Thread: Use TM506 buit-in GPS as an external GPS for your computer?

Feedback Score

Use TM506 buit-in GPS as an external GPS for your computer?

Has anyone tried that? Can TM506 GPS be used as external bluetooth GPS?

Thanks

Device(s)
    Wing
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Can someone please respond if you know?

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    yes you can, but its not quite as easy as its built in bluetooth capabilities. Downloaded symarctivs ExtGPS application from http://www.symarctic.com/beta/static...xtgps_download and run it. While it is running, it will maintain the new gps service that gps software requires and interface the built in gps with it. Because it is an app, you cant do anything else with the phone while it is active.

Device(s)
    TM506
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    awesome info jeffmd! Not that I need this, but I'm going to try it. And if it works, I will then try making a call to my cell and see how it reacts.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1 - rooted, running Complete Eclair
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmd
    Because it is an app, you cant do anything else with the phone while it is active.
    FYI, you can hit the red "end call" button while an app is running and then select minimize. Then you can run leave the app running in the background and do whatever else you want on the phone.

Device(s)
    ipaq hw6515, SE TM506
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmd
    yes you can, but its not quite as easy as its built in bluetooth capabilities. Downloaded symarctivs ExtGPS application from http://www.symarctic.com/beta/static...xtgps_download and run it. While it is running, it will maintain the new gps service that gps software requires and interface the built in gps with it. Because it is an app, you cant do anything else with the phone while it is active.

Did you actually get this to work on the 506? I've been playing with it for some time on my debranded 506, and while I get the GPS lock, and BT connection working, I never get the actual lat/long data coming over the link. There's also a bit on Symarctic's website about SE for what reason not allowing that information over the serial link.

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    There is no option for the tm506, just Nokia's and samsungs. What phone did you choose? Did you download it directly from your phone's browser, or to your computer first then transfer it to your phone?
    Speeds from my HTC Sensation The last one is Roadrunner-Way to impress, Time Warner

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    double post

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Got it to load on my phone, but as Urbex said, The lat and long locations won't transmit even though the bluetooth and GPS connections are working, Anyone get this working? I can get google maps on my pocket pc to see my phone along with the extgps serial connection, even through the GPS software on my pocket pc i can see a satalite lock, but again on lat/long and can't get a location.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I got it to work on my laptop a while ago but I don't remember which package. It was mearly a test because my main target, connecting the gps to my ipod, wouldn't work. Saddly the phone app doesn't support some encrypted data send mode that software can optionally use and that was what was required of the ipod/iphone applications so everything was a bust.