Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fido SGH-F266 by Samsung

Feedback Score

Fido SGH-F266 by Samsung

Review of the SGH-F266

This phone is a paradox that goes out of its way to alienate its users thanks to poor business decisions my Fido Rogers management and very buggy PC support software. Sad because the phone hardware and OS is actually very very good thanks to Samsung.

Pros: Great phone, very stable OS and robust design. Menus are intuitive and easy to get to what you want. Camera great and usable but is has no flash.
    Screen is very easy to read. Number buttons are easy to press and far enough apart. Charges in USB. Decent sound. Good reception in Guelph with no dropouts or dropped calls so far.

Cons: (in order of obnoxiousness)

1) The PC software is barely alpha and is called the NEW PC Studio. It is almost completely useless with frequent errors and will not synch with Outlook. Won't work with the old ver 3 PC Studio (I tried it). So this makes it almost useless for any business application which is sad because if it would synch with Outlook properly it would be all most people would need. Won't work properly with Mobile Master either but some functions work OK.

2) Fido Rogers has gone DRM wild with this phone. It is almost expected that Fido/Rogers will lock out/cripple their phones so that normal MP3s can't be used as ringtones BUT they have taken it one step further with the SGH-F266. You can't even open pictures of your child/wife/cat that you upload to your phone .... they are locked out from opening if you get them over Bluetooth or USB cable. This is the finest example of corporate greed I have ever seen ..... I can't put my wife's picture on my phone so instead I am going to pay to download some other picture from Fido instead? That's insane. The only workaround I found is to take new pictures with the camera on the phone OR just take pictures of your pictures on the computer monitor.

3) The INTERNET button is custom designed so that you will activate it every single time you use the phone ... every time. Locking out internet at Fido is a requirement for this phone

4) Fido thinks that providing the cheesiest game demos are going to entice you into downloading more so they decided to make the demos NON DELETEable just in case someday you may be so bored that even these crap games would be worth a download. NOT They just take up space better used elsewhere

Verdict: The SGH-f266 is a prime example of what happens when Fido management gets a hold of a really good phone and cripples it so that maybe some users will be tricked into spending money.

It could be a great office phone but it won't synch

It could be a great fun phone, but they took all the fun out of it

Whats left is a 5 out of 10

Feedback Score

Second Thoughts

On second thought it is unfair to give this phone 5 out of 10 so I will revise my review

Fido gets 0 out of 10 for butchering this great little phone

Samsung gets 10 out of 10 for making a dangerous crossover phone that alot of people want but no carrier wants to sell.

The SGH-F266 has all the features 90% of the people want and they are all well implemented except PC Studio. It is much better than phones in its class and it is so good it can compete against much more expensive and complicated phones which make the carrier much more money because data services are so overpriced in Canada. With a little more development the SGH-F266 could be all the phone most people need.

To make it to prime time this phone needs:

1) To be able to synch with Outlook like it is supposed to
    2) Mobile Master support (I have already contacted the dev)
    3) The Fido/Rogers crippling removed
    4) POP3 support and POP3 service that is reasonably priced

This phone reminds me of the superb camera, the FZ-30 made by Panasonic. It did everything well and all it needed was some sensor development to make the camera better in low light to make it all the camera almost anybody needed. Development on this line was quashed because the suits wanted to push the more profitable DSLs and sell lenses. It became an orphan product.

Feedback Score
    Nice review! I'm actually thinking of getting this phone from Fido later today.

Can you please explain your comment about the internet button being custom designed to activate each time you use the phone? I saw a video review of the phone and it mentioned that the internet button is easy to hit the internet button by accident if you do not button lock your phone. Is this what you mean? And what do you mean by locking out internet at fido?

Feedback Score

Internet

Quote Originally Posted by hagemusha
    Nice review! I'm actually thinking of getting this phone from Fido later today.

Can you please explain your comment about the internet button being custom designed to activate each time you use the phone? I saw a video review of the phone and it mentioned that the internet button is easy to hit the internet button by accident if you do not button lock your phone. Is this what you mean? And what do you mean by locking out internet at fido?
    You have to try it to really understand. The internet button is a softkey that is often a GO BACK button ..... press it once to many and you turn on internet.

Feedback Score

Followup review of F266

Been using the phone more and have some comments to add:

Had a dropped call in Guelph at my home, which is a poor signal area. The F266 still way better than my previous phones in this aspect

F266 Bluetooth works well with my cheap PC bluetooth dongle and my Sony Erik headset. Bluetooth seems well implemented on this phone

Mobilemail works very well with Sympatico/MSN. I got a 5$ plan from Fido which allows me unlimited check/send of my sympatico email. This is a very very useful feature for a reasonable price. So I partially revise my previous angst about Fido.

Battery life: Upon more use it seems that this phone not have a very long run time on battery ..... I am not sure about the scaling on the battery meter so I can't be sure. Some phones die quickly after the phone reaches 2 bars and some have accurate meters, I haven't run the phone flat yet.

There is confusion at Fido about charges associated with accidental presses of the INTERNET button. The most knowledgeable tech I got a hold of said there would me no charges it you catch it before it connects, but after that it gets more unclear.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sirandar
    You have to try it to really understand. The internet button is a softkey that is often a GO BACK button ..... press it once to many and you turn on internet.
    I got the phone last night and now I understand what you're talking about. But it uses WAP connection so it takes a long time to connect and all I have to do is slide the phone down to abort the connection. It's just a little annoying, but I'll give Fido a call later to disable my Internet function.

Also tried using a Bluetooth headset (Motorola H390) with this phone and it works great. One problem I'm having though is trying to play music through my bluetooth headset. I see on the phone that it does have that feature, but it's not connecting for me when I play music, yet it works perfectly when using the bluetooth headset for chatting.

Feedback Score

More comments about F266 / Fido

It is funny how big corporations operate currently. If you read between the lines you can almost hear the internal battles and the stupid heardheaded thoughts the upper management probably has.

The classic example of this must have been Fido's decision to LOCK OUT the F266 from opening any picture uploaded from the USB cable/Bluetooth. I can just hear the techs telling management that it is a stupid idea and I can picture the management ignoring them.

When Fido previously locked out users from using their own MP3s as ringtones they had the paper thin argument that they were doing so because of legal concerns with the music industry and NOT t because they where protecting their ringtones business. Now on the F266 they have locked out pictures as well, meaning if I have a picture on my Dog and I upload it to my phone, I won't be able to view it or set it as a background. That is straight out of Dilbert. Since it is hard to image any legal concerns about pictures, t shows that Fido is really only trying to protect their downloads business.

The burning question is "Who would be stupid enough to download ringtones in the age of MP3s?" Some maybe if Fido locks out MP3s, but how many?

Now that I can't view or use my own pictures on the phone .. am I going to download some from Fido? Only if I was a complete idiot ..... so I just take pictures of my pictures using my phone camera.

So with locking out MP3s and pictures, Fido has annoyed me, wasted my time, and lowered my opinion of their business for no purpose whatsoever.

On the other hand, Fido offers unlimited MSN Mobilemail for 5$/month ... a brilliant useful service for a decent price. Somebody must have some vision at the company. However I noticed that they have taken this offer down from their website today .... I guess the old guard found out about it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hagemusha
    I got the phone last night and now I understand what you're talking about. But it uses WAP connection so it takes a long time to connect and all I have to do is slide the phone down to abort the connection. It's just a little annoying, but I'll give Fido a call later to disable my Internet function.

Also tried using a Bluetooth headset (Motorola H390) with this phone and it works great. One problem I'm having though is trying to play music through my bluetooth headset. I see on the phone that it does have that feature, but it's not connecting for me when I play music, yet it works perfectly when using the bluetooth headset for chatting.
    If it isn't a Samsung headset it probably won't do music. I used to have a SE W300i phone and my SE headset was able to do more things on that phone

Feedback Score

Battery Life

Last impressions:

Battery life on my F266 is definitely not as great as I would have hoped for, but not terrible either .... it is a definite plus that this unit can charge in any USB port.

I would appreciate any comments from anyone else having an F266 regarding battery life.

Lastly, one little feature that the F266 has really shows what cell phone companies are really about. Under SECURITY the F266 has a menu to lock out certain features of the phone ..... the contact list, graphics, audio, etc BUT notably absent are the two features that most people would want to lock out ... The Internet and Games (and game downloads). Why would these two features not be lockable, but just about everything else is??? ANSWER They generate data charges for the cell provider, especially if you are foolish enough to get this phone for a teenager.

Sadly, Fido's MBAs are right on the ball in finding the sneakiest ways to enhance data charges.

Feedback Score
    The quality of the audio system through the supplied headset is surprisingly excellent for the types of music I listen to (not into big base or headbanger so can't comment on that).

Phone
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    Can someone tell me how to properly transfer files onto this phone? Every time I try putting files on my sd card and then putting it in the phone but when i try to play the songs or view pics it says something about formatting the card and if i hit yes it comes up with error.

Feedback Score

Probably have an incompatable card

Quote Originally Posted by wutt
    Can someone tell me how to properly transfer files onto this phone? Every time I try putting files on my sd card and then putting it in the phone but when i try to play the songs or view pics it says something about formatting the card and if i hit yes it comes up with error.
    Probably a incompatible card, I have a 4GB that works great

If you are in Canada go to futureshop and get a

Kingston 4GB Micro SD HC for 19.95$

Phone
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sirandar
    Probably a incompatible card, I have a 4GB that works great

If you are in Canada go to futureshop and get a

Kingston 4GB Micro SD HC for 19.95$
    Your right. I put my brothers 2GB card in my phone and it works fine. So i just gave him the 4GB card (which works in his phone) and I will use the 2GB.

Feedback Score
    Because there is really nothing else I expended some effort to try to get New PC Studio to work properly.

Actually when updated properly, the New PC Studio is not as bad as I first thought.

1) The updater doesn't work properly most of the time. Uncheck the box that says "run program" so the program doesn't run at the end of the install. The Update manually by running NPSMainChecker in the install directory

Should be HL4

2) After a good update you will probably have to clear out outlook and start fresh and you will have a decent chance of it working

3) The program accesses system memory in a way that causes errors and activates DEP. This needs to be fixed and you will probably get a NPSMain error every time you exit. If you shut off DEP for this program, you will get an illegal memory reference error message. The NEW PC Studio probably has significant memory leaks so I wouldn't keep this program loaded all the time. This error occurs on every system I tried it on and may be related to SP3.

4) Use Stages to remove from view all the crap not supported for the F266

5) NPCStudio can synch with the phone OR Outlook not both

6) Don't hit the NOTIFY Button it crashes the program

Feedback Score
    PS ... I wouldn't shut off DEP for this program, as it may be preventing NPCStudio from pooching your system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast