Thread: Is there any way around Verizon data plan with any smartphone?

Feedback Score

Thumbs down Is there any way around Verizon data plan with any smartphone?

I do not want and cannot afford the data plan. I just want the smart phone like a Moto Q or a Dare or something.. is there a way out of this stupid data plan?!

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    Blackberry Tour
    Samsung Omnia
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The Dare isn't a smartphone. That said, unless you go with some of the older models of smartphone, prior to Nov. 14 2008, I believe, you will be getting a data plan for one.

There is always the alternative.

Feedback Score
    do you know which models of smart phones are older that I would not have to get a data plan?

Phones
    Verizon iPhone
    Motorola Droid X (retired)
    Motorola Droid (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I think right now the Omnia, Saga and the TP are the only phones that require a data plan. If you want a Dare you can get one with no plan. It's not a smartphone.

Phone
    Samsung Omnia
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had an older treo with no data plan.

Phones
    Iphone 3g
    TP Demolition ROM 6.5.1 retired
    6.5 Omnia w/ GPS retired
    Carriers
    AT & T
    Feedback Score
    htc touch (xv6900), xv6800, motorola q9m, Q i760, all of the phones before the date then es you can get it without the data you can put a block but you will not be able to receive or send pictures. also if you get the i760, or the xv6800 and live in a wifi prominent area you can use that to surf online. but if you pay as you go, it can get expensive

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    as long as it is an older pda, then you can get it without the data plan. Regarding the newer phones, the system will auto-add the data plan so there is zero way around it for phones that require a plan.
    No longer a VZW employee, but still a good information source.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    CanAM:
    With all that money you save monthly with your Sprint plan, you should be able to order Hooked On Phonics - remember, the phone number to order this is 1-800-ABCDEFG.

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Well, just to be clear, all smartphones require a data plan/feature. All that changed was the elimination of the "pay as you go" data plan/feature as a choice for the newer smartphones.

Back to the OP's question, several people have reported to have purchased a Sprint branded Touch Pro, and activated it on VZW w/o any data plans/features being required. Apparently, VZW will accept (activate) the ESN of a Sprint Touch Pro, but not know it is a smartphone. Since it doesn't know it is a smartphone, it doesn't enforce the data plan/feature requirement.

Phones
    Barrage
    MAXX Ve
    E815
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soccertre8
    I do not want and cannot afford the data plan. I just want the smart phone like a Moto Q or a Dare or something.. is there a way out of this stupid data plan?!
    I'm not trying to sound like a db, but you couldn't find this answer in any of the dozens of threads that have been about this exact same subject? Seriously?