Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I need a Tracfone Expert/Have a huge problem

Feedback Score

I need a Tracfone Expert/Have a huge problem

I have been getting harassing phone calls from a Tracfone for quite a long time now. I have gotten to know enough to know it's a Tracfone. The cops act like they have better things to do so my next option is the lawyer. But that's expensive and want to know what a subpoena, which I think would work, would get me. I'd rather not be out the legal fees or get my hopes up to finally end this for no good reason.

I believe I know who this is but just need the proof to nail them. Further I have found out that the person who I suspect was seen using a phone looking very different than their normal one to call their son and think this is probably the phone used to bother me. I think enough identifying calls like that would get me some proof but the call to the son was some months ago.

So here is my question. Does Tracfone retain call records or how and where the phone was activated from? If so, for how long? If they do I'm going to go after this but if not, I'm not going to waste my money.

Also any other ideas to get definitive proof of who this is would be appreciated. Thank you.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    I would bet that the underlying carrier keeps records of calls (Tracfone is an MVNO using other carriers networks to provide service). If you have the phone number (identifies the underlying carrier and caller), that is all that they would need to look up the records. Unfortunately, you need to get the police involved somehow to get the records needed to prosecute. If the police won't help, call the District Attorney's office and talk to them. If you have the caller ID records that would help. If that goes nowhere, call the State Attorney General's office and if these are interstate calls, the FBI.

The calls may need to be traced because Tracfone does not require name, address, etc. to activate and a false name may have been used if the owner did provide info.

Another tact is to have a friend unknown to the harasser call him (blocking caller ID), claiming to be from the FBI and telling them that if the harassing calls do not stop that he will be arrested, tried and convicted of stalking.

The tact I prefer is to give him a taste of his own medicine. Using obscene language, tell him to go f--- himself among other tasteless remarks. PM me if you need ideas. This will also use up his minutes, leaving him no way to harass you until he loads up! If you are sure of the person you could also spread nails in his driveway, throw eggs at his cars (wrecks expensive paint jobs), flatten his tires by popping them with a jackknife, cut his spark plug wires (disconnect them first) etc. Do not get legal authorities involved if you go this route!

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by harassed1
    I have been getting harassing phone calls from a Tracfone for quite a long time now...
    Look at the CallerID ... if you don't want to talk to them ... don't answer. Turn off call-forwarding. Advise your phone contacts that you don't answer anonymous calls.
    Regards

Phones
    If I told 'ya.....
    I'd have to terminate your contract...
    And that would mean an Evil ETF!
    Carriers
    I've used them all...
    Feedback Score
    Ideas for coping:

1) Change your number. (yeah, I figured you don't want to do that, but I have to state it as the most obvious choice).
    2) Ignore calls from numbers you don't recognize as being your friends and relatives that you WANT to talk to.
    3) SAVE any harrassing voicemails left and take them to the police and the cell carrier that holds the number that he is calling you from. Your options for tracing the caller and prosecuting him or stopping him are much broader if you can get the police to take it seriously.
    4) Answer the phone call, but have a very high-powered whistle or air horn in your hand when you answer, and USE IT right into the speaker.
    5) Start your voicemail messages with: "Please Be Advised That All calls To This Number are being recorded for use in a criminal investigation...."
    6) Hire a privates defective and get the phone traced to its physical location at the time of the call (probably illegal, but hey...) through triangulation methods.
    7) Instead of acting shocked or "engaging" the caller in any negative way, act like you know them - "Hey there, how ya doin? How's your mom these days? I told her you've been calling me.... How's it going with your 12-step program? Are you getting better?" Sometimes when people cut me off in traffic, instead of flipping 'em the bird, I wave excitedly like I just recognized who they are... Confuse em!
    Last edited by CSI_Nut; 05-03-2009 at 03:15 PM.
    I guess I don't know the right people, because I can't get away with anything around here... Rest assured, though, I will never maliciously properly quote anybody again!

Phones
    LG3280
    Nokia 2600
    Nokia 2126i
    Carriers
    TracFone CDMA/TracFone GSM
    Beyond Wireless TDMA (RIP)
    Feedback Score
    How do you KNOW it's a Tracfone? Have you checked the phone number?

"Harassing" is pretty subjective. If they're threatening you, call the police. Are they bill collectors calling you?

Yes, Tracfone has records and yes you'll need a subpoena to get at them and it won't be easy. You're not going to be able to go down to concilliation court and get a subpoena. You'll need to go to a prosecutor (your best option - let them pay the costs) or you'll likely have Tracfone fight releasing the records.

You can play childish games with them like try to burn their minutes, but if they're reasonably bright they'll catch on pretty quick so that won't work. Trying to vandalize them could land you in jail if you're ready for that.

How much do you want to spend on this? Private investigators can gain access to the information, most likely. You know what it'll cost, coupled with your legal fees, time and effort? So, why not just change the number and be done with it? If you go to court, you'll be asked that anyway.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    She knows because Tracfone is identified in the name slot of the caller ID's (at least on a landline). I prefer flattening tires and scratching/egging paint jobs on the offender's car. More than likely if the OP is a first time criminal he will only get probation and restitution anyway. When you pay restitution, make sure you stretch it out over years (claim financial inability). It is not illegal to attempt to burn through the offender's minutes. Make sure to make the offender sweat a little, calls from the "FBI" and the "(fill in the county) Sheriff's Department" (or city police if your state doesn't have county wide sheriffs departments) do wonders!

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127
    She knows because Tracfone is identified in the name slot of the caller ID's (at least on a landline).
    I just wanted to point out that it is not always true that "tracfone ****" appears on the callerID of a phone receiving a call from a trac. My alltel based cdma trac's will show "tracfone wireless" where as my att based gsm trac's will show "wireless caller" on the receiving fone.

I recently tested the "don't mention a PP Dealer by name" rule here on PP Hofo......trust me, it is still in effect - got me a 7 day ban.

Phones
    If I told 'ya.....
    Carriers
    I've used them all...
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracnet
    I just wanted to point out that it is not always true that "tracfone ****" appears on the callerID of a phone receiving a call from a trac. My alltel based cdma trac's will show "tracfone wireless" where as my att based gsm trac's will show "wireless caller" on the receiving fone.
    Another way to tell that a phone number is from an MVNO instead of the primary carrier is by:

1) Going to whitepages and discovering the carrier (AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, USCellular, etc). There is a feature on whitepages reverse lookup where you can determine if a phone number is "mobile-to-mobile" for you, and on the final screen of that feature, it tells you who the carrier is for the number.

Then:

2) Going to the carrier's website and attempting to set up an account. If the number is assigned to an MVNO you'll get an error message. If it is already set up with the carrier directly, you won't get past the password/login screen, but you'll know that it's through that carrier directly. If it isn't already set up for online access, you need to stop right there because proceeding further would be somewhat illegal.

The only exception that I know of to that is that for awhile I was able to log in to AT&T with my SpeakOut Wireless phone number and view call history. Then that ability vanished one night, never to be seen again. So I can't guarantee that ALL MVNO's are inaccessible on their primary carrier's account info screens, but I can say that I couldn't access Tracfone numbers on AT&T or T-Mobile's primary carrier sites.

Final Caveat: Step #2 only tells you that AT&T carries the number but not the account itself. It does not tell you WHO The MVNO is - it might be Tracfone, but it could also be SpeakOut, Airvoice, Net10, or any number of prepaid MVNOs.

Final Evil Thought: If you were successful in setting up an online account for the phone number of your harrassing caller, you could then deplete the account balance by ordering ringtones, games, etc. Leaving less money in the account for him to harrass you with... You could also print out a call history proving that the owner of that number was calling you. This might be hard to explain in court, though, when you appear to be the owner of the account that is placing harrassing calls to you. LOL!

I think I better go rid of my mind of these evil thoughts...

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracnet

I just learned that tidbit. My ATT based Net10 says "Wireless Caller". My father's Alltel based and all of the Alltel based phones I had said "Tracfone Customer", so I had assumed all of them did that.

Good luck in whatever you do about this problem. I still like the idea of flattening tires and ruining spark plug wires but I have to admit it is likely sort of embarassing being led out of your house in handcuffs to a waiting police department car. In this part of Michigan your name and offense is also published in the local newspaper upon conviction. Whatever you do, make sure it is only a misdemeanor and not a felony!

Feedback Score
    If I change the number I have to say bye bye to the business we have via internet and phone, go broke, etc. I know it's a tracfone because when I put the number in www.amberalerts.org it returns ATT. When I go to ATT to sign in, I get a no such account type error. The only prepaid service in our area that uses ATT but not ATT is Tracfone. In order to set up an online account would be to have the IMEI number. Does anybody know how to get that without the physical phone?

The calls and texts aren't the least bit threatening. For example, I got a text saying "that was a beautiful yellow sweater you were wearing today". Well, Jeez, that's a compliment. But no, the person I suspect isn't a neighbor who would have the occasion to run into me in the normal course of a day. The person I suspect would have to go out of their way to "see" me...Or, the call in the middle of the night to my cell from my landline with the horror movie noises on the voicemail. Nothing was said at all so that could not be construed as a threat. The call with the electronic voice saying "don't go walking down any dark alleys or deserted streets". That's a good piece of advice for all of us. The accusing me of ripping off something I have no access to. Well, that could be a case of mistaken identity or a misunderstanding. The next morning I found said object left on my porch............

And er, um, if I did manage to get access to the account I wouldn't just print out and march off to court. I would print out from some internet cafe and then put in a manilla envelope addressed to myself (typed) w/o a return address and drop in a mailbox near their work. "Jeez, I don't know. Looks like they have a few enemies at work too who ran into something they thought I could use? I just don't know your honor".

Incidentally, the person I suspect (actually know but have no effing proof!!) is no kid at 41 years old.

Anything, ideas that won't land me in jail or maimed?

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    get a trac and give her some of her/his own medicine.
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    actuallly there is a service called spoofcard.com, you enter your tracfone number, the number you want to call and the number that you want to be shown on their caller id! you can do a test call on the site and you can buy 60 min for 10 bux, make several calls from "strategic numbers" you dont even have to talk just the effect of having that number on the caller id is enough. and of course the number you will use will be one for a big agency that the number can go to hundreds of extensions in said agency. cdc, fbi, their employer, or even the lottery or a sweepstakes number have fun with it.

Phones
    Galaxy S4 Mini
    Galaxy S4 Mini
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    If I change the number I have to say bye bye to the business we have via internet and phone, go broke, etc. I know it's a tracfone because when I put the number in www.amberalerts.org it returns ATT. When I go to ATT to sign in, I get a no such account type error. The only prepaid service in our area that uses ATT but not ATT is Tracfone. In order to set up an online account would be to have the IMEI number. Does anybody know how to get that without the physical phone?

The calls and texts aren't the least bit threatening. For example, I got a text saying "that was a beautiful yellow sweater you were wearing today". Well, Jeez, that's a compliment. But no, the person I suspect isn't a neighbor who would have the occasion to run into me in the normal course of a day. The person I suspect would have to go out of their way to "see" me...Or, the call in the middle of the night to my cell from my landline with the horror movie noises on the voicemail. Nothing was said at all so that could not be construed as a threat. The call with the electronic voice saying "don't go walking down any dark alleys or deserted streets". That's a good piece of advice for all of us. The accusing me of ripping off something I have no access to. Well, that could be a case of mistaken identity or a misunderstanding. The next morning I found said object left on my porch............

And er, um, if I did manage to get access to the account I wouldn't just print out and march off to court. I would print out from some internet cafe and then put in a manilla envelope addressed to myself (typed) w/o a return address and drop in a mailbox near their work. "Jeez, I don't know. Looks like they have a few enemies at work too who ran into something they thought I could use? I just don't know your honor".

Incidentally, the person I suspect (actually know but have no effing proof!!) is no kid at 41 years old.

To me, that's enough to get the police involved. You need somehing on file. If it ever does escalate, since there is already something on file, you will get results quicker. This needs to be documented with the police.

I've got to get a new sig...

Phones
    If I told 'ya.....
    Carriers
    I've used them all...
    Feedback Score

If you honestly have tried your best and cannot get the police to take these calls seriously, then it's time to fight psychological fire with psychological fire. How can they arrest you for doing the same things back to the caller? By that, I don't mean slashing tires, but rather like PattyRN said, buy a Tracfone yourself and start bugging them back.

You have never said throughout this whether you are male or female, nor whether the person harrassing you is male or female, but if you're female and the harrasser is male, you could go about it in a couple different ways.

You could get another female to starting calling him and flirting with him, perhaps get him to forget about his obsession with you. That could be done either anonymously or openly.

You could get a big ugly-sounding male to start making similar threatening-without-being-threatening calls to him on your behalf. "I saw you across town at _____ at 3:00 p.m. yesterday - what the heck are you thinking? You think the whole town doesn't know what you're trying to pull with my <girlfriend, mother, sister, friend, etc>. You should be more careful when you're out running around by yourself." Get the same big ugly-sounding male to secretly leave little packages on the front seat of the guy's car or his front porch. Things like nicely wrapped packages of disgusting things, LOL.

There are some books out there on the internet about ways to get revenge. I would suggest reading them VERY cautiously and only putting into practice things that would NOT be illegal, but would still be annoying and/or scary to be on the receiving end of.

Phones
    Nokia 2600,6010,3585i
    LG Optimus L9,iPhone 3GS & 4Sx2,Palm Pixi Plus
    Nokia Lumia 520, 3220, 6030, 3585i
    Carrier
    GoPhonex4 PagePlusx2 TMo2Go Tracfone Ptel AV
    Feedback Score
    You now the phone is under at&t, but that doesn't mean is tracfone. There is a buch of at&t MVNOs like Oxygen etc. that can be used in your area anyway (if there is native at&t service in your area, they do provide their service there too).

Try just to screen or block the number in your phone so it doesn't ring when a call comes from it. Also you can deplete some of their balance by sending a bunch of e-mails from an anonymous account (gmail, etc.) to thenumber@txt.att.net. Send empty messages or random letters/numbers. Nothing that tells that is from you. If they don't have free incoming messages(most likely they don't), 100 messages or so a day will start making a hole in their pocket.
    Current:Former:
    Hi, my name is Jairzinho and I've been Wireless Contract-free for 14 years!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast