Thread: Calling my Northeast Peeps: State your location!

Phone
    iPhone 6 128GB Silver
    Carrier
    AT&T 4G LTE
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Calling my Northeast Peeps: State your location!

I thought this would be a good opportunity for those of you locals to get to know eachother better. You can read my entry in the West / Desert Southwest sub forum here: http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1503908

What's your story?

Phones
    G1 with Kingklick's Eclair 2.1
    T-Mobile Dash
    Samsung t339 for UMA calling
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Family Plan
    Feedback Score
    I'm in Stonington, Maine, where we don't have any "real" cell phone coverage.

In 1994, I checked with Verizon and a few other companies, but they didn't have any signal here then.

I bought some of those prepaid calling cards so I could use them in emergencies, but every time I needed to use them, it seems like they had expired.

My son was a manager of a T-Mobile corporate store in Rochester, NY, and he suggested that I get a ToGo phone, because as long as you make sure you add to your account, you have roll-over minutes, and I would always be able to use the phone when I was away from home.

I got a Nokia 6010 when I was out in Rochester in 1996, and found out that my phone worked from home on AT&T. Then they increased roaming on the ToGo phones, and it worked on Unicel from where I had my small gift shop in the summer time.

In 1997, I got the Dash and a My Faves plan, and really enjoyed it. I had already spent over $100 on my ToGo account, and gave the phone to my mother so she would have it when she was on the road. I just have to remember to add $10 every year. (She doesn't ever use it, but at least she has it in case she needs it). The Dash was great from home, because at that time, there were no roaming limitations, and also, I could tether my laptop when away from home, and get on the internet when I needed to.

When my contract came up again, I got the G1, and I love that phone! I was quite bummed out when I found out you couldn't use WiFi for phone calls on it though. (I had even bought a router for that purpose). By that time, T-Mo had roaming limitations, and I needed to figure out what to do about using my phone from home.

I had no idea what UMA was, and had just assumed that if the phone worked on WiFi, that you could make calls on it. After all, this was the latest and greatest! Anyway, I did a bunch of research, then called T-Mo and tried to find out what my options were for UMA calling. It was either buying a UMA phone, (within a few months of buying my G1), adding on the 9.99 hotspot plan and switching out my SIM card whenever I wanted to make a phone call, or getting a family plan for more money and a new phone for free, and not having to swap out the sim all the time. (The other @Home plan wouldn't work for me because the power is off so often here, and I needed to keep my landline for that reason).

I got the family plan and a Samsung T339. The phone works great on UMA, but what a pain to send Texts! I used to send a bunch of them with the G1 and the Dash, but with this Samsung, texting really stinks! Now I only send my kid short texts unless I am off the island and can use my G1.

I spend a lot of time at my Mom's in Massachusettes, and out in Rochester, NY with my son and his family, and T-Mo works great in both places. We also think that in a few years, we may move out to the Rochester area, so I don't want to switch carriers. (It's really nice to have my own phone support guy right in the family)! Also, even though I don't have an unlimited plan, most of my calls are to my son and daughter-in-law's T-Mo cell phones, so it is like having unlimited, since those are where I make the most calls. I never even come close to the 700 minutes on my plan.

Anyway, I am really happy with T-Mo, but I wish they had bought Unicel! I remember a few years ago, when they built a big building on the corner of Main and High streets in Ellsworth, and put up a tower behind Pat's Pizza, and put a big call center in Limestone. I was excited because I thought they were moving into Maine in a big way. Unfortunately, I was wrong.
    My son is my T-Mobile man!

Phones
    Nokia e51
    Nokia 6030 (foreign roaming)
    Nokia 6010 (back-up, bikephone, beach phone etc)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile To Go
    Feedback Score
    Ever since I moved to US, I have a T-Mobile To Go. I initially bought it with a Nokia 6030 for $30 in Walmart in August 2006. Since then I live out near West Chester, PA and I sadly have no reception at my house. Verizon has spotty coverage and ATT works a little bit better than T-Mobile but nowhere near as good as Verizon. The reason I got T-Mobile was because.. of the brand lol. I've been a loyal customer to T-Mobile over in Europe and just figured why not. And I never changed because of the cheap international texts. Coverage around the area is indeed not as good as rural king Verizon and ATT, but it satisfies me and therefore I am de facto a happy Deutsche Telekom customer since 2003

Carriers
    US: T-Mobile, AT&T; CA: Rogers, Bell
    Global: Tru, eKit, Mobal, Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Phones
    Nexus One!
    Pharos Traveler 137 unlocked $500 dollar dud
    SE TM 506 unlocked,debranded. Old faithful
    Carriers
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    New Haven, CT, waiting for Timo to bring 3g here! At&t is looking better everyday.

Phone
    Samsung SCHR630ZKU
    Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Midcoast Maine. A lot of the peninsulas here are "white zones" (no coverage) on various providers' maps.
    I live in Lincoln County, but the company I work for operates from Knox County down to Cumberland County, pretty much either north or south of Rt. 1. I have USCC, and I'm fairly content with them. They do have a pretty "iffy" stretch of Rt. 1 from Edgecomb up into Newcastle, which I'm guessing is because the area is right in the "shadow" of a tower. (All those high-speed waves are just shooting off into the distance, bypassing my phone. )
    I've looked into GPRS for some motion-detecting cellular-capable cameras (it's a crime-prevention thing; long story), a project that will be way in the future, if it ever comes to pass. Now I'm also looking at using a GPS tracker that can send its location via GSM/SMS or GPRS. Still figuring out how to go about doing all of this, and whether it'll accomplish much.

It gives me something to keep me occupied, if not necessarily out of mischief.

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) T-Mobile_Rhodium)

Located mostly in all 5 Boroughs in NYC, I can say I am a true 3G user.
    Last edited by Scottish Skyedance; 09-20-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Optimum/Cablevision

Phone
    BB 8820
    Carrier
    T-Mo
    Feedback Score

Central Maine

I live outside of Bangor ME and T-Mo has recently expanded coverage in the area. I actually have service at my house, although Unicel has a stronger signal. I use UMA at home to get a good signal there.

Still GPRS, although at least one tower in Bangor has finally (2009 ) gotten up to Edge

Phones
    Blackberry 9700
    i880
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Rhode Island is in the Building!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phones
    Droid Eris
    TP2
    iPad ♥
    Carriers
    VZW,
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Springfield, MA. I'm out around Worcester at least twice a week. T-Mobile is straight if you stay out of the mountains. Everything is straight if you stay on the highway. Mass Pike has a small dead spot past the Sturbridge exit.

Android fanboy til I die!!! G1 FTW!!! F$^k Apple!!

Feedback Score
    boston, ma!!

Phones
    Tmobile Wing (deceased)
    Samsung Galaxy Note I717
    Tmobile HTC HD2 (Deceased)
    Carrier
    Solavei
    Feedback Score
    Cleveland, OH!!!

Feedback Score
    Seems that this section has been a bit dead for a while but what the heck. I'm in Burlington, Vermont and stuck on edge T-Mobile needs to step it up. Don't they know that Vermont is the coolest state in the union? We should be first on the list for LTE for Pete's sake!

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Re: Calling my Northeast Peeps: State your location!

Waldorf, MD
    I don't know how some of the people are living off of edge. I couldn't do it!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using HowardForums