Thread: How to send/receive anonymous text messages?

Phones
    JB 32gig iPhone 4
    iPhone 3GS 32
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

How to send/receive anonymous text messages?

For a few hours last night, someone kept texting me from an anonymous number/name. Here is what the message would say on my screen

Number: 1010100010
    FRM: Anonymous
    MSG: (message)

The funny part about this whole thing was I could reply to the message and they would get it. They were saying some pretty foul stuff about a few of my friends. I was just curious how they were doing it. Obviously I will never find out who it was, but I would like to know how it was done.

If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Phone
    iPhone 4S, Samsung Captivate, MiFi 2200
    Carriers
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It is a similar number to one that my local news station uses to send me Weather alerts and such. I would imagine it belongs to some kind of "Anonymous Text" service. I think your best bet would be to Google it. It also appears that it has been used for Solicitation, so that would fit.
    Rock, Chalk!

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The message was sent from a website or an email account. AT&T stores the actual email address on its servers and sends you a reference number which increases with each message. By using the reference number, you do not lose any of your 160 characters for text message entering an actual email address. If you forward that text message to an email address you control, the header information might be forwarded also.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri
    The message was sent from a website or an email account. AT&T stores the actual email address on its servers and sends you a reference number which increases with each message. By using the reference number, you do not lose any of your 160 characters for text message entering an actual email address. If you forward that text message to an email address you control, the header information might be forwarded also.
    Ahh, so that explains why most of those services that send me text's as emails have that number. I guess I never put two and two together. Thanks!

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Squid7085
    Ahh, so that explains why most of those services that send me text's as emails have that number. I guess I never put two and two together. Thanks!
    Some, such as Yahoo or ESPN, reuse the same number. You cannot reply to those types of messages.

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri
    Some, such as Yahoo or ESPN, reuse the same number. You cannot reply to those types of messages.
    I thought it looked familiar to Yahoo for some reason! I was about to say that it was somebody using Yahoo IM too! I hate those numbers because I can't name them in my Address Book!

Feedback Score
    That number either came from an e-mail address sending to the SMS gateway or was sent using at&ts send a text from their website and you most certainly can reply.