Thread: Web browsing vs Data plan

Feedback Score

Web browsing vs Data plan

Hello hello. Well it's time for me to get a new phone, and I'm not exactly sure what I want to go with. Currently, I'm on the Select Family Plan, with unlimited texting but no internet. I would really like to be able to go on websites, check my email, and go on aim with my phone. Other apps too, like sports scores and weather would be nice. For an extra $10 a month per line, I could get unlimited web browsing and mobile email with the Connect Plan.

What is the difference between unlimited web browsing and a data plan, like the one for $30 when you get a Blackberry? I'm basically up in the air whether I want to pay the extra $30 a month and have a Blackberry, or pay an extra $10 a month and get something like the Omnia. Thanks for the help

edit: other things that would be cool, but not necessary: youtube, Pandora, Flickr

Phones
    Verizon iPhone
    Droid Maxx
    Carriers
    Verizon Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stickperson
    Hello hello. Well it's time for me to get a new phone, and I'm not exactly sure what I want to go with. Currently, I'm on the Select Family Plan, with unlimited texting but no internet. I would really like to be able to go on websites, check my email, and go on aim with my phone. Other apps too, like sports scores and weather would be nice. For an extra $10 a month per line, I could get unlimited web browsing and mobile email with the Connect Plan.

What is the difference between unlimited web browsing and a data plan, like the one for $30 when you get a Blackberry? I'm basically up in the air whether I want to pay the extra $30 a month and have a Blackberry, or pay an extra $10 a month and get something like the Omnia. Thanks for the help
    The Omnia is a smartphone and will also cost $30 a month for the data plan. The Connect and Premium plans are for feature phones only as is the $15/month VCAST VPak.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Tao is correct. Any PDA/Smartphone will require the minimum $29.99 email & web data plan.

As far as the difference between the unlimited web browsing and data plan, there really is no difference on the service side. You get unlimited data either way it's just that smartphones, as opposed to dumbphones, can better utilize the data. Smartphone devices are more full featured and so they can/will use more data.

Feedback Score
    Are the feature phones just these ones: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...tion=priceSort

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yessir!

10 char

Feedback Score
    Hm. Any personal opinions on which route to take?

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    i say if your willing to pay the extra 10 dollars for the unlimited web, get the voyager. It works real great. ON youtube, and other websites like myspace and facebook. or wait to get some of the new phones coming out this summer. EnvTouch, Env3, Alias2 (out now).

Phones
    LG enV Touch (current)
    Samsung SCH-U620 (retired)
    Samsung SCH-A950 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm kind of in the same boat as OP, although I don't want to go with the $29.99 email and web plan.

I'm on AC plan now and was thinking of going with the Versa. Dare is a year old, and I don't need the Voyager's physical QWERTY since I don't do a lot of texting. The Versa's detachable QWERTY will probably go in the drawer.

I'm just wondering if ditching the AC plan for the NW is a bad idea. And if the new firmware makes the Versa touchscreen any better. I hated it when I played with it in the store the other day.

Feedback Score
    I just talked to someone from Verizon and found out if I want to upgrade to unlimited web browsing on my family plan while everyone else on the plan stays with the current plan, I will pay $15 a month, not $10. It's only $10 per line if everybody on the plan upgrades.
    I ran the math and here is what I got for total price paid for the phone itself + unlimited data/unlimited web browsing

Voyager: (24 months * $15/month) + $130 (for phone) = $490
    Blackberry (assuming my brother gets one so we each pay $50 for the phone): (24 * 30) + 50 = $770
    So if I got the BB instead of the Voyager, I would be paying an extra $140 a year. What for really? Instant email notification, I guess better overall web browsing capabilities, maybe faster internet, and better apps?

Phone
    VZW Galaxy Nexus / Google Nexus 7
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Keep in mind that only the primary line need upgrade, so, for example.. if the primary line goes Premium, all the rest become select for 9.99/mo

My Feedback

Free eBook, worth a read.