Phones
    S4, wife S5, partner Galaxy Light
    S4
    wife S5
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score

wifi in Bart tunnel

Lving SF, was about 1/3 way thru Bart tunnel when, for some reason did a wi-fi search. It registered on something called "wifi_rail". (open connection) I saved it. By that time i was 3/4 of the way thru. It still saw a no bar signal, but couldn't log on. I don't take BART very often, so won't be able to check again.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    3 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text. 1G data on each line . $90/mo. We have had no landline in 8 years

Phones
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Nokia 8290 on Simple Mobile (T-Mobile site checker)
    6340i (AT&T site checker) / 6200 backup GSM phone with 850
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler
    Lving SF, was about 1/3 way thru Bart tunnel when, for some reason did a wi-fi search. It registered on something called "wifi_rail". (open connection) I saved it. By that time i was 3/4 of the way thru. It still saw a no bar signal, but couldn't log on. I don't take BART very often, so won't be able to check again.
    BART signed a contract a couple months ago to install WiFi for their customers. Here are a few articles:
    http://www.bart.gov/news/articles/20...s20090202.aspx
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA6015KD4C.DTL

Once the service covers the entire BART system (end of 2010), WiFi Rail plans to give customers 3-and-a-half minutes of free access for every 30 seconds that they watch an advertisement, Hernandez said. Or, they will be able to sign up for ad-free subscriptions at $6 for two hours’ use, $9 a day, $30 a month or $300 a year.
    Starting in mid-2009 it goes from free to half of the above.
    AT&T and T-Mobile SF Bay Area+ Cell Sites - with Cell ID labels
    http://sfocellsites.com/
    Over 1,100 AT&T sites in the 9 Bay Area counties + San Benito, Santa Cruz and Monterey counties
    Now over 1,500 T-Mobile sites in these 12 counties

Phones
    S4, wife S5, partner Galaxy Light
    S4
    wife S5
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Thanx for the link. Since I now am away fm. Bay Area more than half time, i rarely get a local paper.
    As mentioned, when I discover signa, it was so weak it showed no bars. As I exited the tunnel and pulled in West Oakland, lost signal all together. Didn't try again after that.
    Of course there's been cell signal in the SF stations for a long time.

I don't see this as being viable. Most of the system is above ground where you can get cell signal.
    Has any arrangement been made for someone to "wire" the underground part of the system for cell signal?
    If that happens, wifi, especially at those prices, is dead.

Info for those not familiar w. BART. The underground part of the system consists of (my very rough estimates) 4-5 miles in Oakland, 3-4 in Bkly, 8 miles under the Bay, and 5 miles in SF (part of which does have signal underground).

...mike