Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: HELP: Dropped Phone And Screen Is Cracked Within A Month!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    546
    Phones
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    HELP: Dropped Phone And Screen Is Cracked Within A Month!

    My sister just signed a 2 year contract less than 30 days ago and got a new phone. This morning she dropped her phone and the screen is now cracked! Please what can she do here? Would she be able to phone Fido and get it replaced? If they won't replace it would she be able to switch her contract over to Rogers and resign with Rogers and get a new phone at discount?

    The phone is only less than 3 weeks old, this is really tragic.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    1,354
    Phone
    iPhone 6 64GB
    Carrier
    Fido, Koodo
    Feedback Score
    0
    Time to buy an unlocked phone... Fido warranty doesn't cover physical damage, and you can't switch to Rogers having less than a month of service with Fido.
    trekkie604 [ Phone Photos ]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec (Canada)
    Posts
    6,443
    Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes, it is time to buy an unlocked phone or an inexpensive Fido phone.

    If you paid your bill with your credit card and your credit card has accidental damage, you can see whether it is covered but it is my personal feeling (hopefully I'm wrong) that it won't be covered because you received the new phone at a discount by agreeing to a 2 year contract and you did not purchase the phone outright. It doesn't hurt to try this route if you paid by credit card and your credit card offers this type of protection... the only thing that you'll waste is time.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

    Fido (monthly): ZTE WF720 Wireless Home Phone

    Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

    Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10 <- CANCELLED over Dispute

    Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

    T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or LG Nexus-4

    Bell (tablet plan): LG Nexus-4


    My Tech Blog

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    6,136
    Phones
    Apple iPhone 5
    Apple iPhone 5
    Apple iPhone 4
    Carriers
    Fido Solutions Inc.
    Feedback Score
    0
    What phone model she brokes? I have a question...why your sister should be able to switch provider at no charge following a phone damage?

    Quote Originally Posted by guardianflash
    My sister just signed a 2 year contract less than 30 days ago and got a new phone. This morning she dropped her phone and the screen is now cracked! Please what can she do here? Would she be able to phone Fido and get it replaced? If they won't replace it would she be able to switch her contract over to Rogers and resign with Rogers and get a new phone at discount?

    The phone is only less than 3 weeks old, this is really tragic.
    Disclaimer: All my posts, replies, comments and/or opinions expressed on www.howardforums.com are my own contribution only. The views expressed on this page do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of Fido, its management or employees.
    Fritz Z24...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,167
    Carriers
    Fido, B-Mobile(Japan), Maxis, China Mobile HK,One2Free
    Bouygues, Vodafone Japan, TIM
    Feedback Score
    0
    the billing is such that the full retail price is shown on the bill as "handset charge" and a separate credit for AgreementHandset (sic.). I would imagine the full retail amount will be covered by the credit card, if you use a card that provides purchase protection.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    546
    Phones
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Z24
    What phone model she brokes? I have a question...why your sister should be able to switch provider at no charge following a phone damage?
    It's hopeless. I guess Fido won't replace it. It's the LG Neon with the keyboard. She was so happy with her new phone. It's over now, only lasted less than 3 weeks.

    About the switching provider thing, I think, I'm not sure, but I think if we're still in a contract we can ask Fido to switch to Rogers and resign with Rogers. I'm not sure if this is true, if I'm wrong please correct me. Switching to Rogers through Fido there's no need to pay cancellation fee. At least that's what I read on howardforums.com.

    Edit: I went to a Fido store and told the people there about it. The rep there told me to bring it in for him to see. Maybe he'll be kind enough to help and replace it? But then again that's a long shot.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    73
    Feedback Score
    0
    Fido won't replace it. And to go from fido to rogers you need to be in the contract for a year and then you can move over without paying.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    546
    Phones
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by allegros
    Fido won't replace it. And to go from fido to rogers you need to be in the contract for a year and then you can move over without paying.
    Thx for your reply. I guess she can't switch since she signed 3 weeks ago. I have been with Fido for 3 years I'll be switching this Summer.

    A LG Neon is only $175 without contract. My account and my sister's are joint now, our Fido dollars are combined. She used to be on prepaid and all her Fido dollars added onto mine. Only options now is use the 45 Fido dollars and get a new LG Neon for her which after tax would still be $150. On Craiglist people are selling brand new Fido LG Neon for $150. Use Fido dollars and get it for $150, or get it on craiglist for the same price and save the Fido dollars. Don't know how reliable these craiglist sellers are.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    11,902
    Carriers
    Fido (Snoopy's Dog House)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Fido used to have an in-store repair facility, but the company has decided they no longer wanted to keep this running. Now your only option is to have the phone sent away to the manufacturers repair centre, which takes A) Longer and B) Costs more to repair than the old method.
    My Feedback
    I put the "Ho" back in "HOFO"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    336
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by guardianflash
    On Craiglist people are selling brand new Fido LG Neon for $150. Use Fido dollars and get it for $150, or get it on craiglist for the same price and save the Fido dollars. Don't know how reliable these craiglist sellers are.
    You could also consider looking in our own Buy/Sell/Trade forum. Take a look in the GSM section: http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    82
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by guardianflash
    It's hopeless. I guess Fido won't replace it. It's the LG Neon with the keyboard. She was so happy with her new phone. It's over now, only lasted less than 3 weeks.

    About the switching provider thing, I think, I'm not sure, but I think if we're still in a contract we can ask Fido to switch to Rogers and resign with Rogers. I'm not sure if this is true, if I'm wrong please correct me. Switching to Rogers through Fido there's no need to pay cancellation fee. At least that's what I read on howardforums.com.

    Edit: I went to a Fido store and told the people there about it. The rep there told me to bring it in for him to see. Maybe he'll be kind enough to help and replace it? But then again that's a long shot.

    you cannot switch over just 3 weeks into a contract. You have to be with Fido for at least a year before you are considered to have the ECF waived

    I think the best would be buying a new phone or send it out to the manufacturer to get it fixed... which is not under warranty so you'll be paying an arm and a leg for it. I think it may be cheaper for a new phone

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,261
    Phones
    Bold 9900
    Bold 9900, Bold 9000, E71-2
    6301, 6230b, V400
    Carrier
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    0
    A quick google yielded a cell shop in TO that sells new Neon screens. $75 includes installation.

    http://cellrepair.ca/product_info.php?products_id=38

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    546
    Phones
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    A quick google yielded a cell shop in TO that sells new Neon screens. $75 includes installation.

    http://cellrepair.ca/product_info.php?products_id=38
    Thanks for trying to help, but I'm in Vancouver.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,261
    Phones
    Bold 9900
    Bold 9900, Bold 9000, E71-2
    6301, 6230b, V400
    Carrier
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    0
    Use google and search for cell phone repair shops in Vaqncouver, call and ask..here's one you can try...

    http://www.cell-phone-repair.ca/

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    546
    Phones
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Use google and search for cell phone repair shops in Vaqncouver, call and ask..here's one you can try...

    http://www.cell-phone-repair.ca/
    thank you, u r so kind. But, not sure repair it or get new one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks