Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: use of old motorola Startac on todays networks

Device(s)
    IPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

use of old motorola Startac on todays networks

i did a search not too long ago and i read that they can be used if i get the digital one, but i went to a cellphone store and the guy at the store said that i cant use it cause the networks are so different now. i was under the impression if i picked up a "digital" startac i could use it.

i figured i can pick one up and use it with verizon? (is it possible to use with att since thats who i have now?(yes i have an iphone and i want to go old school)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_StarTAC

Device(s)
    Motorola i885
    Carrier(s)
    Telus MIKE iDEN;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YaZ ahX
    i did a search not too long ago and i read that they can be used if i get the digital one, but i went to a cellphone store and the guy at the store said that i cant use it cause the networks are so different now. i was under the impression if i picked up a "digital" startac i could use it.

i figured i can pick one up and use it with verizon? (is it possible to use with att since thats who i have now?(yes i have an iphone and i want to go old school)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_StarTAC
    Yes, if you get a StarTAC 7000 series phone, those later models were digital. The 3000e that I have sitting on my desk right now is analog, unfortunately.
    But the 7000 series included GSM and CDMA models.

I know a few people who still use the StarTAC 7868 CDMA (I'm jealous) and in my opinion they were one of the best phones Motorola ever made. Especially the handset earcup...it was actually of a decent size.

Anyone remember the crazy PDA attachment that snapped onto the back of the StarTAC, like the auxiliary battery?

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You can't use any StarTac today, not because of the digital/analog issue, but it's against FCC regulation. The StarTac isn't GPS 911 capable, therefore, can't be activated legally.

Device(s)
    Motorola i885
    Carrier(s)
    Telus MIKE iDEN;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanBounca
    You can't use any StarTac today, not because of the digital/analog issue, but it's against FCC regulation. The StarTac isn't GPS 911 capable, therefore, can't be activated legally.
    Well, I thought that was a certain percentage only, not that 100% of all phones used on the network must be e911 capable. I'm sure someone still uses their StarTAC on the network, though. (Maybe you're getting at the point of new activations versus existing clients.)
    However, I am not the expert on FCC ruling due to geographical location.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G, 8900 Javelin, G600, Pebl, v80 w/850,
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The carriers are allowed 10%. The hard part is getting a matching MSN and MSID these days. The older phones for the most part don't support that programming, but some do. If you have an old account there shouldn't be a problem, at least not with Sprint, VZW may be different.

If all fails, and you need to use a 'Tac, I suggest either GSM or Page Plus for CDMAids. I use a GSM 'Tac regularly, and my CDMA Timeport (8767 - the good one) hasn't let me down yet.

Device(s)
    BB Strom 9550, BB Bold 9700, iPhone 3GS 32 GB, BB Storm 9500
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Mobile, Fido
    Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TRENT310
    Anyone remember the crazy PDA attachment that snapped onto the back of the StarTAC, like the auxiliary battery?
    Hey, I still have one of those. I haven't fired it up in a while, but I bet it still has my old contacts still stored in it.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkbone98
    The carriers are allowed 10%. The hard part is getting a matching MSN and MSID these days. The older phones for the most part don't support that programming, but some do. If you have an old account there shouldn't be a problem, at least not with Sprint, VZW may be different.

If all fails, and you need to use a 'Tac, I suggest either GSM or Page Plus for CDMAids. I use a GSM 'Tac regularly, and my CDMA Timeport (8767 - the good one) hasn't let me down yet.
    They do allow 10%, but they won't allow new StarTac activations on the network. The 10% is for already activated non-E911 phones on the network.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G, 8900 Javelin, G600, Pebl, v80 w/850,
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    ^^ There's a man who knows.
    Go GSM, CDMAids isn't worth it

Device(s)
    IPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    thanks for the information!!

im trying to track down a phone still. i plan to use page plus for the service. im trying to find a phone local rather than get one on ebay.. its going to be interesting to go from the iphone to the tac, but i need to get away from the technology alittle

Device(s)
    iPhone 4s
    Carrier(s)
    AirVoice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TRENT310
    Mine just went into the recycling bin.

Back then it was cutting edge. Gazillion contacts on a small package.

Feedback Score

Brand New StarTAC (Well, sort-of brand new)

I have one! Just got a used 2000 Mercedes S500 and it has a Mercedes-branded StarTAC installed in the center console. The car only had 38,000 miles after almost 10 years... so I found a rare very low miles MB and I got it at a great price. The StarTAC in the vehicle still has the plastic covering over the screen and battery... I don't think it was ever used! It has been nicely preserved in a cocoon of safety in the center console of a hardly-used Mercedes. I've seen people on this forum looking for this phone... anyone interested in mine? Email me if you are: [email protected]

P.S. When unplugged, the battery shows zero bars. Could be that after all these years it can't hold a charge. Or, it could be that the car just hasn't been on for long enough to charge the battery (assume the former if you are interested).

Device(s)
    iphone 7 128GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    LG VX11000, LG Dare, LG EnvII, Glide.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/Nextel/Boost
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TRENT310 View Post
    Yes, if you get a StarTAC 7000 series phone, those later models were digital. The 3000e that I have sitting on my desk right now is analog, unfortunately.
    But the 7000 series included GSM and CDMA models.

I know a few people who still use the StarTAC 7868 CDMA (I'm jealous) and in my opinion they were one of the best phones Motorola ever made. Especially the handset earcup...it was actually of a decent size.

Wrong.. just saying..

<--using startac p8767

Carrier(s)
    pageplus
    Feedback Score
    yea, startacs will work with todays carriers for years to come, many are reactivated on prepaid carriers like page plus cause prepaid carriers dont require e911. the gsm and cdma models will still work. id recomend a cdma model as all gsm models are single band. these models are cdma and will work

st7860 - 800mhz cdma
    st7867 - 1900mhz pcs
    st7868 -trimode 800/1900

there are also startac based phones like the timeport p8767/ v8160 etc, those can be used also, i personaly have a timeport p8767 as a personal phone, soon to buy a few st7868s on ebay. i love these phones as they remind me of the microtac i used back in highschool, this was in 2006-2008.

Carrier(s)
    pageplus
    Feedback Score
    goodluck, try old cellshops, they usually have a big bag of broken/old phones u can go threw. if anyone needs help manually programing theres, pm me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast