Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What network does Cricket piggy back on?

Phones
    i880
    i670
    i425t
    Carrier
    Boost Mobile Unlimited
    Feedback Score

What network does Cricket piggy back on?

Verizon, T Mobile, etc etc. Or is cricket its own network?
    2 Brand New Phones For Sale( i425t / i670 )

Boost Mobile Unlimited
    i880

Have a problem and need customer service?
    Call 1-888-BOOST4U (1-888-266-7848)

Phones
    Unlocked iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    Sprint
    AT&T (Never Again--I will be sad if the merger is approved)
    Feedback Score
    Cricket runs and maintains their own network. They also have Unlimited roaming agreements with MetroPCS and around 16 other regional partners to provide service for their customers in additional markets.

In areas where they do not provide service, Cricket customers can roam on Verizon (with Unlimited text messaging and a variable amount of minutes) as long as they are on the appropriate rate plan. Cricket's $50 rate plan for instance gives you 30 minutes of roaming on Verizon per month. Their $60 plan offers 200 minutes of Nationwide roaming.

Most of the largest markets in the US though are well covered by the Cricket/MetroPCS combination.

Phones
    Droid X
    Droid Razr
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawawa
    Cricket runs and maintains their own network. They also have Unlimited roaming agreements with MetroPCS and around 16 other regional partners to provide service for their customers in additional markets.

In areas where they do not provide service, Cricket customers can roam on Verizon (with Unlimited text messaging and a variable amount of minutes) as long as they are on the appropriate rate plan. Cricket's $50 rate plan for instance gives you 30 minutes of roaming on Verizon per month. Their $60 plan offers 200 minutes of Nationwide roaming.

Most of the largest markets in the US though are well covered by the Cricket/MetroPCS combination.

So it is verizon,, sweetttttttt. No wonder it works everywhere.

Oh how nice it would be if verizon was reasonably priced.

Phones
    6275i
    8900 curve
    Carriers
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    um no. Cricket has several roaming partners... not just Verizon. Alltel, USC and Sprint are Crickets other major roaming partners

Phone
    Sanyo Zio
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Cricket can roam on Verizon because it's CDMA and so is Cricket. Sprint is also CDMA, AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM. Cricket can roam on MetroPCS because Leap Wireless, the company that owns Cricket, also owns MetroPCS.
    I've now got a smartphone but at least it's an Android.

Open Source for life!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kpopgrrl
    Cricket can roam on Verizon because it's CDMA and so is Cricket. Sprint is also CDMA, AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM. Cricket can roam on MetroPCS because Leap Wireless, the company that owns Cricket, also owns MetroPCS.
    I thought a couple years ago MetroPCS offered $5.9 billion for Cricket. And that Cricket turned away that MetroPCS offer. When was the buyout? And if so why don't they link networks?

Phones
    Unlocked iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    Sprint
    AT&T (Never Again--I will be sad if the merger is approved)
    Feedback Score
    Leap Wireless owns Cricket, they do not own MetroPCS. The ability to roam was brought about by a ten year agreement.

There has been no buyout, only a partnership. They remain two wholly separate companies.

Phone
    BB 9630 Tour
    Carriers
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    kpop is pretty new, leap does not own metropcs.
    -------------------------------------------
    Isriam
    Want 20GB of FREE storage? Much better than Dropbox with better software, service, and rules! +5GB for every referral you get! Click me

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawawa
    Leap Wireless owns Cricket, they do not own MetroPCS. The ability to roam was brought about by a ten year agreement.

There has been no buyout, only a partnership. They remain two wholly separate companies.
    Thats what I thought. For a second I thought I'd been doing a Rip Van Winkle.

Phone
    Sanyo Zio
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Well, this was another case of an ill informed sales rep. at a Cricket corporate store. Seriously, I wish they would keep their mouth shut sometimes. The guy said they get to roam on MetroPCS because they own them. *facepalm* Geez, can't these guys stop talking out of their butts?

Anyway, I found an article about the agreement: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...id=OTC-RSS-FW0

Phones
    Droid X
    Droid Razr
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kpopgrrl
    Well, this was another case of an ill informed sales rep. at a Cricket corporate store. Seriously, I wish they would keep their mouth shut sometimes. The guy said they get to roam on MetroPCS because they own them. *facepalm* Geez, can't these guys stop talking out of their butts?

Anyway, I found an article about the agreement: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...id=OTC-RSS-FW0
    I think he meant that they Pwn MetroPCS not that they own them .

Phone
    Sanyo Zio
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    No, he meant they bought them and they own them.

Phone
    BB 9630 Tour
    Carriers
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    you can message me kpop i'll help you

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No one is gonna own anyone at this time. They are both growing relatively well with Metro growing the fastest in the unlimited realm and Leap not far behind. Until they really feel the pressure from the other carriers, if the others start lowering the price of unlimited to get anywhere near Metro and Leap, that is when the two companies will need to look into merger possibilities again, and hopefully keep it behind closed doors (I'm looking at you, Metro!). But until then the partnership will do just fine.

Phones
    6275i
    8900 curve
    Carriers
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    needs more data roaming.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast