Thread: If my tracfone breaks ....

Feedback Score

If my tracfone breaks ....

.... or it gets stolen, or I lose it, can I still transfer the service time and minutes online (without calling TF) to another phone given I know par 0, par 30, and the serial #'s for both the phone and the sim (assuming it's GSM)?
    What about if there have been a few minutes used since one has recorded the parameters? I record them every two weeks or so. Assuming I lose my phone today, and have recorded the parameters last weekend (and have used say 10 minutes since then), can I still get a new phone today and transfer minutes and service days to it?

Thanks a lot to whoever knows. I am sure jim knows the answer.

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FT_VZW
    .... or it gets stolen, or I lose it, can I still transfer the service time and minutes online (without calling TF) to another phone given I know par 0, par 30, and the serial #'s for both the phone and the sim (assuming it's GSM)?
    What about if there have been a few minutes used since one has recorded the parameters? I record them every two weeks or so. Assuming I lose my phone today, and have recorded the parameters last weekend (and have used say 10 minutes since then), can I still get a new phone today and transfer minutes and service days to it?

Thanks a lot to whoever knows. I am sure jim knows the answer.
    Yes you can transfer online from a lost, stolen or broken fone. You may also use the parameters that you logged last weekend or whenever no matter how many minutes you have used since. That will also allow you to transfer the minutes that were on the fone at the time you logged the parameter values. Just the minutes are affected by the par values, not the service days, as the service days are kept track of within the trac system as well as on your fone. Heck, I would use the logged parameter values from when your fone was loaded with minutes. You may also manipulate the par values to get the most minutes possible. You can manipulate the parameters to get you the total amount of minutes that were ever added to the fone up to a maximum of 5000 mins. I do not advise maxing out a transfer to 5000 mins. I have attempted this a few times using different transfer scenario's and have had the fone killed, within days, every time.

The only info you need from the old fone is the serial number and the phone number. You will not need the sim number to transfer from the old fone whether online or with trac cs. I advise you to make sure that your fone is listed in an online account with trac. If not all anyone needs is your phones s/n and they can transfer the airtime to their fone (if they know how to work the system).

Many times when doing a transfer with a trac cs you may get asked to verify information in regards to the fone that you are transferring from. This may include the original activation zip code, when the last airtime was added and many other things. Keep in mind that all a trac csr needs to transfer your airtime is the fone s/n, phone number and par values. They will also ask you for your first name. The first name query may seem like them being friendly but I believe that it is their first level of account verification. Give them the wrong first name on your account and they will start asking for more info, most times. So if you get a csr that starts by asking for more info than what I have mentioned and you feel uncomfortable, then just hang up and call back. They do not need more info.

I'm sure Jim will be along shortly to confirm all this.
    Last edited by tracnet; 04-18-2009 at 06:26 PM.
    I recently tested the "don't mention a PP Dealer by name" rule here on PP Hofo......trust me, it is still in effect - got me a 7 day ban.

Feedback Score
    Wow, thanks tracnet for the detailed reply.
    It sounds like it's not worth then recording the params every two weeks, does it?

But it almost sounds too good to be true. Let's take it to the extreme: I have a backup phone with 6 years of service left, and about a thousand minutes. I could then use the minutes in say a year, and then transfer the service end date, plus those original 1,000 minutes to another cheap phone, and then back? All assuming I recorded the original parameters, of course.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FT_VZW
    Wow, thanks tracnet for the detailed reply.
    It sounds like it's not worth then recording the params every two weeks, does it?

But it almost sounds too good to be true. Let's take it to the extreme: I have a backup phone with 6 years of service left, and about a thousand minutes. I could then use the minutes in say a year, and then transfer the service end date, plus those original 1,000 minutes to another cheap phone, and then back? All assuming I recorded the original parameters, of course.
    Im interested in this one too... you might be able to get the phone to think you have 1,000 minutes but the system has an idea of how many minutes you have too (I think).

The other day when I was transferring one net10 phone to another something went wrong. The old phone had 1200 minutes and the new phone came with 300... = 1500. The minutes and service days went to the new phone just fine, but it didnt work. The old phone still worked though.

I called customer service and they fixed the issue... they had me enter a bunch of codes, and when I got done, the new phone was displaying 3,000 minutes... but if I checked the system and confirmed with the CS rep, it only shows I have 1,500. If I were to move them to a new phone, I would only get 1500.

Hope it helps... but to be sure I would see what others have to say...
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary
    Im interested in this one too... you might be able to get the phone to think you have 1,000 minutes but the system has an idea of how many minutes you have too (I think).

The other day when I was transferring one net10 phone to another something went wrong. The old phone had 1200 minutes and the new phone came with 300... = 1500. The minutes and service days went to the new phone just fine, but it didnt work. The old phone still worked though.

I called customer service and they fixed the issue... they had me enter a bunch of codes, and when I got done, the new phone was displaying 3,000 minutes... but if I checked the system and confirmed with the CS rep, it only shows I have 1,500. If I were to move them to a new phone, I would only get 1500.

You can find some info that I put together HERE
    Some of this is assumed but based on a lot of research and participation. I could not put together that page without giving some information on parameter 30 and also without giving some indication of what may be possible by manipulating it.

My experience indicates that Tracfone has an excellent system to keep up with days of service, but they have a very poor way of keeping up with mintues. Especially bonus minutes. The phone keeps track of how many minutes it has and it will quit working when it reached zero. It seems that Tracfone either does not update their system when they get billed from the carrier, or their system doesn't cross reference minutes used with minutes purchased. In other words when you make the system think you have 1000 minutes when you really only have 500, it doesn't have any way of confirming that you did or did not add mintues since the last time the system was current for your account.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

Carrier
    Feedback Score

First of all:::If you now go to the tech support page and enter you fones s/n does it direct you to enter codes? If it does but your fone is working, I would not enter the codes. They may end up adjusting the minutes to the correct amount.

How did the csr verify the minutes on the fone? With the par values? My guess is that the csr looked and saw the transferred minutes and activation minutes and determined the amount that way.... Have you attempted an online trial transfer to check what would really transfer?

As I pointed out earlier; you cannot transfer more minutes than what have ever been added to the fone. The trac/net10 system will know the total amount of minutes that have been added to the fone. Whether it be via transfer, paid for mins or bonus mins (bonus minutes are a bit hazy). The trac csr can access that info. In your case it may be true that all you can transfer from that fone is 1500 mins, even though the fone shows 3000. That would be because of the actions of the csr. However,as Jim stated, the fone is what keeps track of the number of mins left. So if it shows 3000 mins then you can use 3000 mins. There is always a slim chance that when you go over the 1500 mins the fone will get turned off by FP..very slim

If you try to transfer from the fone and enter the par values for the 3000 minutes the system may not transfer the 3000 mins as you have already mentioned. Even though the par 30 value would indicate that the fone has 3000 mins and the fone displays 3000 mins, the system would reject that because it has only seen 1500 mins ever added to the fone.

The trac csr's can calculate the amount of minutes on a fone by getting the call records from the underlying carrier and comparing it to the minutes added to the fone. But in the case of an active fone that calculation get's messed up because it normally takes 2 weeks for them to accomplish that. During which time you are still using the fone. They will normally go through that process when you lose a fone and they agree to transfer the minutes. At which point the fone's are not active. So that means that their calculations will be fairly accurate.

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    And now, I will take that info that Tracnet just put into words and put it on a little rinky dink web page and host it.

Maybe. lol.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I did do a "trial transfer" and cancel, and came up with 1,500 minutes.

The par 00 was 28, the rep was giving me codes for 24, it took a lot of fooling around.

So, for example, CDMA phones dont deduct any minutes before 15 seconds, so if the person you are calling picks up right away you can chat for 15 seconds and hang up. It technically counts as a minute to the carrier though? How would trac react to this?

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I did do a "trial transfer" and cancel, and came up with 1,500 minutes.

The par 00 was 28, the rep was giving me codes for 24, it took a lot of fooling around.

So, for example, CDMA phones dont deduct any minutes before 15 seconds, so if the person you are calling picks up right away you can chat for 15 seconds and hang up. It technically counts as a minute to the carrier though? How would trac react to this?
    Actually the 15 sec timer starts as soon as you hit the send button, so it's timing you during the ring also.

I would think that, like you mentioned, the carrier would see that "less than 15 sec" usage as one minute and charge trac accordingly. But I really don't know that.

If that were the case I think it would take more "less than 15 sec" calls than a person would care to make, to actually raise the eyebrows at trac LP/FP. But, who knows, after all this is trac we're talking about..........