Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Southern Illinois Alltel?

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless (Since March 2002)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mick662
    Alltel has holes in coverage in a lot of the same spots that VZW does in South Dakota, so that may have been part of the reasoning. And considering those are barren Sh**holes, it was probably just easier to get rid of the whole state.
    More than likely, the real reason to get rid of Alltel has to do with the attached GSM network. Verizon would have to maintain the GSM network in those states. Then you have to factor in, that Verizon is not gonna want to divest their customers as much as possible. Where they did divest their own customers, it was divesting PCS only markets, and in cases where they acquired Unicel, they divested the GSM network (in SW Minnesota, it was divesting their own network, which was poorly built out from the WW days).

Carrier
    AT&T former Alltel Blue (WWC)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dave73
    Verizon could have petitioned with the FCC to have the A side split where they don't have cellular coverage. They decided it was easier to divest the entire A side than to have the A side split where they don't have coverage. I don't wvwn know if that's allowed nowadays. There are other areas where Verizon doesn't have service, but divesting Alltel anyway. All of North & South Dakota are 2 areas where Verizon lacks coverage in small holes, but divesting anyway. I would say in those cases, it might be cheaper to pay Comnet Wireless for roaming than to maintain a network there.
    They did the same thing in Northeastern Utah. No Verizon presence whatsoever and they still divested the Alltel network. No complaints from me though. Ive never been a fan of Red.

Phones
    Mesmerize
    Mesmerize
    Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    us cellular has their eye on this area. will they win it? thats the question.
    -Username says it all-

Phone
    Nokia 5800
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Question AT&T/Alltel in southern Illinois

Any new information on what will come of the southern Illinois Alltel network?

Verizon and Alltel always had a similar coverage pattern in southern Illinois. In fact, many of their towers were located in nearly the same locations. So it's not a surprise that Verizon is being forced to divest its newly acquired Alltel network here.

If I'm not mistaken, Alltel continued both the CDMA and GSM networks after acquiring First Cellular. They currently sell CDMA-only plans, but had roaming agreements to allow AT&T customers to use their GSM network. I have recently lost touch as to whether this roaming agreement is still in place or whether Alltel's GSM coverage still exists.

AT&T has great service in many of the larger communities of southern Illinois, in addition to the major highways and interstates. However, they have always lagged behind Verizon and Alltel when it comes to the rural areas--especially in southeast Illinois.

Personally, I would rather see AT&T acquire the Alltel properties versus US Cellular or T-Mobile. This would greatly enhance AT&T's coverage in rural southern Illinois and would complement their already solid coverage in neighboring western Kentucky, southern Indiana, & southeast Missouri. Plus, it's hard to beat the Rollover advantage of AT&T.

Next question is 3G. I see its coming as close as Hopkinsville, Madisonville, & Murray later this year, but still no mention of Paducah, KY or Carbondale/Marion, IL. Anyone have a clue???

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan 3G
    Any new information on what will come of the southern Illinois Alltel network?

Verizon and Alltel always had a similar coverage pattern in southern Illinois. In fact, many of their towers were located in nearly the same locations. So it's not a surprise that Verizon is being forced to divest its newly acquired Alltel network here.

If I'm not mistaken, Alltel continued both the CDMA and GSM networks after acquiring First Cellular. They currently sell CDMA-only plans, but had roaming agreements to allow AT&T customers to use their GSM network. I have recently lost touch as to whether this roaming agreement is still in place or whether Alltel's GSM coverage still exists.

AT&T has great service in many of the larger communities of southern Illinois, in addition to the major highways and interstates. However, they have always lagged behind Verizon and Alltel when it comes to the rural areas--especially in southeast Illinois.

Personally, I would rather see AT&T acquire the Alltel properties versus US Cellular or T-Mobile. This would greatly enhance AT&T's coverage in rural southern Illinois and would complement their already solid coverage in neighboring western Kentucky, southern Indiana, & southeast Missouri. Plus, it's hard to beat the Rollover advantage of AT&T.

Next question is 3G. I see its coming as close as Hopkinsville, Madisonville, & Murray later this year, but still no mention of Paducah, KY or Carbondale/Marion, IL. Anyone have a clue???
    All of Alltel's Kentucky network is going to Verizon. Whether Verizon already has coverage in some of those areas is unknown (Paducah, KY I already know has Verizon coverage with EVDO). Any areas with Verizon already in those markets, Verizon will use the Alltel network for capacity. As for Illinois where Verizon must divest Alltel; it's unknown yet who'll take over that part of the state. USCC does show interest in that area, as they like to invest in rural markets. AT&T probably shows interest there too. If AT&T shows a lot of interest, then they'll likely outbid USCC for Southern Illinois. I however wouldn't expect AT&T to add 3G as fast as Verizon did to that area. I don't know if USCC already has a license for southern Illinois or not.
    I don't expect T-Mobile to acquire any of the divested properties, as they usually avoid rural markets. Suncom is their only acquisition to date, and that gave them just the Carolinas for new markets.

Phone
    Samsung t409, Samsung Gravity TXT, and Nokia Lumia 710
    Carrier
    T-Mobile GSM/3G/4G/UMA (voice/text/data)
    Feedback Score
    Why not have at&t buy the GSM properties. USCC buys the CDMA properties. NOT THAT HARD TO FIGURE OUT THERE! lol (not yelling, just emphasis).
    T-Mobile. Connecting you when you need it most... disconnecting you when you need to connect with God's beautiful creation! Service is great in cities and highways, but in rural areas they leave you with just your surroundings. I encourage you to get T-Mobile, disconnect for a while!

I am glad that God is not like cell phone coverage. He does not hide behind mountains or loose us down long windy roads. The Lord levels mountains, and He makes our paths straight!

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NexTel32708
    Why not have at&t buy the GSM properties. USCC buys the CDMA properties. NOT THAT HARD TO FIGURE OUT THERE! lol (not yelling, just emphasis).
    In former western wireless markets GSM and CDMA networks share a significant amount of hardware - towers, antennas, cabling, backhaul and data core. Splitting it up isnt an easy task. When Alltel bought WWC they had to physically move all of the GSM base station equipment from WWC towers to Alltel towers in Kansas and Nebraska.

Feedback Score

Any

Quote Originally Posted by cclay25
    In former western wireless markets GSM and CDMA networks share a significant amount of hardware - towers, antennas, cabling, backhaul and data core. Splitting it up isnt an easy task. When Alltel bought WWC they had to physically move all of the GSM base station equipment from WWC towers to Alltel towers in Kansas and Nebraska.

Any ideas on who may be interested in upstate SC areas ?

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Don'tKnowMuch
    Any ideas on who may be interested in upstate SC areas ?
    Honestly - Verizon is handling the selling of the markets until July and they are telling us nothing. We get our updates from RCR (RIP) and Hofo......

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NexTel32708
    I believe Alltel only has the A side, and no PCS for southern Illinois. Unless the license can be partitioned, the entire license & network must be divested. It might be set up like how WW built out their GSM roaming network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dave73
    I believe Alltel only has the A side, and no PCS for southern Illinois. Unless the license can be partitioned, the entire license & network must be divested. It might be set up like how WW built out their GSM roaming network.
    Wrong! Alltel has the B side of 800 in Southern Illinois with CDMA & GSM for roaming. They also have the 1900-C license there too.

Look it up in the FCC database.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2