Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Motorola Droid (backup)
    Motorola e815 (back in the day)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Question Best cheap basic phone for senior citizens

My 70ish year-old grandmother and great aunt are planning on switching from AT&T to Verizon and are looking for phone recommendations. They use their phones solely as phones...no texting, photos, etc. Their only criteria are:

-good reception/call quality
    -large enough screen to see
    -large enough keypad buttons to press (my great aunt has pretty bad hand arthritis)
    -decent battery life is a plus (they turn their phones off a lot of the time)
    -decent speaker also a plus

A sales associate recommended the Samsung Knack, saying that it was designed with seniors in mind. Any thoughts on that phone? Any other recs?

Thanks!

Phones
    iPhone 4
    Droid Incredible
    Samsung 4G LC11
    Carrier
    Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint Nextel
    Feedback Score
    The Knack is great phone and includes a desktop dock for easy charging. The screen is large and bright and constantly shows the caller's phone number. They keypad is huge, the menus are a little awkward to navigate, but all in all, it's great. $40 on contract with no MIR required.
    Verizon Wireless - More bars in more places on the now network.
    Every time you ask whether you can use a VZW smartphone without a data plan, God kills a kitten.
    And by God, I mean me - and by kitten, I mean many kittens. So many kittens.

Mobile Phone History by Carrier - on Pastebin

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Motorola Droid (backup)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsilence
    The Knack is great phone and includes a desktop dock for easy charging. The screen is large and bright and constantly shows the caller's phone number. They keypad is huge, the menus are a little awkward to navigate, but all in all, it's great. $40 on contract with no MIR required.
    Thanks for the info! How is it in terms of reception? Phone Arena seems to say it's not so great...

Phones
    LG Clout vx8370;
    Samsung u370; Casio Ravine 2
    ;; broken: LG VX8700 (blank screen) and Motorola E815 (broken hinge)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    In my opinion, the LG VX5500 has an outstanding keypad -- large comfortable keys. This phone's keypad in the store impressed me the most out of all the Verizon phones.

Also, the menu gives you an option to adjust/increase the menu font size.

On this forum I can't find any complaints about this phone. But the phone has had some mixed reviews on cnet and phonescoop mostly in regard to the battery life. But in a worst case scenario a problem with the battery life probably wouldn't be an issue for your grandmother since the phone wouldn't be on 24/7.

The phone's dimenions are a little small .. but I have large hands.

customer comments about the VX5500 :

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/use...php?phone=1722

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/...-33384662.html
    (1) "Tutorial: Making Album Art Work (Most LG phones)" (link)
    (2) "MP3's ! They are RINGTONES / A Quick howto using Audacity" (link)

Phone
    Iphone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I would go with a chocolate 3. Great phone, great reception, easy to use.

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Motorola Droid (backup)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks guys - I'll definitely look into those. Regarding the chocolate, it may be a little too intimidating for them with all the "bells and whistles," but who knows - they may love it! Right now they have little Samsung flip phones from AT&T that don't even have outside displays (don't know the model number, but it's the equivalent of Verizon's old SCH-a650, which I had back in the day).

Phones
    LG Clout vx8370;
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbmed08
    Thanks guys - I'll definitely look into those. Regarding the chocolate, it may be a little too intimidating for them with all the "bells and whistles," but who knows - they may love it!
    That wheel on the chocolate 3 could be an advantage for your grandmother for the following reason: In the case of my Motorola E815, the easy access to features is the reason that I use certain features all the time. My impression of the standardized Verizon is that certain features, in my opinion, are buried under too many layers of menus; but the chocolate 3's outside wheel might make the camera, the pictures and the text messages easier to access -- and if those features are easier to access without having to go through layers of menus, then your grandmother might find herself having fun using the camera to capture the things going on right now in her life.

Carriers
    Verizon (now)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Chocolate 3 is way too complicated to be a basic phone. The fewer buttons, the better. The 5500 is decent, but not great.

My vote would be for the Motorola Vu204 or W755. Both have outstanding build quality and reception.
    A phone is only fun when you can modify it anyway you please.

The Verizon UI....unhackable? I think not

Phones
    LG Clout vx8370;
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyinLACA
    The Chocolate 3 is way too complicated to be a basic phone. The fewer buttons, the better. The 5500 is decent, but not great.

My vote would be for the Motorola Vu204 or W755. Both have outstanding build quality and reception.
    I've seen others recommend and be pleased with the Vu204, so maybe I had an a-typical reaction or maybe I was having an off day. But when I was checking it out in the Verizon store, the design of the phone and the hinge was such that I was distracted while I was holding it against my face because the hinge was sticking too far out and pushing into my face. I don't recall other models of phones being like that.

Phones
    Now: (2) Droid2G, Samsung Zeal|Past: Motorola VU30, e815, v276pp, v265, 120c, MicroTAC; Samsung
    SCH-a870, SCH-a650, SCH-411; Nokia 3589|POS: LG Voyager, VX8500; Audiovox CDM8600
    Carrier
    Airtouch ;)
    Feedback Score
    -good reception/call quality
    -large enough screen to see
    -large enough keypad buttons to press (my great aunt has pretty bad hand arthritis)
    -decent battery life is a plus (they turn their phones off a lot of the time)
    -decent speaker also a plus

Moto vu204, LG 5500. Moto has better reception; LG may have a better keyboard layout for seniors. Otherwise, pretty comparable. Both free with contract.
    Tom

"Fundamentally, there are only two ways of coordinating the economic activities of millions. One is central direction involving the use of coercion - the technique of the army and of the modern totalitarian state. The other is voluntary cooperation of individuals - the technique of the marketplace."
    -- Milton Friedman

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Motorola Droid (backup)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone! I'm recommending the 5500 and vu204 for them, and they'll choose based on form factor and such. Personally I think the Moto is kind of ugly, so I'd get the LG if I were buying for them. I agree that it would be nice to have a camera if they can learn how to use it, so I'll recommend those over the Samsung.

Phones
    motorola moto x
    motorola moto X
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbmed08
    Thanks everyone! I'm recommending the 5500 and vu204 for them, and they'll choose based on form factor and such. Personally I think the Moto is kind of ugly, so I'd get the LG if I were buying for them. I agree that it would be nice to have a camera if they can learn how to use it, so I'll recommend those over the Samsung.
    Ill tell you what, the vu204 may be ugly to some but it has excellent signal and call quality.
    The LG in my opinion has too much high frequency sound out of the earpiece, which makes it hard to understand some people.
    The 204 has been outstanding in the earpiece quality.
    But it is up to each person what they like or dont like.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    i would say recommend the w755 over the vu204
    My Feedback!
    1000 posts on July 4th 2007 at 3:06am est

Phones
    motorola moto x
    motorola moto X
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopeke
    i would say recommend the w755 over the vu204
    Why?

Im sure the 204 has just as good of call quality and signal as the 755.
    They want simple, they dont need expanded memory, mp3 ability or any of the other bells and whistles.

Phones
    Samsung SCHu350
    Samsung SCHa950
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Anyone know if the Knack has a one-piece battery, or is there a separate cover - I can't tell from the pics I've found? Even before my mother's vision recently took a serious turn for the worse, trying to pry the battery out of your typical Motorola would've driven her (and then me when I got her phone call) totally nuts.
    Last edited by MikeG~; 03-30-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast