Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting random calls, and if I call back, I get "invalid number"

Phone
    iPhone 4, VX-10000, VX-8350
    Carrier
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Getting random calls, and if I call back, I get "invalid number"

This has only happened a few times, but it is starting to annoy me. The first time it happened a long time ago when I got a call from a 1-800 number during the day (couldn't answer the phone) They didn't leave a voice mail, so I called them back that afternoon. I then got a "Verizon Wireless, the number you have dialed is invalid" kind of message. So I just ignored it and that was the end of that.

Now I am getting calls from the phone numbers like "214-221-9430" (that is the one that called me today) Again, they call when I can't answer the phone, and don't leave a voice mail. Later today I call the number back and get an old fashioned recording: "Boo...da...beep..., we're sorry, the number you have dialed may require an area code, then the 7 digit number." And than hangs up.

What is up with all these random numbers calling me, and then when I call back, I always get some type of recording saying its not a valid number??? It must be valid if they called me!!!

Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas?

Thanks!
    -Scott

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like SPAM callers who fake caller ID's.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Phones
    iPhone 4
    HTC TP2Centro,SCH-u620,LG vx9800
    LG vx3200,LG tm510 (best phone ever)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Many business PBX systems mask caller id numbers. The number you see may not bear any resemblance to the actual number the call is coming from. It may be the number of a trunk line or other similar thing. Just because a number shows up on caller id does not make it a valid number for receiving calls.

Phones
    LG
    LG
    Carrier
    Straight talk
    Feedback Score
    Spam call about phony call waranties. When you get calls like this, type the number into google and you can usually find out what it is.

Phone
    iphone 4
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sdschramm
    This has only happened a few times, but it is starting to annoy me. The first time it happened a long time ago when I got a call from a 1-800 number during the day (couldn't answer the phone) They didn't leave a voice mail, so I called them back that afternoon. I then got a "Verizon Wireless, the number you have dialed is invalid" kind of message. So I just ignored it and that was the end of that.

Now I am getting calls from the phone numbers like "214-221-9430" (that is the one that called me today) Again, they call when I can't answer the phone, and don't leave a voice mail. Later today I call the number back and get an old fashioned recording: "Boo...da...beep..., we're sorry, the number you have dialed may require an area code, then the 7 digit number." And than hangs up.

What is up with all these random numbers calling me, and then when I call back, I always get some type of recording saying its not a valid number??? It must be valid if they called me!!!

Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas?

Thanks!
    -Scott
    do a reverse lookup of the number at whitepages.com...maybe get an idea who or what is calling you that way...
    let's get this party started

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, forgot to mention that I HAVE googled and researched the number, but only found people asking the same thing. No answer.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    It's a SPAM issue for car warranty's... if you actually say you want to speak to a rep and ask for them to remove your number, they just hang up and call right back 5 mins later.

I ended up letting go of my number and changing it because it was so bad, it was up to around 15-20 times a day at the end there.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: CenturyLink DSL at Home

Phones
    Motorola Droid 3; Samsung Convoy
    Moto W385
    Moto E815
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Is your cellphone number on the "Do not Call" list? If not, put it on there.

Phones
    LG
    LG
    Carrier
    Straight talk
    Feedback Score
    That does absolutely nothing to stop these spammers. About all you can do is save the number to your contacts and set it to no ring

Phones
    Motorola Droid 3; Samsung Convoy
    Moto W385
    Moto E815
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you say so....... All i know is I have gotten a spam call in over two years since putting all the cell phone numbers under my plan on the "DO NOT CALL" list. No harm in doing it.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownfb
    If you say so....... All i know is I have gotten a spam call in over two years since putting all the cell phone numbers under my plan on the "DO NOT CALL" list. No harm in doing it.
    Nope, all of my numbers are on the list.. these are SPAM, and they're calling every number they can get a hold of..

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Spammers who setup their phone systems outside the US are currently not covered by the Do Not Call List and typically they fake their caller ID's. Apparently, that loophole is being investigated by the government. If you no longer get spam calls then think of it as good luck and only that.

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Hmmmm.. Maybe the problem has been solved???:

http://lifehacker.com/5256029/ftc-fi...phone-spammers

Feedback Score

The pic on that link looked like me when I got a call...

Quote Originally Posted by sdschramm
    Hmmmm.. Maybe the problem has been solved???:

http://lifehacker.com/5256029/ftc-fi...phone-spammers
    Last year I got a call from one of those goofballs, took it and listened for a couple of minutes. After I got a couple of details, I told him he was calling my Verizon cell phone and told him to stop and I'd report his company. The call ended, and I've never heard back from them or any other slick richard.

Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget you can add the number to your spam controls in your My Verizon account on their website

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast