Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score

Lost T-Mobile Prepaid SIM

I lost my T-Mobile prepaid SIM (and phone) a few days ago. I immediately called and informed T-Mobile prepaid that my phone was lost and I attempted to activate a SIM card that I had purchased on Ebay about 7 months ago. The 2 different CSRs that I spoke with informed me that they couldn't activate the SIM card since it appeared to have already been activated.

I asked my friend living in the US to purchase a T-Mobile prepaid SIM activation kit for me. He purchased it and on their website even though it shows a cost of $6.99, when he actually went to pay for the item, it showed up with a final cost of $0.00.

I'm not sure why this happened and what will be the charge to his credit card but my question is: Does anyone know if I will be able to use the SIM card included in this prepaid activation kit as a replacement SIM card for the one that I lost?

I'm assuming that I can do this because based on what I've read, the SIM card is the same and the only difference is that in the prepaid activation kit, an activation number is included with the SIM card.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Fido (monthly): ZTE WF720 Wireless Home Phone

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10 <- CANCELLED over Dispute

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or LG Nexus-4

Bell (tablet plan): LG Nexus-4

My Tech Blog

Phones
    MyTouch 3G
    HTC HD2 & Blackberry 9700
    I have a stock pile, pick one.
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You should be fine. If you run into any problems. Send me a PM. I'll mail you out a brand new SIM card on my behalf.

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpichris
    You should be fine. If you run into any problems. Send me a PM. I'll mail you out a brand new SIM card on my behalf.
    Thanks for the offer. I'll keep that in mind.

Before getting my T-Mobile prepaid SIM/account, I had actually purchased a "new" T-Mobile SIM card from Ebay and wanted to activate it on prepaid but since I didn't have an activation code, I couldn't. I then purchased an already activated T-Mobile prepaid SIM from Ebay and decided to keep the other SIM as a spare. It wasn't until I lost my T-Mobile prepaid SIM that I attempted to get T-Mobile to transfer my balance and expiry date from the lost SIM to the spare SIM. The 2 prepaid CSRs then told me that they couldn't and it seemed as if the SIM was already activated. Since I made the purchase over 6 months ago, I can't do anything in terms of Ebay/PayPal.

This is why I'm trying to get a new T-Mobile SIM card. I live in Canada so it isn't like I can just go to the nearest T-Mobile store and pick one up. When I attempted to purchase it directly from T-Mobile's website, their website did not seem to accommodate purchases from Canada (with shipping to Canada). This is why I asked my friend to purchase it for me and I would pay him for it.

I'm just wondering why when my friend purchased the T-Mobile prepaid activation kit for me, it showed up with a final cost of $0.00. I told him to dispute any charge above $6.99. He mentioned something about me getting a screen telling him to buy a phone which I'm hoping that he didn't fill out since I don't need a phone.

I'm hoping that everything works out with the purchase and I get my balance transferred over to a new T-Mobile SIM card.

Phones
    MyTouch 3G
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    When T-Mobile mails you out the activation kit. You should receive a card with the activation code on it and a brand new unactivated SIM card. I don't recall T-Mobile ever sending people activated Pre Paid sim cards in the mail upon activation.

So long as the SIM is new and unactivated, you can call CC and have them transfer your old account to the new SIM. That shouldn't be a problem as long as you remember the PIN and/or DOB that was setup with the account.
    Last edited by hpichris; 05-11-2009 at 06:03 PM.

Feedback Score
    i have a question, i live in canada and i have a t mobile phone and i activated with rogers prepaid service and its not working and they say i need a code to unlock it. i have no idea how i get the code to unlock it .

Phones
    MyTouch 3G
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoniaMuniram
    i have a question, i live in canada and i have a t mobile phone and i activated with rogers prepaid service and its not working and they say i need a code to unlock it. i have no idea how i get the code to unlock it .
    You'll have to go to a local store that unlocks phones or find out what your model number is and buy an unlock code online. There is always a posibility that a fellow HoFo member will get you a code for free but it all depends on the manufacturer and model of the phone.

Phones
    MyTouch 3G
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Also, once your phone is unlocked, it will remain unlocked. You won't have to re-unlock the phone.

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    So long as the SIM is new and unactivated, you can call CC and have them transfer your old account to the new SIM. That shouldn't be a problem as long as you remember the PIN and/or DOB that was setup with the account.
    Thanks. I remember the PIN since I tried to activate the "new" T-Mobile SIM card that I got from Ebay and T-Mobile prepaid customer care informed me that it appeared as if that SIM was already activated. They asked me for the PIN when I informed them that I lost my phone/SIM and they asked me for the PIN again when I attempted to bring my balance to the "new" T-Mobile SIM card.

Hopefully my friend sends it to me as soon as he receives it which will mean that I should receive it next week.

Phones
    MyTouch 3G
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo
    Thanks. I remember the PIN since I tried to activate the "new" T-Mobile SIM card that I got from Ebay and T-Mobile prepaid customer care informed me that it appeared as if that SIM was already activated. They asked me for the PIN when I informed them that I lost my phone/SIM and they asked me for the PIN again when I attempted to bring my balance to the "new" T-Mobile SIM card.

Hopefully my friend sends it to me as soon as he receives it which will mean that I should receive it next week.

Yeah, let me know how that goes. If you don't receive it (knock on wood), just give me a holler.

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, let me know how that goes. If you don't receive it (knock on wood), just give me a holler.
    Thanks. I received the new SIM card from my friend in the mail yesterday. I called T-Mobile prepaid this morning and they reactivated the account so everything is good.

It did take 2 phone calls for them to actually transfer my previous balance to my new SIM card after they activated the new SIM with the lost phone's number.

My friend and I are still not sure what his credit card will show since the website showed a charge of $0.00 with free shipping included.