PrePaid: $45 | Republic Wireless: $5

Phone
    HTC_One(M8)WP, moto_X~2
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13337/608; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

IMPORTANT difference #2:

metroPCS charges about $1 per minute ROAMING FEES. (visit the metroPCS website and see for yourselves they are quite proud of this little outrageous roaming fee)
    Last edited by vmobi; 02-12-2009 at 09:00 AM.

Phone
    HTC_One(M8)WP, moto_X~2
    Carrier
    Feedback Score

IMPORTANT difference #3:

metroPCS is a small regional company.(available in about 3 or 4 hundred towns)
    BOOST MOBILE is available in more than 15,000+ cities across the United States with more than 40,000 retailers selling products and/or services.

Phone
    BB 9630 Tour
    Carriers
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    1) This is a boost forum for discussing Boost. IF you want to compare carriers please visit individual carrier forums and read for yourself the differences.

2) Boost is a nationwide carrier which means you get roaming/nationwide coverage for free. MetroPCS is a regional carrier which means in some areas roaming fees may apply.

3) MetroPCS has EVDO in most markets which means faster web access. Boost web access is about as fast as dialup.

4) Text delays happen on any carrier from time to time, don't base your decision simply on that.

5) MetroPCS is CDMA and you can use almost any phone from verizon, sprint, alltel, qwest, or cricket on it. Boost requires you to use the handsets they offer. (maybe nextel handsets also).
    -------------------------------------------
    Isriam
    Want 20GB of FREE storage? Much better than Dropbox with better software, service, and rules! +5GB for every referral you get! Click me