Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Feedback Score

How much is 500 mb really?

I am about to get an iPhone with the 500 mb data plan. How much is 500 mb in reality? What can I expect per month? I will probably be doing 10 youtube videos, a lot of internet, constantly checking e-mails-all of this daily. For you iPhone owners, how much data do you use per month on average and what are your tasks on it?

Phone
    iPhone 4S, Samsung Captivate, MiFi 2200
    Carriers
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Define "a lot of internet" Just judging by what you said, I am not sure if 500 would be enough. It also depends on how often you will use WiFi, or if you will just always use cellular.
    Rock, Chalk!

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I use my phone alot so I have an unlimited package (which I think you have to get with ATT anyway). I feel safe with this so I don't have to worry but honestly most of the time I am connected to WiFi.

So like what Squid says, it really depends.

Edit - Just looked at my bill, it says just around 16,000MB of data for the first month I had it. I don't watch very many videos and do no tethering. I don't browse the net much either. I have a few apps that mite be "data heavy" though, so you have to watch out really. I didn't think I was using that much data at all.

Does anyone know if the Data counts when you are on WiFi too? If so, that seems like a hell of alot of Data. I'm almost always on WiFi.
    Last edited by JemEnglert; 04-28-2009 at 05:32 AM.

Feedback Score
    16,000 mb?!?!?!?!?!? =16gigs?????? WOW

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    I suppose I could give the smartass answer and say 500mb is 512000 KB's or 524288000 Byte's or 0.48828 GB...

Oh, I did

But I believe the iPhone cuts down the quality on youtube VS. watching on a computer.

For example, the 1 movie (~ 1.5 hours) "Super Size Me" on youtube is almost 600mb in the quality it plays on my PC.... and its not that fantastic of quality.

For a phone like the iPhone, IMO, 500mb is nothing.

Depending on video length and video quality, 10 videos could put you over the limit.. easily.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tl9015
    16,000 mb?!?!?!?!?!? =16gigs?????? WOW
    Yup. I was thinking of taking a screen shot, but I don't think anyone will really doubt it. It is very easily done with this phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary
    For a phone like the iPhone, IMO, 500mb is nothing.
    Agreed.

To the OP, if it's possible, get an unlimited plan for the first month to see how much you use. Then adjust it from there.

Feedback Score
    Well for Rogers they have $25 for 500 mb, $30 for 1 gig. They used to have a $30 for 6 gigs plan but it was just temporary to calm down angry customers.

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Fido, RedPocket, Kolbi
    Feedback Score
    ^ and the reason they got rid of it is because about 95% of users on the 6 gig plan didn't even go over 500mb in their first month (which would usually be one of the highest months of data consumption as they are playing around with the device more when they get it)

I personally go between 1 and 3 gigs per month. This is mostly high quality audio streaming though. If I ONLY browsed and used email, I would probably be between 500mb and 1 gig.

I reccommend the 1 gig plan. It's only $5 more and gives you double the data. You should have no problem with 1 gig.
    Current arsenal: iPhone 5S 16GB / 13" Retina Macbook Pro 2.5ghz 8GB ram / iPad 2 WIFI 16GB / Apple TV 2 / Slingbox Solo / Acer Aspire Z5610 touchscreen all-in-one / Acer Aspire netbook

Fallen soldiers: iPhone 5 16GB / iPhone 4S 16GB / iPhone 4 16GB / iPhone 3G 8GB / BlackBerry Pearl 8100 / Motorola L6 SLVR / Nokia 5190, 3390, 8390, 3220 / Ericsson T18z / Mitsubishi G310 / Motorola C333 / Sony Ericsson T237

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've never gone above 300MB without tethering. With tethering, I've hit 5GB.

Phone
    iPhone 4G 32GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JemEnglert
    Edit - Just looked at my bill, it says just around 16,000MB of data for the first month I had it. I don't watch very many videos and do no tethering. I don't browse the net much either. I have a few apps that mite be "data heavy" though, so you have to watch out really. I didn't think I was using that much data at all.
    No way you did 16 GB. Look closer at the bill. It's more likely you did 16.000MB.

Last edited by XFF; 04-28-2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: fixed quotation

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by givmeabrek
    No way you did 16 GB. Look closer at the bill. It's more likely you did 16.000MB.

Agreed, that's very unlikely. 16 GB in a month would be 0.5 GB per day, or 30 MB every waking hour. Every hour! There's no way you pull that much data unless you stream video or other broadband sources all the time.

And no, Wi-Fi data doesn't count against your allowance with your wireless carrier, nor is it included in the usage statistics under iPhone's settings. As givmeabrek said, you probably used 16,000 KB or appr. 16 MB.
    Last edited by XFF; 04-28-2009 at 05:54 PM.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Phone
    Nexus 4, iP5S, GS4...
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The highest I've used, tethering on N95, is about 9GB... But 16GB! damn..what were you doing ? Hosting a telecast!! In all seriousness, one CAN easily do 16GB..

To the OP, if you have the option to get Unlimited, I would suggest that for atleast the first month.. That way, you don't have to worry about data overage.. and a new phone normally means above average usage for atleast the first month! I recommend an unlimited data plan if available and within your budget!
    My World Phone dot com is a VERY SHADY seller. Click here for details

My Toys: '10 M5 : '12 Blown LS7 : iP5S : GS4 : Nexus N4 : N95-4 : E71-2 [Sold]

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Fido, RedPocket, Kolbi
    Feedback Score
    ^ Unlimited data plans don't exist in Canada. (I assume the OP is in Canada because we've got the 500mb plan here) The best we got was the 6GB data plan, which was only a special when the iPhone came out.

The closest our carriers have are "unlimited browsing/messaging" plans, but they're only compatible with certain phones on each carrier. Usually only WinMo phones and Blackberries.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    16gb is high but very possible. Its hard to mistake 16mb for 16gb, you know what you use when it comes to a difference like that. Only a few minutes of data can be 16mb...

Just on a dumbphone (including tethering) ive used 2gb in a month, I have friends who have used up to 10gb.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Whoops. Sorry for the confusion, the online bills are a bit tricky to read at 4am. It looks like the 16,000 was a cobination of Data and Texts.

The actual data was around 8,000 - but because the way the bill is set up, I can't tell if it is MB or KB. Here is a screen if anyone wants to take a guess:

It that means KB I am really, really surprised.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast