Thread: H2O vs. Pageplus?

Phone
    LG AX145
    Carrier
    Alltel/VZW
    Feedback Score

H2O vs. Pageplus?

Quote Originally Posted by NC_curious
    BTW, would H2O wireless (CDMA version of O2 wireless) be a good alternative to pageplus? I want to move my other line to prepaid (I use about 250 min per month), and considering pageplus and H2O wireless. Thanks!
    NC_curious asked that above question in the O2 thread, but didn't get an answer on it, and since that is mostly focusing on their GSM service, I thought it might be worth raising this to a separate discussion.

I just looked over the H2O offerings:

http://www.shoplocus.com/wireless/wireless_main.php

(click on H2O link there, of course!)

And there seem to be some pluses and minuses, but on the whole fairly competitive with Pageplus.

The pluses:
    -No extra charge for international calling to a number of countries!
    -Rates at some levels are (slightly) better than Pageplus

The minuses:
    -Some expiration dates are less than Pageplus...so lowest cost to upkeep is still around $10/month.

Those are the clearest bits to me. I didn't see any "monthly fee" for their service, but maybe I missed that. If there isn't one, it's another small plus for H2O. It also doesn't look like dealers are as easy to find as Pageplus (and PP dealers and stores that carry their cards, etc. aren't the easiest thing outside the net either!). H2O phone selection seems even worse than PagePlus, but they do say they'll activate Verizon phones, so shouldn't be a huge difference in the long run there. I have no idea on quality of service or customer service, etc. Both use VZW network.

So....all in all, it seems like the big plus is the possibility of free (no extra charge above airtime used) international calling, and marginally better rates at some levels, at the expense of expiration time. So, if a person uses $10 or more worth of time a month, or doesn't mind accumulating time, then it's not a bad thing. But if you're looking for the cheapest per month phone for minimal use, then Pageplus still seems to have an edge.

There are other VZW MVNOs out there, of course, but since the question was originally H2O vs. Pageplus, I thought it'd be good to focus on that here. Since I don't have actual experience with either, but will be in a new VZW territory soon, this does interest me as well...but would love to hear input from those with real world experience to compare. Thanks...
    ~Michael~

Feedback Score
    Hey EPMike, I emailed them about any daily or monthly fees for their H2O wireless service and I asked if they are going to change their expiration dates to reflect their GSM service expiration dates (longshot, but it does not hurt to ask). I'll post back, when I get their answer.

Feedback Score
    Well, H20 responded, fairly quick I must say. I did not expect a response until tomorrow, because it was late afternoon when I emailed them. Anyways, here is there response, below.

Good Evening Nate,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your inquiry and interest in our product. The H2O Wireless service currently does not have any daily or monthly fees. As of now we do not have any plans on changing the expiration dates for this product, however if anything does change it will be announced and updated on our website. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Julian R.
    Customer Care
    Locus Telecommunications, Inc.
    Like I said originally, it was a long shot on them changing their expiration dates. Oh well, it did not hurt to ask!

I hope this helps,

Feedback Score
    Thank you very much, EPMike, for moving my question here.

The reason I was interested in H2O wireless as an alternative to pageplus was that I can synchronize the recharge cycle with my wife's account on O2 wireless (she really likes her GSM phone), and H2O had very competitive rates. I was impressed with quick email responses and their customer service hours, just like what ngnetzky has seen, I received very quick responses, sometimes within an hour, to email questions. This was true to both O2 wireless and H2O wireless.

Right now, I have two lines open for myself - one is with O2 wireless, one is with pageplus (in addition to my wife's O2 wireless line), with the pageplus line being my main line, and O2 line being my toy. I went to pageplus first because of their OLAM (on line account management) capability, which is a HUGE plus for me. O2 and H2O currently do not offer that. If O2 and H2O offer OLAM, they sure will be a good competition for pageplus.

Phone
    LG AX145
    Carrier
    Alltel/VZW
    Feedback Score
    Yes, was good to pull this out to its own thread for anyone interested, so not a problem!

I also got a fairly timely reply to an email I sent yesterday (Sunday)...reply came back today...so within hours in a business timeframe. They seem to be pretty sparse on dealers and places to buy refill cards yet, but hopefully that will improve in time. I agree on having OLAM would be a huge plus too. Along with a few other things, but even so, they seem roughly competitive with Pageplus, and if they fit a person's needs better, maybe they are worth trying.

They are about the same cost as I have with Alltel right now....going with the lowest cost options..and since their $20 card is a 60 day expiry, it's also competitive on timing (with Alltel). But a lot more minutes, and included ILD to boot....not bad if that's what a person is looking for. Hopefully we'll get more input on this and they will continue to improve their offerings and increase their dealer population.

Feedback Score
    Here is a little more info, if anyone is interested.

*SMS is .10/cents per sent/received.
    *If the phone is activated through them directly, you will receive 100 starter minutes.
    *They do not hold your ESN hostage as long as you emailed them and request your service to be canceled.
    *They claimed to have the same exact coverage as Verizon Inpulse. If this is true, then they have access to former Alltel areas. When I emailed PP last, Page Plus stated that Verizon was not letting their MVNO's have access to former Alltel areas. I really don't know what to believe?

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ngnetzky
    When I emailed PP last, Page Plus stated that Verizon was not letting their MVNO's have access to former Alltel areas. I really don't know what to believe?
    It has been my experience PP does in fact NOT roam in previous Alltel areas.
    I travel quite often through Alltel territory. On my last trip in March where I used to get a roaming triangle on my phone now I do not. I placed a call in an area that I know for sure was Alltel and no double dialing and the call was billed at the regular non roaming rate.
    I do not understand Page Plus' lack of information on this subject.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 25jive1
    It has been my experience PP does in fact NOT roam in previous Alltel areas.
    I travel quite often through Alltel territory. On my last trip in March where I used to get a roaming triangle on my phone now I do not. I placed a call in an area that I know for sure was Alltel and no double dialing and the call was billed at the regular non roaming rate.
    I do not understand Page Plus' lack of information on this subject.

Sort of off topic.
    25jive1, Have you gone through Ohio or Indiana yet?
    Did you roam anywhere on Pageplus? There are spots throughout Indiana and Ohio that show prepaid roaming. If you do. Remember Ohio is automatic A and Indiana is automatic B

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    Sort of off topic.
    25jive1, Have you gone through Ohio or Indiana yet?
    Did you roam anywhere on Pageplus? There are spots throughout Indiana and Ohio that show prepaid roaming. If you do. Remember Ohio is automatic A and Indiana is automatic B
    The area I know that was Alltel is in west central Missouri, near the town of Bolivar to be exact. In the past my PP phone showed roaming there....not now.
    On the same trip I drove across Arkansas from the SE to the NW, only once did my PP phone show roaming, in the very SE corner of the state in a stretch of about 10 miles. I learned the CDMA provider there is Cellular South - hence roaming. Ark is Alltel's home...no where else did I see roaming indicator in the state.

Feedback Score
    So you guys know, I activated a W385 that I had laying around on H20 Wireless and everything went smoothly. They forgot to tell me to dial *228 to program my phone, so people who are not familiar with Verizon MVNO's won't know what to do. However, this only a small complaint. Also, I received a $12 call credit when I activated my phone online. So far no real complaints, and I'm very pleased with their Customer Service.

Phone
    LG AX145
    Carrier
    Alltel/VZW
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the heads up, and for giving it a whirl, ngnetzky! You'll have to post some updates down the line as well. Couple questions came to mind after reading your post though.

1) You mentioned using the online activation...how did that go? I think there's no cost for online activation, right? How did number selection portion go? Were you just assigned a number, or did you have a little bit of flexibility in trying out locations to get a better prefix?

2) $12 credit is nice, but curious on the initial expiry date with the online activation. I think the O2 thread was saying 120 days was pretty common experience there...so wondering what H2O turned out to be.

Thanks again....hope it keeps going well!

Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EPMike
    Thanks for the heads up, and for giving it a whirl, ngnetzky! You'll have to post some updates down the line as well. Couple questions came to mind after reading your post though.

1) You mentioned using the online activation...how did that go? I think there's no cost for online activation, right? How did number selection portion go? Were you just assigned a number, or did you have a little bit of flexibility in trying out locations to get a better prefix?

2) $12 credit is nice, but curious on the initial expiry date with the online activation. I think the O2 thread was saying 120 days was pretty common experience there...so wondering what H2O turned out to be.

Thanks again....hope it keeps going well!

I haven't really been following this thread, but I will try to answer.

1) Online activation with Page Plus does cost money.

2) $12 credit with Page Plus will last 120 days.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by avenue
    I haven't really been following this thread, but I will try to answer.

1) Online activation with Page Plus does cost money.

2) $12 credit with Page Plus will last 120 days.
    Avenue:
    I believe that EPMike was referring to my post which I activated a W385 on H2O Wireless.

EPMike:

Online activation is totally free with H2O Wireless. During the online activation, they asked for an area code and then they list neighborhoods that they have #'s available in the chosen area code. So, their is almost no flexibility in number selection. After you complete their simple online form, they will usually respond back via email after a couple of hours, with your new # and telling you that your phone is ready to be programed. However, they don't tell you how to program your phone. As I said in my earlier post, this was not a problem with me, because I was already familiar with Page Plus. I just dialed *228 and within seconds, my phone was ready to be used. Another thing to note, is the balance notification that is at the beginning of every call is in $$$ and not minutes (like the old PP system). Also, they have an auto recharge option, but it must be setup through CS (unlike, O2 Wireless, it can not be done online). I hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    I am confused, wouldn't you pay more using H20 then pageplus?

Phone
    Motorolla E815
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am confused, wouldn't you pay more using H20 then pageplus?
    Page Plus beats H20 in alot of spots but H20 has a couple advantages.

-no 50 cent monthly fee
    -International Calling to 50 countries for free
    -more minutes on the $50 card
    -Very good value on the $100 card

Competition is always good

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast