Thread: Non-expiring prepaid?

Phones
    BlackBerry Bold
    HTC 8525
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Non-expiring prepaid?

I'm looking for a non-expiring prepaid phone. I want to keep it in an emergency kit in my truck and would prefer if I didn't have to call in every few months to activate.

1. Purchase
    2. Forget about it
    3. EMERGENCY!
    4. Phone works

I realize that for an emergency kit I shouldn't just forget about it but rather check on it occasionally to make sure everything is good. So if I end up having to reactivate every now and then, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I really would prefer not to though.

Any suggestions?

Phone
    LG C2000
    Feedback Score
    Look at the thread for O2Wireless. $5 for a sim to use in your phone comes with 90 days of 50 minutes, then $10 every 90 days.

Or just keep a phone without service, can always call 911 in an emergency.

Phone
    Dunno... changes every week.
    Feedback Score
    http://www.mobal.com/gsm/sim.asp might work, it's normally for roaming as the minutes are expensive, but the thing doesn't expire. If your just going to dial 911 then grab an old phone without service, it'll still dial 911.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreBSD
    http://www.mobal.com/gsm/sim.asp might work, it's normally for roaming as the minutes are expensive, but the thing doesn't expire. If your just going to dial 911 then grab an old phone without service, it'll still dial 911.

At $1.75 a minute, I would hope you never have to use it here in the USA. For $10 every three months you get a 10cpm rate on Boost! I think it would be worth keeping track of an expiry rather than pay that obscene rate for "Do we need milk and eggs?" type of calls.

Phones
    HTC Magic
    HTC Fuze
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't really advocate anyone doing tracfone, but they do have a $100 card that's good for a year.
    Ever wonder if people know they're stupid?

Rogers Magic on AT&T 3G

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I think that T-Mobile Prepaid would be a good choice... after you've spent $100 in your account, all subsequent purchases will expiry in 1 year.

1st year: $100
    2nd year: $10
    3rd year: $10

The only thing is that you can't really forget about it since you will have to put the specified amounts into your account before the 1 year expiry date. Just set a reminder on your phone (or computer) to purchase airtime before the expiry date. This is what I do with my prepaid SIMs.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Fido (monthly): ZTE WF720 Wireless Home Phone

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10 <- CANCELLED over Dispute

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or LG Nexus-4

Bell (tablet plan): LG Nexus-4

My Tech Blog

Phone
    Samsung t409, Samsung Gravity TXT, and Nokia Lumia 710
    Carrier
    T-Mobile GSM/3G/4G/UMA (voice/text/data)
    Feedback Score
    /\/\

I agree that T-Mobile would probably be a good choice for you.
    T-Mobile. Connecting you when you need it most... disconnecting you when you need to connect with God's beautiful creation! Service is great in cities and highways, but in rural areas they leave you with just your surroundings. I encourage you to get T-Mobile, disconnect for a while!

I am glad that God is not like cell phone coverage. He does not hide behind mountains or loose us down long windy roads. The Lord levels mountains, and He makes our paths straight!

Phone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127
    At $1.75 a minute, I would hope you never have to use it here in the USA. For $10 every three months you get a 10cpm rate on Boost! I think it would be worth keeping track of an expiry rather than pay that obscene rate for "Do we need milk and eggs?" type of calls.
    I'm fairly sure the OP doesn't think an emergency kit in his truck is for "Do we need milk and eggs?". (And I'll say if not having milk and eggs is an emergency in your life then you got it good) A truck's emergency kit is for things like "Sh*t we just fell of a cliff" or "We broke down on the side of a dark road, send help!".

So the rates might be insane, but at least he won't be sitting there without reception. The rates are that high because it's basically always roaming on whatever network has coverage.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreBSD
    This is interesting. It allows unlimited incoming texts?

Does it give you a international #? or can you get a US #?
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mdehoogh
    I'm looking for a non-expiring prepaid phone. I want to keep it in an emergency kit in my truck and would prefer if I didn't have to call in every few months to activate.
    Another possibility is the "American Roaming Network." You can make calls (but not receive them) with an unregistered cell phone. Go to their web page to see how it works. If all you do is copy the instructions and tuck them into the glovebox - it costs something like $5 for the first minute and $1 minute thereafter. If you buy a "calling card" from them it's as cheap as 25-cents a minute! The "calling cards" last for 2-years IIRC.
    Regards

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mdehoogh

1. Purchase
    2. Forget about it
    3. EMERGENCY!
    4. Phone works

I realize that for an emergency kit I shouldn't just forget about it but rather check on it occasionally to make sure everything is good. So if I end up having to reactivate every now and then, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I really would prefer not to though.

Any suggestions?
    Does not exist. All prepaids require that you either a) add time before a certain date to keep the account active or b) make a call over a certain period. I know of no prepaid anywhere in the world that does not require you to do something. Several prepaids have yearly expiration if you buy $100 worth of time. Some such as T-Mobile will let you extend expiration another 365 days by only adding $10 per year (after you've gotten to the $100 level.) There's no prepaid that I know of that you do not have to do something. Also, you can't just carry around a cellphone in your car without periodically charging it. It may not work for you if you don't check it periodically.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    If you buy a $10 card its $1 a minute but each $10 card after that its 25 cents a minute. Lasts for a year.

The next least expensive (for total cost not cost per minute) 1 year card I know of is Airvoice's cdma product for $50 you get something like 540 minutes after fees are figured in.

http://www.americanroaming.com/retail_buy.php

Purchase Your American Roaming Prepaid Collect Account Now!
    120 minutes for $30.00
    $0.25 per minute

60 minutes for $20.00
    $0.33 per minute

10 minutes for $10.00
    $1.00 per minute

Remember, If you "do not" hear the ARN welcome prompt on your mobile phone you "will not" be able to use the service.
    No refunds or call credits.
    Fraudulent purchases or illegal calling activities will result in cancellation, call blocking and will be reported to the authorities.
    Use for outbound only long distance service to anywhere in the U.S. and Canada.
    No Monthly Fees.
    Calls Are Billed In One Minute Increments.
    Accounts Expire One Year After Date of Purchase.

RECHARGES RECEIVE THE LOWEST RATE OF $0.25 PER MINUTE REGARDLESS OF THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE PRICE.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    What would be an example of illegal calling activities or call blocking ?

Phones
    BlackBerry Bold
    HTC 8525
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Telekom
    Does not exist. All prepaids require that you either a) add time before a certain date to keep the account active or b) make a call over a certain period. I know of no prepaid anywhere in the world that does not require you to do something. Several prepaids have yearly expiration if you buy $100 worth of time. Some such as T-Mobile will let you extend expiration another 365 days by only adding $10 per year (after you've gotten to the $100 level.) There's no prepaid that I know of that you do not have to do something. Also, you can't just carry around a cellphone in your car without periodically charging it. It may not work for you if you don't check it periodically.

That's kind of what I figured. I have a BlackBerry as my main line and I have an old Sony W600 that I leave in my truck and charge occasionally. If something were to go wrong with my BB, I can (in theory) just swap the SIM card. However, that doesn't do much good if I LOSE my BB or something happens to the SIM. Basically I was just looking for a cheap working spare SIM card I could use in it.

I suppose if I could make a duplicate copy of my current SIM card, that would work. Anyone know if that's possible? They would never be in use at the same time...

Phone
    Feedback Score
    How about calling ATT and telling them something happened to your SIM right now? Just say your phone has trouble reading it or something. Then you have an extra with the same account information, probably going to charge you a few bucks to send out a replacement but it should be cheaper than finding a SIM duplicator that does more than copy your contacts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast