Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T debited my bank account twice for the same amount.

Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

AT&T debited my bank account twice for the same amount.

On 4/15/09 I went to my local AT&T store to pay my bill (it was more convenient at the time than going online or calling in).
    I have two account numbers with AT&T (merged into one later that same day)
    One had a balance of $265.33, the other $42.15.
    The payment kiosk said there was an "error" when I tried to pay with my debit card.
    I got a sales rep to help me and according to her computer, no payment had been posted on that account and I owed $265.33.
    She ran it through her system and it went through just fine.
    She then ran the $42.15 payment to the other account through and it too went fine.
    I called business care to merge my two accounts into one and also inquired about the balance. They showed only one payment had been made to the account with $265.33 and that I owed zero.

Well...

I'm looking at my bank account this morning and AT&T debited twice.

Once from the payment machine where it failed as a DEBIT transaction, and once from the rep's computer where it worked as a CREDIT transaction.

I haven't called Receivables Management yet as I can't find the number.

I don't feel like being given the runaround with CS like I was given when merging my accounts.

(Fought with them for over a month...then called in again and magically a rep was able to make it happen in about 20 minutes...)

What should I do?

Screenshot:

LUS Fiber (Lafayette, LA Municipal Fiber)
    "Fiber for the Future!"
    75x75 subscribed
    lusfiber.net

Phones
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Nokia 8290 on Simple Mobile (T-Mobile site checker)
    6340i (AT&T site checker) / 6200 backup GSM phone with 850
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    If you had signed for both purchases then you could have asked your bank to do a quick duplicate transaction reversal (chargeback). Since it looks like you used your PIN at the counter you probably need to work with AT&T on this one.
    AT&T and T-Mobile SF Bay Area+ Cell Sites - with Cell ID labels
    http://sfocellsites.com/
    Over 1,100 AT&T sites in the 9 Bay Area counties + San Benito, Santa Cruz and Monterey counties
    Now over 1,500 T-Mobile sites in these 12 counties

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9650
    Motorola Q9 Global (retired after three years)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    it could of just of been a hold and att will release the funds.
    1,000 posts 2:52 p.m March 11th, 2007
    2,000 posts 8:24 a.m February 24th, 2008

Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

To clarify, I used my PIN at the kiosk and it didn't work. I used my signature at the counter and it worked. It isn't a hold, as my bank doesn't show holds on my account.

Phones
    White 32 gig 3Gs
    Blackberry 9700(COU)
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Carrier
    at&t. Only provider for 13 years
    Feedback Score
    call into Care and ask for accounts receivable. You'll probably have to give a quick rundown to the rep but they will transfer quickly.

it'll go faster if you take a statement into the store and a rep calls in.

Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Just spoke with Receivables Management.
    They only show one payment made.
    They basically called me a liar...
    So now I have to fax in my bank statement and "if I'm lucky" it will get credited.
    Joy.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.1 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; ) 400x240 LGE VX10000)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl91
    Just spoke with Receivables Management.
    They only show one payment made.
    They basically called me a liar...
    So now I have to fax in my bank statement and "if I'm lucky" it will get credited.
    Joy.
    They are not calling you a lier, they just need to confirm that the bank actually made 2 payments for the same amount in error. Sometimes these things happen but it can be corrected. It is possible that in 24 hours that the duplicate transaction will no longer show. Please be patient and allow A/R to do their job.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4, Sprint Treo 800w
    iPhone 4
    Palm Treo 800W
    Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I've had this happen on AT&T landline (over the phone payment).
    Attempt to pay through over the phone:
    States until you receive a confirmation number, the transaction doesn't go through.
    It never gave a confirmation number, and went back through the menu system.
    I called up CS and attempted to check on it (and they verified it never went through), then manually processed a new one.
    Next day, I have 2 withdrawls from AT&T for the same amount

Its rare that I LET companies do billing by allowing them to hit a credit/debit/checking account, as they have done this kind of error in the past, and I don't appreciate letting other companies have access to MY accounts.

Instead, I have a bank account which will pay them electronically by sending an electronic check.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Phones
    Verizon iPhone
    Samsung DROID Charge
    Motorola Droid X
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Call your bank and have them reverse the charge made with your check card.

Apparently the kiosk authorized the payment but didn't apply it to your account, and AT&T's auto-pay pulled it from your account like it should have.
    -Sterling

Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.1 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; ) 400x240 LGE VX10000)

They are not calling you a lier, they just need to confirm that the bank actually made 2 payments for the same amount in error. Sometimes these things happen but it can be corrected. It is possible that in 24 hours that the duplicate transaction will no longer show. Please be patient and allow A/R to do their job.
    When they say, "We don't have reason to believe you. You could be trying to defraud us" that is, to me, the same as saying, "You're lying."

And, my bank says that it is out of their hands as the money has already been transferred to AT&T.

Phones
    Verizon iPhone
    Samsung DROID Charge
    Motorola Droid X
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    When they say, "We don't have reason to believe you. You could be trying to defraud us" that is, to me, the same as saying, "You're lying."

And, my bank says that it is out of their hands as the money has already been transferred to AT&T.
    For the auto-pay transaction that is partially true, as it looks like it was made via ACH debit.. This process is alot more involved.

However, your bank has full authority to reverse/dispute the check card transaction made at the kiosk.

Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuggyBoyWA
    For the auto-pay transaction that is partially true, as it looks like it was made via ACH debit.. This process is alot more involved.

However, your bank has full authority to reverse/dispute the check card transaction made at the kiosk.
    Autopay?
    There's no autopay involved with my account...I won't let AT&T enable it.
    My bills fluctuate wildly and so...no autopay.

Feedback Score

No it means that the rep does not see both transactions, so they can't see that there is a duplicate payment "yet". Notice on your bank image, they are on different days, which means they were posted on different days.

Did the A/R rep see the $42.15 payment?

The part about your bank is incorrect in the case of the credit payment. If you don't get better service from your Bank you might consider changing banks.

Dave

Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    This is what I faxed along with a cover sheet and my bank statement. Hopefully this works.

Quote Originally Posted by My Word document
    Hello,
    On April 15, 2009 I attempted to make a payment on account number xxxxxxxx in the amount of $265.33 at the AT&T retail location in Opelousas, LA using the payment kiosk. At the kiosk, I used my debit card with PIN number. It gave me an error. I then ran the payment as a PINless debit (“Credit”) transaction and it worked. I asked a sales representative to look at my account and she said only one payment went through. I also made a payment in the amount of $42.15 on account number xxxxxxxx. That payment went through without issue…it was done by the sales rep on her computer.
    Today, April 17, 2009, I looked at my xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx bank account online. I see that the $265.33 was debited TWICE from my bank account. Apparently, however, AT&T’s systems only show one payment as having gone through.
    I would like for the amount $265.33 to be refunded/credited to my bank account. I do NOT want a credit on my wireless account and I do not prefer receiving a check in the mail as this has severely damaged my financial situation and a direct credit to my debit card/checking account would ensure my getting my money back quickly.
    Attached to this fax you will find a printout from my bank showing the duplicate amounts.
    My wireless number is (337)-xxx-xxxx.
    The account is under xxxxxxxxxxxx; my name is xxxxxxxxx.
    The passcode on the account is xxxxx.
    The account xxxxxxxx has been closed. xxxxxxxx is the only account that should be open.
    I can be reached at (337)-xxx-xxxx.
    Please act quickly on this situation.
    Thank you.

Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dave006
    No it means that the rep does not see both transactions, so they can't see that there is a duplicate payment "yet". Notice on your bank image, they are on different days, which means they were posted on different days.

Did the A/R rep see the $42.15 payment?

The part about your bank is incorrect in the case of the credit payment. If you don't get better service from your Bank you might consider changing banks.

Dave
    Yes, the rep saw the $42.15.

According to my bank, debit transactions take a shorter amount of time to process than "credit"/PINless debit transactions, hence the difference in dates...but I don't know. I'm with this bank because we have our mortgage and a car loan with them and it's easier most of the time to have everything in one place...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast