Thread: prepaid Rogers vs Fido vs $15 plan

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

prepaid Rogers vs Fido vs $15 plan

what's the difference between Rogers prepaid and Fido prepaid
    is it worth it to get a $15 plan from Fido if I have bad credit
    what's the lowest monthly plan that you can get from Rogers thanks.

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers | Red Pocket Mobile | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaunt911
    what's the difference between Rogers prepaid and Fido prepaid
    There are a few differences.

When I was looking for a prepaid phone for myself, even though I had a monthly plan with Fido (and would gain Fido Dollars for prepaid), I went with Rogers because based on my usage, Rogers seemed to be better for me.

What I liked about Rogers was that for a single payment of $100, I got an expiry date of 365 days. Fido doesn't have a 1 year expiry date option.

Rogers requires only the caller to pay if both are on Rogers prepaid. With Fido, both the caller and the receiver pay regardless of who the caller is with.

Rogers doesn't charge extra for MSN chat messages relayed via SMS whereas Fido charges extra for this.

Rogers charges when a caller gets transferred to voice mail. Apparently Fido does not. Rogers charges to retrieve the voice mail message even from a landline phone and apparently Fido does not. I didn't know this when I went with Rogers but I just cancelled my voice mail and relied on the free (included) call display.

The rates are relatively the same between the 2.

I went to Rogers prepaid primarily because of the 1 year expiry date and the free incoming SMS (which will no longer exist sometime next month). All the other aspects were just "bonuses".
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" LG Nexus-4

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

My Tech Blog

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    SE K770i (stolen)
    SE W200/T310/T300 (2003-2009)
    Carriers
    Fido
    Maxis
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo
    ...free incoming SMS (which will no longer exist sometime next month)...
    Can you please elaborate on that. I am thinking of signing up a prepaid package with either Rogers, Petro-Canada or 7Eleven. And would be interested to hear about this. Currently Rogers is charging 15˘ outgoing vs the 5˘ outgoing, 5˘ incoming of the other two.

Feedback Score
    keep in mind that if you go prepaid your get voicemail and caller-id included. Those "options" are worth $10 and $12 on fido and rogers respectively if you go on a monthly plan. For me prepaid is a no brainer if you want the most bang for your buck

7-11 speakout is by far the cheapest if you live near one of their stores due to their 365 day expiry on all but their cheapest time cards (I unfortunately don't live anywhere near a 7-11 which is ridiculous because I live in the middle of Burnaby). Rogers is the next most affordable if you can put down $100 at a time to get that 365 day expiry.

with rogers you can get text message bundles to reduce the cost of text messages from $.15 if you know you are going to use them.

Only go on a postpaid plan if you:

1. are going to use most of your minutes every month
    2. can deal without caller-id and voicemail

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    SE K770i (stolen)
    Carriers
    Fido
    Maxis
    Feedback Score
    My main plan is a grandfathered Sprint land/mobile combo. I hardly ever used more than 20 minutes of my 100 free minutes on my mobile line. My current research into another cheap plan for my son has made me consider the option to get out of this Sprint combo and consider 2 new prepaid mobile lines by either Rogers, PetroCan or 7Eleven and a separate VOIP land line. I should be able to do this cheaper than what I currently paid per month!

That said, 7eleven and PetroCan don't make it easy to get on their plan for me. So Rogers is going to charge 15˘ outgoing and 15˘ incoming making a total of 30˘ per round trip sms! That's hard to swallow but with the other teo operating off Rogers network, it might just be a matter of time.

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Oink
    Can you please elaborate on that. I am thinking of signing up a prepaid package with either Rogers, Petro-Canada or 7Eleven. And would be interested to hear about this. Currently Rogers is charging 15˘ outgoing vs the 5˘ outgoing, 5˘ incoming of the other two.
    Starting July 7th, Rogers will start charging $0.15 for each incoming SMS received if you don't have a text bundle/plan. This applies to both prepaid accounts and postpaid (monthly) accounts. I believe that the cheapest text bundle on Rogers prepaid is $3/month for 30 SMS messages and unlimited (or 2500) incoming.

I still haven't decided whether I'll get the text bundle with my prepaid or not. I'm currently subscribed to a few SMS services and get about 15 SMS per day but I'm thinking of cancelling the SMS services on July 6th.

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    SE K770i (stolen)
    Carriers
    Fido
    Maxis
    Feedback Score
    ...I still haven't decided whether I'll get the text bundle with my prepaid or not. I'm currently subscribed to a few SMS services and get about 15 SMS per day but I'm thinking of cancelling the SMS services on July 6th.
    Basically, it hasn't made you think of switching to PetCan/7Eleven and do their $100/365

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    My main plan is a grandfathered Sprint land/mobile combo. I hardly ever used more than 20 minutes of my 100 free minutes on my mobile line. My current research into another cheap plan for my son has made me consider the option to get out of this Sprint combo and consider 2 new prepaid mobile lines by either Rogers, PetroCan or 7Eleven and a separate VOIP land line. I should be able to do this cheaper than what I currently paid per month!
    If you are getting 2 prepaid lines and expect to call one another a lot (or a fair amount), I suggest getting Rogers prepaid. Rogers prepaid charges the the caller for calling a Rogers prepaid number. The person who has Rogers prepaid and receives a call from another Rogers prepaid number doesn't pay for the call (as long as he/she is within his/her local area).

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    SE K770i (stolen)
    Carriers
    Fido
    Maxis
    Feedback Score
    If you are getting 2 prepaid lines and expect to call one another a lot (or a fair amount), I suggest getting Rogers prepaid. Rogers prepaid charges the the caller for calling a Rogers prepaid number. The person who has Rogers prepaid and receives a call from another Rogers prepaid number doesn't pay for the call (as long as he/she is within his/her local area).
    The new subscription will be for my son to use during emergency and arrange pickup after school. I foresee more SMS than voice call as VM will most likely be turned off and phone will most likely be switched off during school hours...

My land line is now serviced by Rogers, I wonder if that makes a difference to my plan selection. I paid about $60/month for very basic service with VM and I will switch if I find a better price elsewhere. I am aiming for less than $100/month for 3 numbers - 2 mobile lines + 1 land line

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Basically, it hasn't made you think of switching to PetCan/7Eleven and do their $100/365
    I would only be able to get Petro-Canada since 7-Eleven is not available in the province of Quebec. I got Petro-Canada for my parents and once their airtime runs out, I will probably get them Rogers prepaid because Petro-Canada increased their per minute rate and decreased their expiry dates.

It hasn't made me think of switching to Petro-Canada since with SMS, I can just deactivate my SMS subscription to various services which will cut down my incoming SMS to probably maximum of 5 per month.

For me, Rogers prepaid even with the upcoming charge for incoming SMS is still more beneficial to me than Petro-Canada Mobility. There is also a $1 per 14 day workaround so that every time you deposit $1 worth of airtime, your expiry date resets to 14 days with Rogers prepaid. This means that for very infrequent users, they can get access to a cellphone for roughly $26 per year. Rogers prepaid also has SMS packages where Petro-Canada doesn't and Rogers prepaid is free incoming calls from other Rogers prepaid users where Petro-Canada charges for all calls received.

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    SE K770i (stolen)
    Carriers
    Fido
    Maxis
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I will consider that. I am in Montreal but will be in Kingston, Ontario at least twice a year, so top up is not an issue as long as they maintain their 365 days expiry. Rogers does make it easier for me at this stage.