Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's it like working in the call center?

Feedback Score

Question What's it like working in the call center?

I just got hired at a Tmobile call center. Does anyone have any feedback on how they like working there? Also, do you have any tips for me?

Phone
    Sony Ericsson TM506 Emerald
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Never work in retention (if your center has it)

It's not worth the extra $1 an hour, I promise you that
    Previous T-Mobile Customer Care Representative

"This job would be great if it wasn't for the ****ing customers" - Randal Graves

"and life is pointless, but what's so wrong with that?" - Stephan Jenkins

" 'Just say no' prevents teenage pregnancy the way 'Have a nice day' cures chronic depression - Faye Wattleton

Speed results from my USB Tethered TM506"

I LOVE 3G!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmobiler
    I just got hired at a Tmobile call center. Does anyone have any feedback on how they like working there? Also, do you have any tips for me?
    Welcome aboard! Yea, I got some tips for you.

I am not sure what kind of shift choices you will have after training, but you must talk to established reps and find out who the best coaches are to work for. Depending on your coach will decide whether you love or hate your job.

I use to love working there. But my current leadership (coach, senior rep, manager) are very negative. I've come out of a coaching feeling like a low-life peon. I've had my senior rep refuse escalations which increases my CRT which I am working so hard to improve upon. I've had my manager place unreasonable expectations on me and ultimatums to go along with them.

I love the company, but leadership desperately needs training in how to effectively lead. We are not robots and should be treated and respected as the individuals we are.

It's a stressful job. Not the customers, but it comes from my team.

Have fun with the customers. On a call, get on their level asap. Make them feel they are dealing with a person like them, and not some big bad tmobile corporation.

Practice on word choice. Makes all the difference.

Customers that are upset and calling with some issue is a perfect opportunity to turn those customers into loyal customers as long as you solve their issue, show concern, empathy, and are sincerely apologetic to their situation. Never be afraid to apologize for someone else's mistake.

good luck
    “He who asks a question may be a fool for five minutes, but he who never asks a question remains a fool forever.”

Tom Connelly

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerhard
    Welcome aboard! Yea, I got some tips for you.
    Never be afraid to apologize for someone else's mistake.
    Whether you're in a call center or a retail store, thats pretty much what you'll be spending the most time doing, since customers are constantly misinformed by many employees.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andr0id
    Whether you're in a call center or a retail store, thats pretty much what you'll be spending the most time doing, since customers are constantly misinformed by many employees.
    Exactly. Either misinformed or uninformed.

"What do you mean my unlimited loyalty plan doesn't have the sms package like my old unlimited plan?".

"I was advised the retail store can override the upgrade pricing and give me the full discount!".

"You mean to tell me these bonus minutes given to me last month were just for my line and not shared with the other family time lines?"

My call center is putting high expectations on the reps for low CRT. As a result, the customers are paying the price. Reps will say anything to get the cust off the phone and a lot of promised adjustments are not done. So I get the call go through the account and do it right. That increases my CRT, and I get punished for it. They might take a trip to Hawaii, while I spend 90 days on probation, losing my bonus, and status in the rankings.

Another tip. Streamline is a guideline. While there are certainly some policies written in stone, there are others that can be flexible. Keep CEO in mind on each call. That is another con of working at t-mobile, reps aren't familiar with CEO. Example: Customer has called three times disputing a $5 late fee advised each time the charges are correct. Been with us for 7 years. He's had $60 in adjustments and $18,000 in payment history.

Give him the credit asap, thank him for choosing t-mobile, and have a great day.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoKoala
    Never work in retention (if your center has it)

It's not worth the extra $1 an hour, I promise you that
    Interesting. We have a CLG in our call center. I'll ask them if they had a choice between general care and customer loyalty and the pay was the same, what would you choose. And 100% of the time they say customer loyalty. However the pay is better, if you get the bonuses which I heard are harder to achieve nowadays, but a friend of mine did make $1K in bonuses last month, and I know a girl there that has averaged $47,000 a year in customer loyalty.

But, yea, it's not for everyone, but the majority in retention wouldn't have it any other way.

Feedback Score
    "I was advised the retail store can override the upgrade pricing and give me the full discount

My call center is putting high expectations on the reps for low CRT. As a result, the customers are paying the price. Reps will say anything to get the cust off the phone
    So THAT's the problem, I was wondering why so many customers are sent to the retail stores when it blatantly says in streamline not to do that...

Feedback Score
    I don't know what the CRT's are like now but when I worked with the PDA Team (3rd party centre) we had to resolve issues in under 12 mins. Yeah, try master resetting a PDA AND reset the email/data settings/sync etc in that time.

ATSG also hated taking ANY calls or tickets from us resulting in some reps punting the call (basically, making up ANYTHING to get the client off the phone...usually send them to a store for a new SIM even though we know it won't do **** all). Those of us who would do anything it takes to fix the problem...were always in trouble.

As far as tips go, follow streamline, make sure you follow any scripting they throw at you (it will help your quality) but also try to be human, and don't get dragged down into the call centre politics and gossip. It is hard to do, but it WILL eat at you after a while. Stay positive.

Good luck with your new job ^^.
    Last edited by Kaylan; 06-07-2009 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Phones
    Nokia Ngage
    Blackberry 6230
    Nokia 3650
    Carrier
    T-MOBILE
    Feedback Score
    Exactly. Either misinformed or uninformed.

"What do you mean my unlimited loyalty plan doesn't have the sms package like my old unlimited plan?".

"I was advised the retail store can override the upgrade pricing and give me the full discount!".

"You mean to tell me these bonus minutes given to me last month were just for my line and not shared with the other family time lines?"

My call center is putting high expectations on the reps for low CRT. As a result, the customers are paying the price. Reps will say anything to get the cust off the phone and a lot of promised adjustments are not done. So I get the call go through the account and do it right. That increases my CRT, and I get punished for it. They might take a trip to Hawaii, while I spend 90 days on probation, losing my bonus, and status in the rankings.

Another tip. Streamline is a guideline. While there are certainly some policies written in stone, there are others that can be flexible. Keep CEO in mind on each call. That is another con of working at t-mobile, reps aren't familiar with CEO. Example: Customer has called three times disputing a $5 late fee advised each time the charges are correct. Been with us for 7 years. He's had $60 in adjustments and $18,000 in payment history.

Give him the credit asap, thank him for choosing t-mobile, and have a great day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaylan
    I don't know what the CRT's are like now but when I worked with the PDA Team (3rd party centre) we had to resolve issues in under 12 mins. Yeah, try master resetting a PDA AND reset the email/data settings/sync etc in that time.

ATSG also hated taking ANY calls or tickets from us resulting in some reps punting the call (basically, making up ANYTHING to get the client off the phone...usually send them to a store for a new SIM even though we know it won't do **** all). Those of us who would do anything it takes to fix the problem...were always in trouble.

As far as tips go, follow streamline, make sure you follow any scripting they throw at you (it will help your quality) but also try to be human, and don't get dragged down into the call centre politics and gossip. It is hard to do, but it WILL eat at you after a while. Stay positive.

Good luck with your new job ^^.
    This is why I'm leaving tmobile, it's not just the management but the company as well, they're starting to be filled with way too many "yes" people in management who aren't giving the realistic view to upper management to come out with a proper time line to fix the problem. In regular customer care if your crt is under 300 seconds you're not doing your job, part of the job is to also do a visual audit and confirm the customer has been right fitted for plan and features on the account. In customer loyalty (my department) we get dumped by care reps who could have handled the account and simply didn't do their load and with no form of accountability in the company (a bad rep can stay being bad as long as their CRT and compliance are good) to punish bad reps tmo will eventually become just like their competition in customer care.

The management are the company, they give a lot of smoke and mirror presentations about customer service and what they claim the customer wants and expect us to swallow their BS. How many times have you been told customers don't mind the cost of the phone or the handset upgrade fees (Really? Is that why we discontinued it for a while?)? If this was the case we wouldn't even offer a reduced price for a contract renewal but the point is that customers do care, and now in a time of economic uncertainty Tmo is raising the cost of data features and messaging and trying to get us to push this onto the customer, we have a limited usb data stick package yet they specific state in policy not to tell customers they can use their phones as a modem and not only would this be cheaper but the customer wouldn't have to worry about overage (which leads to LOYAL CUSTOMERS!). Customers call in about wanting a lower bill yet we have to offer the loyalty plans for customer's that are marked as ULO even when it doesn't benefit them (How many times have you had customer ask how many times they have to refuse this, yet we still had to keep offering it?) and we can't backdate to their benefit (we are so damned concerned as a company to make the money now that we're not thinking about keeping the customer long term, by reducing their bill now). Tmo lost it's direction, now there are prepaid companies who just have to bolster their handset line up and would be the better value, we could make it by doing things in a customer value oriented way which is great customer service but we won't. Tmo is moving towards customer service in a lip service fashion, no wonder why we're viewed a hair above used car salesmen in customer service as an industry.
    Please call 1-800-937-8997 on a different phone so we can help you...

Need to know how to interface your phone to your device.

Need help setting up your email client on the phone click on this for setting it up.

What is your proxy setting then go to what to input for the settings

Phones
    moto a630
    moto v300
    moto v360
    Carrier
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score

Wink umm retention?

i work in retention /customer loyalty it's more than a $1 difference great bonuses if you're good, and you're empowered to do almost anything if it balances c.e.o ...........you couldn't get me back in care
    I may work for the Big Pink T however my opinions are my own and not in any way associated with T-Mobile

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylan

I work in Blackberry/PDA myself, and am also on the DDC queue... on DDC Queue (sidekicks) I enjoy the fact that no problem is really unsolvable, but hate that the customers are frequently the biggest problem.. But at least CRT won't suffer.

On Blackberry/PDA, it is IMPOSSIBLE... I had a side-by-side today where the coach was about to give me a 5 on timely after solving one problem, then the customer brought up an email issue that ended up taking 15 minutes more to fix, bumped me to a 4 due to length of the call... As if you can EVER have a short call on PDA queue!! NOT POSSIBLE!

Worse is when l2's and supervisors refuse to follow policy or support you. I've had the same issues with ATSG looking for any reason to refuse a ticket. The most common is "have you tried the a SIM swap"... nowhere in Primus or Streamline does that a SIM swap is required before transferring to ATSG, in fact it specifically states NOT to do it unless directed to do so by your troubleshooting, as it is frequently a waste of the customer's time.

I am certain I will get voice'd today as well, due to horrible support by my supervisors today, an employee account called with a complicated issue that required a coach approval to deal with. All coaches were at lunch at the same time! So I had to call the employee account back, I advised a coach I would need assistance, got the person back on the line & ready for the issue to be dealt with - and the coach that was going to help me was suddenly "busy"... she was furious by this point and hung up on me, called back and got another rep. If I get voiced, it will likely be a mistreat, as I had to put her on hold repeatedly while I was being TOLD a coach was on the way, then had to call her back once I found no coaches were available, then when I called back, I was told again to ask for a callback so a coach could deal with the issue, and given NO choice since I did not have access on my login to perform the necessary fix.

Enjoy your job, but be ready to find another one at a moment's notice. TMobile will demand your head for the slightest infraction, with NO warnings, and no matter how good you are, you have to depend on the people around you as well, and they WILL screw you.

Already looking for another job myself even though I'm one of the best agents at my site and seriously enjoy helping customers with their issues. The fact I can get fired at a moment's notice with no warning due to the idiocy of the people I work with is just not going to work for me.

Feedback Score
    Yea, the culture in our center has changed drastically. There use to be an equal balance between us as individuals and the numbers. Now it's all about the numbers.

My first call the other day had reached the 25 minute mark, next think I know I am surrounded by leadership telling me I got to get off the phone. I was allmost there but my customer had a few more questions. I was pro-active on that call with a great visual audit. Advised him of the promo f/t 1800 min with mob2mob and my favs for just $89.99. That is what he was paying now only he had 1K minutes. I added it.

Then he brought concern over his kids using too many minutes, so I suggested the family allowances, which I added for him. He was a new customer and didn't know how to register on my-tmobile.com so I walked him through the process. I tried my best to anticipate questions he might have but he had other questions as well.

So I get huge pressure on my first call of the day. There were still 9.5 hours left to bring it down. CRT is a monthly average but not in our center.

Also a few weeks ago, my senior rep refused to take an escalation after my customer requested for one 4 times during that call. BTW, the senior rep was listening to that call. That hurt my crt, and provided a terrible customer experience. Had to pay the coach and HR a visit on that one, damn if I was going to get accussed of a customer mistreat.

I love T-Mobile. I do have faith in the upper management. I just wish they had a better idea of how poorly we are being managed and coached by certain individuals. A lot of CSR'S are job seeking because we are all walking on pins and needles.

Feedback Score
    I work in a retail store, and just by reading what you guys are saying it sounds like absolute hell being in a call center. I would never survive, I end up being with customers for like 30 minutes to an hour at a time, its just hard for me to rush through things. But that's rediculous that supervisors would just refuse to take a call because they didn't feel like it. Customer care supervisors sound like real azzholes, they're lazy and are soley focused on getting the customer off the phone quickly rather than actually helping them out.

It not surprising anymore that we get customers sent to our store everyday that are told something completely wrong from customer care, since all that really matters is getting the customer off the phone by saying anything.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andr0id
    It not surprising anymore that we get customers sent to our store everyday that are told something completely wrong from customer care, since all that really matters is getting the customer off the phone by saying anything.
    Wouldn't go that far.... our center has had some "issues" recently (for example, management telling us to use silent hold aka Mute instead of hold until we got slapped by tmobile as I expected since that's considered a mistreat), and quality dropping..

So they've given us free reign (mostly) on CRT until our scores come up. I am furious when people are sent to stores incorrectly, because it just adds to customer frustration. The only time I send someone to a store is if it is specifically called for (such as to try a SIM swap and the cst doesn't have another phone) or if they simply cannot understand something (such as finding the LDI on a phone).

I just wish customers who get mad at us for stupid reasons would realize that they're just making it harder for us to help them. The way I look at it, I'm fighting for the customer against the system - and as long as I follow policy & CEO I think that's the way T-Mobile would prefer it. I do get Kudos and regular 4's in Concern. I typically suffer in Timely due to the fact I go straight to the fix (9/10 times I'm right) instead of always following TS flows that I know aren't relevant - and this causes a LOT of friction with pointy-haired-boss types who can't vary from the script.

So... not all agents/departments/sites just want to get the customer off the phone - but some do. I find I can spend a lot more time with customers who need it because I can get the easy fixes off the phone very quickly which brings my overall CRT down - which is why looking at the average instead of individual calls is important.

One important thing to consider is that if you say something just to get a customer off the phone - your quality WILL suffer. This is because NCSQ typically only grades calls that are under 20 minutes. Once you pass the 30 minute mark, you can pretty much do whatever you want as long as the customer or another agent doesn't voice you.

Feedback Score
    I was wondering, do notations customer care reps put in accounts get reviewed by upper management? I was doing a manual upgrade the other day for a customer and the care rep said she had to be careful what she wrote in the memo so she didn't get in trouble. Do supervisors really look over what each memo says or can care reps really just write anything?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast