T-Mobile G1 - rooted, running Complete Eclair
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000
    2. Find the following in the xml file:

<hide-hsdpa-icon>true</hide-hsdpa-icon>
    <hide-3g-icon>false</hide-3g-icon>

The first one set to true will hide the H. The 3G will still show.
    That's very interesting. I didn't know you could do that. I think I'll stick with the H though, as it's more consistent with the GPRS and EDGE indicators. Think about it: G for GPRS, E for EDGE, but then "3G" for HSDPA? Why have specific indicators for 2G data, but then a generic indicator for 3G? Most providers have their phones set up that way, so I appreciate the more specific indicator that the generic SE firmware uses.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14912/810; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJay3800
    2. Find the following in the xml file:

<hide-hsdpa-icon>true</hide-hsdpa-icon>
    <hide-3g-icon>false</hide-3g-icon>

The first one set to true will hide the H. The 3G will still show.
    That's very interesting. I didn't know you could do that. I think I'll stick with the H though, as it's more consistent with the GPRS and EDGE indicators. Think about it: G for GPRS, E for EDGE, but then "3G" for HSDPA? Why have specific indicators for 2G data, but then a generic indicator for 3G? Most providers have their phones set up that way, so I appreciate the more specific indicator that the generic SE firmware uses.
    I get that but does T-Mobile have any UMTS-only towers? On my SE PC Suite it says UMTS when I tether but I am connecting at 800k so it is HSDPA. I think 3g=HSDPA

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bank Heist

I get that but does T-Mobile have any UMTS-only towers? On my SE PC Suite it says UMTS when I tether but I am connecting at 800k so it is HSDPA. I think 3g=HSDPA
    I do remember that when I first edited the customize file last year to display all of the icons, at first I saw only the 3G icon. Then a few weeks later, I saw only H when I was on the 3G network and I haven't seen the 3G icon since. (Even when I've traveled to other cities where T-Mobile 3G is active.)

I think I remember around that time Scottish would get an H around certain areas of New York, and only a 3G icon in some other areas.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I do remember that when I first edited the customize file last year to display all of the icons, at first I saw only the 3G icon. Then a few weeks later, I saw only H when I was on the 3G network and I haven't seen the 3G icon since. (Even when I've traveled to other cities where T-Mobile 3G is active.)

I think I remember around that time Scottish would get an H around certain areas of New York, and only a 3G icon in some other areas.
    Very cool! So let me get this straight. If you did no editing of the XML file, and left it as it comes with the custpack in S.D.'s Wiki, your phone will display "3G" on regular UMTS, and "H" when on HSDPA?

Another question: when on HSDPA, the black H with blue background appears, but the "G" for GPRS still appears by the signal bars. Why wouldn't the G disappear when on HSDPA?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeJay3800
    Very cool! So let me get this straight. If you did no editing of the XML file, and left it as it comes with the custpack in S.D.'s Wiki, your phone will display "3G" on regular UMTS, and "H" when on HSDPA?

Another question: when on HSDPA, the black H with blue background appears, but the "G" for GPRS still appears by the signal bars. Why wouldn't the G disappear when on HSDPA?
    Actually SD's xml file has hide 3G icon set to true the last time I looked. But if you changed that tag to false, yes it would operate the way you describe. I don't know that T-Mobile has anywhere they're operating on only UMTS, but they did at one time.

As for the G during HSDPA, you'd have to have SE programmers about that. It doesn't make sense. As Bank Heist figured out you can make it go way by hiding it. Of course it would also be hidden when you're in an actual GPRS area.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    As for the G during HSDPA, you'd have to have SE programmers about that. It doesn't make sense. As Bank Heist figured out you can make it go way by hiding it. Of course it would also be hidden when you're in an actual GPRS area.
    I don't have 3G here and I spend a lot of time on GPRS/EDGE, so disabling the G wouldn't make sense. It would be interesting to ask an engineer why they left the G there when on HSDPA. Thanks for the info!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14912/810; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

Hiding the G also seems to hide the edge icon too. I guess I don't care because I have 3g now.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Don't brag!

My girlfriend just move to Farmington Hills, so most weekends I'll be there enjoying 3G too. I do hope Kalamazoo gets some 3G love soon though.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile prepay
    Feedback Score
    Wiki instruction says to backup before debranding. No instruction on how to backup.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmthomas
    Wiki instruction says to backup before debranding. No instruction on how to backup.
    As the wiki says, the following will be deleted from the phone:

Will Be Deleted:
    SMS messages, Phone Contacts, Java Apps & Games, Bookmarks and Custom Settings, Other Files stored in the Built In Phone Memory

Phone contacts can be backed up to the SIM, or to my.t-mboile.com or using other software to store them. Apps, games and bookmarks can be copied to an M2 card if you have one installed. You should make a note of Custom Settings so that you can repeat those settings again after doing the procedure.

To backup SMS you can use an App like my phone explorer

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Mobile-...Explorer.shtml

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile prepay
    Feedback Score
    I thought the wiki meant to backup the firmware, not the user information.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmthomas
    I thought the wiki meant to backup the firmware, not the user information.
    No. You can always re-install the original firmware from files at topsony.com if you had any reason to. But there's rarely a reason to do that.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile prepay
    Feedback Score
    I can't find the tmobile email by OZ application. I think I need this to use email with prepaid.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile prepay
    Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=voxtreet]Wow, thank you!!! This worked like a charm! Now I have Google Maps working with GPS, and TrackID, and it's just better!

Google Maps GPS does not get past loading terms and conditions with prepaid. Any advice?

The one on the original firmware would let me sign up for the GPS. Can I get it back?

Maybe you need to expand the wiki to explain what will work with prepaid?

None of the applications (Opera mini, etc.) will load up. Error says no data plan.
    Last edited by mmthomas; 04-12-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: additional data

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile prepay
    Feedback Score
    No. You can always re-install the original firmware from files at topsony.com if you had any reason to. But there's rarely a reason to do that.
    I went there but couldn't find individual application files from the original firmware. Can I put back only the applications I want? Where do I find them?

It seems this site is only good for a short period after you register. I don't want to register and lose my eligibility to download later. Do I have it right how the site works?
    Last edited by mmthomas; 04-12-2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: additional data

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast