Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Samsung 301g now on TracFone Website!

Carrier
    H2O, Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Voicemail Problem...

Somehow I managed to never check out the voicemail feature over the last few days. But today I finally did and I discovered a problem. (Oops!)

Now, I don't know if this is actually a problem with the phone itself or if something just went wrong during the activation process. I'll have to contact TF and see if they can resolve it. (I hope! I really like the phone otherwise.)

Anyway, you know how the #1 key is usually dedicated to checking voicemail? Well, on my t301g for whatever reason the phone number for dialing the voicemail account box didn't get programmed into the phone (during the activation process, I presume?). What is worse, is that *unlike my previous phone* the t301g won't let me manually add the phone number. It's frustrating because I can see where it should go, and it just says "empty". I've tried changing it both within the "voice mail setup" section within the "messages" and also within the "speed dial" section. But neither one let's me assign the proper phone number to access voice mail, which is unfortunate because I already know what number I would need to assign. In fact, when I called that number (just by dialing like I normally would do most any other number), I was able to successfully listen to my voicemails. So I've got a work-a-round, as a last resort. But I really hope TF can fix it for me.

Do y'all think I should just start with the regular Tracfone customer service number? I remember reading somewhere that it is often best to call during the daytime, too. Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    SAME HERE SAME HERE, I was just playing with the phone as I got it today and My #1 is not my voicemail either and it won't let me program it either. Do you have a red letter G at the top in the middle???? does anyone know what this is for???

I don't like the browser button as I hit it on accident, wish it could be reprogrammed. other than that I'm likeing it so far~~

Quote Originally Posted by Rob3235
    Somehow I managed to never check out the voicemail feature over the last few days. But today I finally did and I discovered a problem. (Oops!)

Now, I don't know if this is actually a problem with the phone itself or if something just went wrong during the activation process. I'll have to contact TF and see if they can resolve it. (I hope! I really like the phone otherwise.)

Anyway, you know how the #1 key is usually dedicated to checking voicemail? Well, on my t301g for whatever reason the phone number for dialing the voicemail account box didn't get programmed into the phone (during the activation process, I presume?). What is worse, is that *unlike my previous phone* the t301g won't let me manually add the phone number. It's frustrating because I can see where it should go, and it just says "empty". I've tried changing it both within the "voice mail setup" section within the "messages" and also within the "speed dial" section. But neither one let's me assign the proper phone number to access voice mail, which is unfortunate because I already know what number I would need to assign. In fact, when I called that number (just by dialing like I normally would do most any other number), I was able to successfully listen to my voicemails. So I've got a work-a-round, as a last resort. But I really hope TF can fix it for me.

Do y'all think I should just start with the regular Tracfone customer service number? I remember reading somewhere that it is often best to call during the daytime, too. Any suggestions?

Phone
    LG840G
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I've read different things about the g icon. Some say it has to do with the browser, some say it has to do with the signal you're receiving (GSM).

Feedback Score
    maybe it's the browser because I've only used at&t on my motorola, and the lg600 I was just using and another one I don't remember and never had a strange icon that wasn't specifically listed under something. TY

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    $50 with DMFL? Not bad.

The T429 @ T-Mobile runs for like $120-$150 with no contract... even on a 2year contract you will most likely pay $30-$50 for it before any rebates.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score

I've tried changing it both within the "voice mail setup" section within the "messages" and also within the "speed dial" section.
    Did you try adding it as a contact. I am not familiar with the contacts in that phone as to how you asign them for one touch dialing.

Some phones allow you to assign them a one touch designation and some auto assign in the order they are entered in the phone.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

Carrier
    H2O, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimates
    Did you try adding it as a contact. I am not familiar with the contacts in that phone as to how you asign them for one touch dialing.

Some phones allow you to assign them a one touch designation and some auto assign in the order they are entered in the phone.
    The t301g doesn't automatically assign contacts to the speed dial, so this part can be done manually---with the exception of key #1, which is already dedicated to "voice mail" and cannot be altered. That said, the phone didn't activate with any kind of phone number associated with the voice mail and I'm unable to assign one even when going into the messages setup section (or whatever it's called). So the best I can do is to grab the appropriate phone number for voice mail off of my old phone and then create a new contact, label it as "voice mail" or whatever and assign it to speed dial #2.

It works, but it still is unfortunate because it adds a couple of more steps to the process of checking voice mail since you can't just click "yes" or whatever it is that appears whenever the message pops up that you have received a voice mail (since the phone of course thinks voice mail should be under speed dial #1, not #2).

Carrier
    H2O, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WstKstTrkFnUsr
    SAME HERE SAME HERE, I was just playing with the phone as I got it today and My #1 is not my voicemail either and it won't let me program it either. Do you have a red letter G at the top in the middle???? does anyone know what this is for???

I don't like the browser button as I hit it on accident, wish it could be reprogrammed. other than that I'm likeing it so far~~
    I agree with you totally about EVERYTHING you've written. I really like the phone except for the browser button placement and, of course, this buggy stuff regarding the voicemail. Since I'm apparently not the only one, it makes me wonder if it's a problem with the phones themselves? Though, I guess I won't rule out it being caused by something else. Either way it really sucks since I hate having to call. Hmmm.... I wonder what the odds are of getting the problem fixed by emailing rather than calling?

Haven't a clue what the red "G" is for, but I have it, too.

Carrier
    H2O, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    1. I can't seem to find the "_" (underscore) character on this phone. Did I just miss it? If not, then adding email addresses to the phone book that include the "_" character isn't very easy. But a workaround I found was to have the person with such an email address send me a message to my phone, and then once I opened the MMS message, I was able to extract the email address (complete with the "_" underscore) and add it to my phone book contacts.
    Good news! I was just too stupid to find it. (In my defense, how was I to know there were even more strange characters than just those that appeared by pressing the "1" and "0" keys over and over, eh?)

That said, there is a whole slew of strange characters and other shapes that can be input during the contact setup screen by simply holding down the "#" key for about 5 seconds. It brings up a grid and there the user can insert the "_" character.

Now if only I can figure out a better way to make my voice mail work properly. Though, I've seemingly tried almost everything.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score

That "G" means GPRS, it is a type of data that your tower uses. It may say EVDO or "E" in some areas. There is also 3G but I don't think Tracfone is using that service.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I'm not clear on all the technical stuff so I guess it's just something I can ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by mharris127
    That "G" means GPRS, it is a type of data that your tower uses. It may say EVDO or "E" in some areas. There is also 3G but I don't think Tracfone is using that service.
    Rob3235
    I agree with you totally about EVERYTHING you've written. I really like the phone except for the browser button placement and, of course, this buggy stuff regarding the voicemail. Since I'm apparently not the only one, it makes me wonder if it's a problem with the phones themselves? Though, I guess I won't rule out it being caused by something else. Either way it really sucks since I hate having to call. Hmmm.... I wonder what the odds are of getting the problem fixed by emailing rather than calling?
    don't forget to post when you find something out about the voicemail problem please. If they give you instructions or codes try to write them down if you can. I HATE HATE HATE calling toooo. Wish there was a way to disable that danged browser button too! I keep smacking it and it doesn't give you a half a sec to cancel b4 it charges you

Carrier
    H2O, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Rob3235
    don't forget to post when you find something out about the voicemail problem please.
    I called this morning, and unfortunately we weren't able to fix the problem. Ultimately, I got transferred to someone else who basically said that the voicemail is still "processing" and that I should check it again in 24 hours. I hope she's right and that it magically starts working, but I am doubtful seeing as how my voicemail account is already active---it just won't work using the #1 speed dial like it's supposed to. That said, I'll be very happy if it turns out I'm wrong and it suddenly starts working properly. I probably won't bother with calling again since I've at least got a work-a-round that let's me check voice mail and since I am otherwise happy with the phone.

Anyway, here is basically what happened:

I spoke to someone for about 30 minutes and she was very polite and, surprisingly, she was very easy to understand. (So good in fact that I wonder if she was in the Florida call center???? Either way, she was much better than the customer service reps I spoke to a few years ago.) She had me do the usual stuff like turn the phone off and back on again. She gave me the local phone number needed for me to access my voice mail and she had me dial it like a regular number to see if the phone could access it, which it does. (Yeah, I already knew that worked, but I was letting her do her thing and hoping maybe she'd get better results.) So we tried assigning that number to a couple of places (like I had already tried to do) but got no where. Her best suggestion was to simply add this phone number to my contacts and just use that to check voice mail (which I already had done).

When I complained a little bit stating that I really would like the phone to work properly the way the owner's manual states (by hitting the #1 key) she tried some of the same stuff over again. We never did anything with Parameter Codes. Ultimately transferring to someone else who did a brief check and then told me to wait 24 hours.

*sigh*

It's disappointing because other than the voice mail glitch this is the best quality Tracfone I've had. (My first Moto C261 frequently would buzz during the first minute of a phone converation. My second Moto C261 had a loud and horrible hissing noise in the background during phone calls and I only used it for about a month, which is part of the reason I was so quick to buy the Samsung when I saw it. That said, I suppose maybe the LG600g that I bought for my mom to use for emergencies, etc might actually be the best phone out of the bunch as far as call quality and signal reception goes. But I like the look of the Samsung better.)

Still, I'm disappointed. My dad has been looking to get a new cell phone and he really wants Verizon. I had been trying to convince my dad that perhaps he should save money by getting a Tracfone or a Net10 phone. But after this (and the fact that the web browser stopped working on my mom's LG phone) I think I'll tell him to just go ahead and get Verizon if that's what he wants. It'll cost more, even if he signs up for their senior citizen's plan. But it doesn't sound like a bad idea today.

I'll keep Tracfone for myself and for my mom, though.

Feedback Score
    Thank you sooo much for letting me know what went on. I sure hope it magically comes to life! I like the phone so far to. I was using the lg600 but didn't love it overall. had the motorolla (170? I think) and I used that one for a very long time before getting the lg. I tried the prepd. verizon along time ago. loved the phone but the reception was horrific on the coast. I don't know if they still limit their svc. area on their prepay vs. contract still but it was bad a couple years ago. Think I'll go enter some contacts in my new phone. wonder how the t201 clamshell will be....hmmmmmmm

Feedback Score
    Guys, any comparison between the Samsung 301G & the Moto W376G?
    Sound, Battery?

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Can you still access your voicemail by not using the 1 key. In other words, does the voicemail work, and is there another way to get to it? I'm planning on getting this phone to replace my 370 and I can get to my VM by using the message menu.
    Virgin Mobile user since June 2010.
    Was TracFone user from May 2008 to June 2010.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast