Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: VX8800 - how to bypass "initial programming needed"?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0

    Question VX8800 - how to bypass "initial programming needed"?

    VX8800:
    Is access via USB affected by the "Initial programming needed"? I am not a Verizon subscriber and cannot get the phone programmed.

    All drivers were installed and up-to-date; however I get "USB Device was not recognized by Windows", and, naturally, BitPim and QMAT cannot access the device (ComPort errors).

    Is there a way of accessing a filesystem on the phone?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    227
    Feedback Score
    0
    1.
    Which OS? Vista? 64 Bit?

    2.
    But the Verizon Firmware is on handset? Or Telus or I don't know what else.

    3.
    Hidden Menu:
    Press “##77647268800” + “SEND” and then, press “000000”

    4. Generally you can find Threads about VX8800 and BitPim.
    So Qualcomm Diag Port should work.
    Also QMAT, QPST should be recognized by VX8800.

    Best Regards

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by adfree
    1.Which OS? Vista? 64 Bit?
    2.But the Verizon Firmware is on handset? Or Telus or I don't know what else.
    3.Hidden Menu:
    Press “##77647268800” + “SEND” and then, press “000000”

    4. Generally you can find Threads about VX8800 and BitPim.
    So Qualcomm Diag Port should work.
    Also QMAT, QPST should be recognized by VX8800.
    Best Regards
    32-bit XP and Vista.

    I guess the problem is in "initial programming needed" - access via USB could be blocked if the phone was not activated.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    444
    Feedback Score
    0
    Highly unlikely, but please clarify which version, TELUS and VERIZON.

    And the message you get is because the drivers are incorrect or the data port on the phone is having issues. To verify if this is true, check your DEVICE MANAGER in windows, go to properties of the unknown device listed, then details tab, look at the VENDOR ID and other IDs are they zeros or HEX values? if zeros your device's port needs to be cleaned or damaged.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thank you, tonycortes.

    This is a Verizon demo phone, apparently purchased from some distributor in the US.

    The "unknown device" driver vendor is the original Microsoft, driver date 2001. If I force driver update by pointing to the LG drivers folder, nothing happens. Apparently, the phone did not send the signature (or whatever it is, a device id?) to Windows, so the driver installation looks for "Unknown device" in .inf files, but not for "LG...".

    Manual install of *.inf files using shell extension does not work either.

    I tried bluetooth during installation of Verizon Access manager, but it said that the reported device capabilities do not include "dial-up", just file transfer, image transfer and object push. I think, for COM port the bluetooth device (a phone) has to report a dial-up capability but I am not sure.

    I tried this on 4 PCs now (3 XP Pro, 1 Vista, all 32-bit) with exactly the same result.

    I do not know how to verify driver installation. On my notebook I see my own Sony-Ericsson on modems list, but I have never seen any of LG devices listed after installation of LG drivers.

    Of course, there is a possibility that particular "demo" model has been bricked, but not completely.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    444
    Feedback Score
    0
    So are you saying the values were zeros? If this is not a retail product (demo), it's possible the USB connection was disabled for security reasons. You may need to access service menu if possible or JTAG internal interface

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycortes
    So are you saying the values were zeros? If this is not a retail product (demo), it's possible the USB connection was disabled for security reasons. You may need to access service menu if possible or JTAG internal interface
    Yes, I think that all external connections were disabled in this "demo" unit. Service menu suggested by adfree did not help - there was nothing in there that could possibly change the access mode via USB or Bluetooth.

    Anyway, after running out of ideas I have passed this unit to a teardown process and flash memory dump. There are two flash memory chips and I am curious to see what is in the second flash memory chip which does not contain AMSS (Advanced Mobile Subsrciber Software) accessible by QMAT and BitPim.

Bookmarks