Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Can the iPhone be tracked?

Someone was telling me recently that their employer told them he could track where they were using the iPhone. That sounded unlikely to me, given what it would involve. Even Loopt requires that the user of the phone be using it and controlling who can see them, right? The iPhone doesn't like letting apps run in the background, so I can't see there being a "secret" program doing that.

But then someone else said their employer tracked employees by GPS signal using Verizon. That all sounds awfully intrusive, especially since cell phone companies aren't too keen on tracking lost phones with the technology available, even though they could. Do you all think that's really happening, or are these employers just trying to scare their employees?

Phones
    White 32 gig 3Gs
    Blackberry 9700(COU)
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Carrier
    at&t. Only provider for 13 years
    Feedback Score
    False.

His employer would need a court order and even then it would be unlikely they would participate unless it was tracking somebody for doing something illegal.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 99slobra
    False.

His employer would need a court order and even then it would be unlikely they would participate unless it was tracking somebody for doing something illegal.
    That's what I thought. It seems over the top.

Although, I guess if you signed something when you started work saying you were aware of and allowed that they could do it without a court order. Sort of like drug testing policies, maybe? But then technically with the iPhone it wouldn't be a simple matter, because you would need some software to allow it. Any ideas about Verizon? I would think the same kinds of rules would apply.

Feedback Score
    If the phone (or truck or anything) belongs to the employer, then yes they can legally track you. Quite a few companies have GPS in their vehicles to aid in dispatching, and/or pay a carrier to tell them where their employees are with their company devices.

Remember, the same 911 technology that can be used to remotely find your phone, is also sold by carriers for outside location services.

But if it's your phone, then no, it can't be done without your agreement.

And especially in the case of the iPhone... without background tasks, you'd know about it.

(OTOH, there are background apps for other phones that allow you, the owner, to send it a text message if someone steals it, and get back a reply with the location, all without the thief knowing.)

Phones
    Galaxy Note 4
    Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    there is an app you have to install on the phone to track the phone
    Mopar ftw!!! NYLX

Phones
    iPhone 3gS [32g] White
    iPhone 3g [8g] black (for sale)
    I wouldn't have an iphone if they couldn't be jailbroken!!
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by medgirl2001
    But then someone else said their employer tracked employees by GPS signal using Verizon. That all sounds awfully intrusive, especially since cell phone companies aren't too keen on tracking lost phones with the technology available, even though they could. Do you all think that's really happening, or are these employers just trying to scare their employees?
    Nextel, and now Sprint/Nextel does it everyday. I have no idea about anyone other carriers tracking, or not tracking.

False.

False. If it is a company issued phone, anything goes!!! Luckily the whole time I had Nextel, I always kept my account in my name, and made the company cut me a reimbursment check every month

http://www.nextel.com/en/solutions/g...k_manage.shtml

http://news.zdnet.com/2422-13568_22-152787.html

I know of quite a few people who have lost their jobs because of this.
    My HoFo Feedback

Palm Centro for sale <----Photos added Price drop <--- $75 shipped

Phone
    iphone 3g
    Carrier
    Att
    Feedback Score
    it CAN be tracked.

I had an iphone stolen/lost and had a few friends who work over at Att call center gave me a heads up. Since i had the box with the serial number on it.....ATT could look up that number to obtain the isbn number.....which they can track to any users account. So..........if your phone is stolen, you can call it in, and they can track it down to the persons account to obtain number, address, names of that person.

they cant track it like a gps system though..unless an employer for example, does bug it...

now, im running on iphone #2 : )

Feedback Score
    /\ is this on the 'legit'?

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by epwookie
    it CAN be tracked.

I had an iphone stolen/lost and had a few friends who work over at Att call center gave me a heads up. Since i had the box with the serial number on it.....ATT could look up that number to obtain the isbn number.....which they can track to any users account. So..........if your phone is stolen, you can call it in, and they can track it down to the persons account to obtain number, address, names of that person.

they cant track it like a gps system though..unless an employer for example, does bug it...

If they did that for you, you were pretty lucky. People post here all the time about how AT&T won't help find a lost phone, even though in theory they should know what IMEI #s are on their system.

Phones
    White 32 gig 3Gs
    Blackberry 9700(COU)
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by epwookie
    it CAN be tracked.

Um so you had friends at a call center track an IMEI and access an account to see who was using it?

AT&T would in no way transfer that knowledge to any agency without a court order and would terminate anybody who looked up that info.

Phones
    White 32 gig 3Gs
    Blackberry 9700(COU)
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Icecold420
    Nextel, and now Sprint/Nextel does it everyday. I have no idea about anyone other carriers tracking, or not tracking.

False. If it is a company issued phone, anything goes!!! Luckily the whole time I had Nextel, I always kept my account in my name, and made the company cut me a reimbursment check every month

I know of quite a few people who have lost their jobs because of this.

I know company phones could be tracked. This isn't about a company phone. This is about a personal device.

Phones
    iPhone 3gS [32g] White
    iPhone 3g [8g] black (for sale)
    I wouldn't have an iphone if they couldn't be jailbroken!!
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I know company phones could be tracked. This isn't about a company phone. This is about a personal device.
    thats hardly obvious by the sounds of the first two posts in this thread.. but, w/e the bottom line is that it can be done, and does happen!

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Icecold420
    thats hardly obvious by the sounds of the first two posts in this thread.. but, w/e the bottom line is that it can be done, and does happen!
    But the question, I think pretty clearly stated, was can it be done with an iPhone? Yes, the iPhone has GPS, etc., but can the iPhone be set up to be tracked without the user's knowledge?

I found this link where AT&T advertises a service like what people are describing for Sprint/Nextel, but the iPhone is not listed as a supported device.

http://www.wireless.att.com/business...lenavTrack.jsp

Carriers
    T-Mobile (current)
    Verizon, Sprint (1997-2007)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by medgirl2001
    I found this link where AT&T advertises a service like what people are describing for Sprint/Nextel, but the iPhone is not listed as a supported device.

http://www.wireless.att.com/business...lenavTrack.jsp
    Assuming the iPhone was supported, the feature would need to be subscribed to on the account, and more likely than not, an app would need to be installed on the iPhone to permit it to function.

Also if I remember right, the Sprint/Nextel tracking feature sends the phone a text message to let the user know they've just been tracked.

Intrusive? Yup. Illegal? Not if it's a company owned device on a company-owned account. That's why I prefer to pay my own cell phone bill.

Left: iPhone 6+ on T-Mobile. Right: Comcast home internet connection.

Phones
    Iphone 3g
    Helio Ocean
    Carriers
    Att
    Feedback Score
    ugh...lets just end all the speculation here. YES the iphone CAN be tracked by an employer, yourself, your mom, etc etc. there are jailbreak apps that run in the background that can tell you where someone is, alert you when they are close to you, backup your phone ota if it is stolen, lock your phone if its stolen, etc etc. and you can make its impossible for the person with the phone to know unless they are very tech savvy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast