Thread: Crackling voice calls, can't hear other person

Phone
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Crackling voice calls, can't hear other person

Symptoms of issue:

• I can hear their self talk in the ear piece.
    • The phone won't ring on my end but the receiving end will ring.
    • AFTER the person picks up the receiving phone the timer will start on my iphone showing I am connected. I can't hear them and they can't hear me.
    • Same issue with receiving a call on my end if the problem is happening, my phone will ring but when I pick it up I can't hear anything or they can't hear me.

Tell-tail I know the person won't be able to hear me or me be able to hear them if I can hear my self on the ear piece.

I have between 2bars and 5 bars so I know I am getting coverage. If I am talking on the phone and I go in certain areas HAVING FULL COVERAGE it will just drop the voice, I can start hearing myself in the ear piece and I won’t be able to hear the other person and they can’t hear me. It is like clock work on this one road. I can be on the phone it will start doing the problem, if I turn around and go in the direction I just come from it will pick back (again FULL COVERAGE).
    I know it isn’t my phone as my other phone does the same thing (switched SIM cards out). I also know 3 other people that it does the SAME EXACT THING. They both have ATT. Also on another note SMS and data work correctly when this is happening, it just affects voice calls.
    I have called ATT 5-6 times. They got me to replace my sim card twice and have given me the run around every single time. I get the whole “Oh we show no problems in that area” or “oh it is just bad reception”. I explain to them that I have between 3-5 bars and the same thing happens. One guy said he needed to talk to his supervisor and was going to put me on hold, 45 minutes later I hung up as he never come back.
    Can anyone give me some advice on getting the problem handled; I don’t know what else to do.

Phones
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Nokia N79, e71, e62, 6555, 6126, 6030, 2610
    Moto V3XX, c168, V710
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Ex-Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Well, you need to be forcefull with CS, and make it clear that the problem is unusual, and has nothing to do with the phone or sim card. The idea here is to make it clear to them that it is a problem with the cell sites.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Phones
    BB Torch
    Blackberry Torch
    Nokia 6102
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Where are you? In order to get this problem reported correctly, you need to talk to tech support. Is the trouble only in a specific area, is it every where?, does it happen on all calls?, or just calls to a specific number? Have you tried another device?, Is your iPhone on most current release?

The problem you describe, sounds like there is a loop in some backhaul or somewhere in the network.

If this is only happening in a specific area, then you might also stop by an AT&T corp store, and ask if they can file a network report.

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    ^ Is there still a requirement that they need several people complaining to file a trouble ticket? There used to be.

Having to call CS has always seemed crazy to me. They are marketing wireless that implies "not home", even worse it doesn't work in doors, and can't call because the network is impaired. Trouble tickets need to be taken by the network itself.
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Carrier
    U.S.: Verizon, T-Mobile USA; CH: Sunrise; D: Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    It sounds like there are either serious capacity issues going on or the network is simply poorly set up.
    The fake ringing is a common occurrence in my area as well. It rings on the callers party's end, but the actual at&t phone never rings. I have not experienced fake ring tones on any other GSM network world wide, nor did I think this was possible on GSM, but at&t has managed to invent it ( there are several threads about this, some even have voice clips attached where the fake rings sounds slightly distorted from the real ring).

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy84094
    It sounds like there are either serious capacity issues going on or the network is simply poorly set up.
    The fake ringing is a common occurrence in my area as well. It rings on the callers party's end, but the actual at&t phone never rings. I have not experienced fake ring tones on any other GSM network world wide, nor did I think this was possible on GSM, but at&t has managed to invent it ( there are several threads about this, some even have voice clips attached where the fake rings sounds slightly distorted from the real ring).
    I think the fake ringing is because the ring you hear is a local recording.

Phone
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by groundhog5886
    Where are you? In order to get this problem reported correctly, you need to talk to tech support. Is the trouble only in a specific area, is it every where?, does it happen on all calls?, or just calls to a specific number? Have you tried another device?, Is your iPhone on most current release?

The problem you describe, sounds like there is a loop in some backhaul or somewhere in the network.

If this is only happening in a specific area, then you might also stop by an AT&T corp store, and ask if they can file a network report.
    Thanks for the info.

The issue where I can be talking and I start being able to hear my self is when I am coming home from school.

If you type this into google maps

+32° 34' 39.01", -85° 31' 28.20" (32.577503, -85.524500)

32°34'28.48"N 85°31'36.68"W

That is an area where it starts to happen it will continue on for another mile or 2. Then I will be able to make a call again. I have not let anyone hang on the phone to see if I can come out the other end (driving south bound) of the problem area to see if it picks right back. But I know if I turn around and start heading towards campus (north on that map) it will stop.

Another area is when I am driving home:

When I am driving home from work it starts doing the same thing until I go inside of my house. When I am outside of my house I have between 4-5 bars outside. I have driven around the park to see if I can make a call one I know it is having the issue. I was never able to get it to stop by driving around the park (I live in a mobile home park). Once I went inside of my house it stopped about 10 min later and I was able to make a call (I have 4-5 bars outside of the house, 2-3 inside). After I go inside and I know the problem has stopped I have gone outside and driven around the park to see if the problem would crop up but it never did. If you go to google maps and put in the start location and the area I live in as the destination and you drive that route 10/10 times the problem occur. I have yet to come home and been able to make a phone call until I go inside of my house.

Start location:
    32°36'14.82"N
    85°35'47.93"W

Area I live in:
    32°35'27.15"N
    85°34'1.47"W

Phone
    Nexus 4, iP5S, GS4...
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've started experiencing similar issues around here lately.. Not as severe, but occasional garbling where it normally was land-line quality...
    My World Phone dot com is a VERY SHADY seller. Click here for details

My Toys: '10 M5 : '12 Blown LS7 : iP5S : GS4 : Nexus N4 : N95-4 : E71-2 [Sold]

Phone
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I wish I could hear someone period. I can't even hear anyone at all nor can they hear me.

Phones
    iPhone 3G on T-Mo
    Curve 8900 - 5.0.0.592
    Nokia 1208 - backup
    Carriers
    Magenta FTW/
    Feedback Score
    CA, I agree with you. I always love "please call us back from another phone". Another phone? You convinced me to get rid of my home phone. And I can't call from the office because..........................you guessed it, I don't have cell service indoors at my office.

To the OP, does this occur at specific times of the day or no matter what? I just wonder about the codec/signal/cell tower issue and if you are getting downgraded as you are passed from tower-to-tower.
    Chicken Slut

'It's rich drunk, it's kinda like business drunk. Either way it's legal to drive' - Jack Donaghy

Phone
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It doesn't matter what time of day I drive through the area it is just when I do drive through the area.

Phones
    BB Torch
    Blackberry Torch
    Nokia 6102
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You need to call back to customer service, and talk to someone in tech support. Explain that you are getting looped audio every time you go thru that area, and ask if they would please open a ticket to network. Be sure to be able to give them a cross street/road where you have the problem. If they go off into the re-boot the phone, or do something with the SIM, explain that has already been done.

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by groundhog5886
    You need to call back to customer service, and talk to someone in tech support. Explain that you are getting looped audio every time you go thru that area, and ask if they would please open a ticket to network. Be sure to be able to give them a cross street/road where you have the problem. If they go off into the re-boot the phone, or do something with the SIM, explain that has already been done.
    Ever try that?