Phones
    Nokia 6650 Fold
    Sony Ericsson Z750
    LG CU400
    Carrier
    AT&T Orange
    Feedback Score

Flip phones vs. candybar phones in the U.S. and Europe

We all know that in the U.S., flip phones seem to dominate the market. There are a few exceptions, such as the iPhone and some BlackBerry models, however, it seems that the majority of Americans prefer flip phones.

However, in Europe, it seems that candybar style phones are more popular, hence why most of Nokia's signature models are candybar style. That is why Nokia has lost so much market share in the U.S. after flip phones started to become more price competitive around 2002.

If you have ever noticed, no carrier has sold a non-QWERTY candybar style S60 smartphone in the U.S. since the 6682. Nokia's past two non-QWERTY S60 smartphones carried by AT&T (the N75 and the 6650 Fold) are both flip phones.

So, is there any reason why Americans generally prefer flip phones while Europeans prefer candybars?
    My phone history:
    Nokia 3620 (2005-2008)
    Nokia N75 (2008-2009)
    Nokia 6650 Fold (2009-future)

Phones
    Motorola RAZR V3(Grey) , Motorola RAZR V3(Blue), Moto Cliq, Nokia 6030,Motorola C139,Motorola i305
    Palm Treo 600 Motorola M800 Bag Phone Nokia 3390b, SonyEricsson Z300a
    Kyocera 6035/Globalstar Qualcomm GSP-1600
    Carriers
    T-Mobile(Post),ATT, T-Mobile(Post)-internet device, Boost
    PagePlus/Globalstar-PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    We never figured out hold to lock the keypad on a candybar phone. I wold dial two different members of my Reserve unit using my i305 because I didn't lock the keypad. I learned to lock. Flip/Clamshell phone open/close with ease no buttons to press to lock/unlock phone.

I've always been a candybar phone person.

Phones
    HTC Hero (Sprint)
    HTC Hero (Sprint)
    Carrier
    Cricket,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Part of it I think why folks see smoking or holding a cigarette in a disco and think it's cool. Why? Media/culture. Most movies and tv program have folks using a flip-phone. There is a coolness factor to it.

[/url]

Phones
    Nokia 6650 Fold
    Sony Ericsson Z750
    LG CU400
    Carrier
    AT&T Orange
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chapulincolorad
    Part of it I think why folks see smoking or holding a cigarette in a disco and think it's cool. Why? Media/culture. Most movies and tv program have folks using a flip-phone. There is a coolness factor to it.
    As far as I know though, in Europe, candybars still dominate. Europe usually has much better phones than the U.S, as they lead the way in wireless advancements.

I know that in the late 1990s and early 2000s, those bricklike Nokia 51xx phones with the external antennas were quite popular due to their low price compared to most flip phones at the time. However, flip phones started to become more affordable afterward, and because of that, the U.S. market quickly shifted in favor of flip phones.

Phones
    903SH
    920SH
    SE Z550a
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Globe
    Feedback Score
    Really..? I think Flip-phones are more popular in the asian market actually..With north america and europe favouring candybar phones..This is just from what i've observed lol.
    Most of my friends have said that they prefer having a smaller or candybar-shaped phone, or a slider..I'm the only person i know that has gone out of their way to get a japanese style flip phone, and i always get comments that say its wayy too big, etc. lol

Phones
    Nokia 6650 Fold
    Sony Ericsson Z750
    LG CU400
    Carrier
    AT&T Orange
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kisske
    Really..? I think Flip-phones are more popular in the asian market actually..With north america and europe favouring candybar phones..This is just from what i've observed lol.
    Most of my friends have said that they prefer having a smaller or candybar-shaped phone, or a slider..I'm the only person i know that has gone out of their way to get a japanese style flip phone, and i always get comments that say its wayy too big, etc. lol
    Well, if you ever wondered why Nokia lost so much market share in the U.S. after 2002, it was because Nokia was pushing the candybar form factor while other manufacturers (including Motorola, Samsung, and LG) have already standardized on flip phones. If you ever look at the models offered by most U.S. carriers (especially CDMA carriers), you will see that the flip phones dominate the models offered.

Phones
    Nokia 6230b (5.50 with Chinese)
    903sh, p905i, sh-06a, sh9010c,f906i
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Jazz
    Well, if you ever wondered why Nokia lost so much market share in the U.S. after 2002, it was because Nokia was pushing the candybar form factor while other manufacturers (including Motorola, Samsung, and LG) have already standardized on flip phones. If you ever look at the models offered by most U.S. carriers (especially CDMA carriers), you will see that the flip phones dominate the models offered.
    but I think that has shifted back to candy bar qwerty, touch screen and slider phones in the US within the last few years, seeing how blackberries, iphones are popular in the US now

Phones
    TMO G2 (using). TMO G1 (given away), NEC N906i (sold), Sharp 9130C (sold), HTC Hermes (sold)
    Blackberry Curve 8300 (sold),Nokia N95-4 (Traded)
    Sprint m520 (sold), iphone 2g (sold)
    Carrier
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    In my opinion, I prefer a flip phone, it protects the screen among other things, but I've never owned a flip phone before (well I do have one but don't use it) because flip phone usually lack the features I demand (Japanese phones offer it to be an extent but lack usability in the states) so I'm using a candybar phone (Blackberry) because it has the features I want.

Feedback Score
    I like candbar, I love my N95, and will probably wait till LTE comes to get my next phone.

Carriers
    US: T-Mobile, AT&T; CA: Rogers, Bell
    Global: Tru, eKit, Mobal, Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    I personally prefer standard candybar (not even sliders - I had a call automatically answer on my N95-3 in my pocket due to the slider moving - whilst roaming internationally!).

Clamshells seem to have had problems with me due to all of them I used hanging up when I close it (I like having the phone in my pocket still running with my headset being used).

Phones
    Nokia 6230b (5.50 with Chinese)
    903sh, p905i, sh-06a, sh9010c,f906i
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    most of mine I've been been alble to turn off hang up when close

Phones
    Nokia N900, Nexus One
    Apple iphone 3gs
    Nokia 1208, 3120 Classic
    Carriers
    Wind, Three, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think the trend in North America, is now moving away from flip and going towards candybar smartphones and sliders.

So Nokia now has a chance to get market share.

I personally dont like flips, I think candybar / sliders are much better,
    You always see the big screen, you can put it on speakerphone and throw it on a desk, they are much nicer to text with.

The only advantage to flip, is that you know when u close the flip, you can not accidently make a outbound call, with a candybar or slider you often have to make sure the keypad lock has gone on.

Carriers
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    Based on my travels, the US is the only country that I am aware of that flip phones dominate. In Europe, Africa, the Caribbean candy bar phones dominate big time it's not even comparable.

Phones
    Nokia 6650 Fold
    Sony Ericsson Z750
    LG CU400
    Carrier
    AT&T Orange
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcamp
    Based on my travels, the US is the only country that I am aware of that flip phones dominate. In Europe, Africa, the Caribbean candy bar phones dominate big time it's not even comparable.
    Actually, I heard that clamshells dominate in Japan. I think they may also dominate in Canada.

Feedback Score

Smile Flip phones vs. candybar phones in the U.S. and Europe

It is true that flip phones have always dominated in the US market but now they are moving more towards sliders.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast