N86, N82 (backup)
    Sold Nokia >> , N97,N900, E72, 5800, E71, N73, N80
    TMobile SDA
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Truphone Anywhere
    Feedback Score

5800 Wifi Settings, auto connecting

I finally received my 5800 from Dell, and am setting it up. I cant seem to figure out how to get it to connect to my home wifi when I go to Web. I have entered the Wep key and I am able to surf. But I cant get it to connect to my wifi as the default access point. Under settings, I have the options of "ask every time" "Internet" (which is ATT) and "WAP Services"

On my N82, I have a "user defined" option that lets me select my home wifi. This way It automatically connects to that wifi whenever I open the web app.

Is this just a problem with 5800? It takes multiple taps to get my homescreen up and running. Compared to the n82, where I just make a long press of the zero button and in a couple of seconds I am at my home page and connected to my homes wifi.

Phones
    HTC Sensation, Amaze, LG Optimus V, Samsung Fascinate, Samsung Epic 4G, Nokia 5800, 3620, 6230, 8290
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Go to Settings, Connectivity, Destinations, Options, Manage, New destination.

From there, make a new one called "Wi-fi" or whatever you like. I added the coffee cup icon. Move your home's Wi-fi connection into this new "destination", and you can now select this destination as default for anything that needs to be connected to the internet.

Phones
    N86, N82 (backup)
    TMobile SDA
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Truphone Anywhere
    Feedback Score
    thanks, that worked.

I dont know if I am going to be able to make the transition from my n82. It seems like everything I do on the 5800 takes a lot more effort.

I am going to try to give it a week and decide after that, whether or not to keep it.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    "Is this just a problem with 5800? It takes multiple taps to get my homescreen up and running. Compared to the n82, where I just make a long press of the zero button and in a couple of seconds I am at my home page and connected to my homes wifi."

It takes one more tap, you can just hit the dialer and press zero from there or hit the little light to the right of the name Express Music top right and select the web icon from the drop down. There you also have access to the music, images, video and online servicing like flickr and Ovi.

Phones
    N86, N82 (backup)
    TMobile SDA
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Truphone Anywhere
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, I know about those shortcuts. before I set up the "new destination" with my home wifi, It would take take 3 steps.
    1-select Express Music Shortcut
    2-select Web
    3-select Access point.

On my n82, I could just press and hold the zero button.

I have web as one of my shortcuts on the homescreen. Now it just takes one press again to be on the web.

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I dunno how i set it up, but when i am away from home and use data it uses att internet, and when at home it defaults to my wifi. Its great having this smoothly built in.
    Current Device: Nexus One
    Phone History: |N97 Mini| |5800| |E71-2| |N95-4| |N95-3| |N75| |6131| |6230| |SE T616|

| My HoFo Feedback |

Phones
    HTC Sensation, Amaze, LG Optimus V, Samsung Fascinate, Samsung Epic 4G, Nokia 5800, 3620, 6230, 8290
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This hasn't happened for me before; I'd love to have it function that way!

What did you set as your default access points? It did not work for me in this way out of the box.

Phones
    N86, N82 (backup)
    TMobile SDA
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Truphone Anywhere
    Feedback Score
    I dont know about you guys, but I really feel like I am using a totally different device than what I am use to from nokia. With the combination of touchscreen and the other software changes are just different enough to make the learning curve for the 5800 a little harder.
    I think its because I have been using the n82.

Phones
    N97
    5800XM
    N82
    Carrier
    T-Mobile (UK)
    Feedback Score
    To set the access points up do the following-
    Go to settings - connectivity - destinations
    The "internet" destination that is already set up is the one that I chose to edit.
    Within that i've got it set up to use 3 different access points, it checks for my home wifi first, followed by my work wifi, and finally, if neither of those are available it connects through my network providers GPRS/3G.
    To do this, or set whatever access points you want, open the "internet" destination, press options then New access point. It'll then check for any available access points. Select the one you want to add and it'll put it in the list. Do that as many times as you need until you've added all the different ones that you'll regularly be using.
    Next, use options - organise, to change the order of priority.
    Finally, go back - highlight the "internet" destination - options - default connection.
    I know it sounds like a lot to go through but it really doesn't take more than a minute or two, and it really is worth it!
    I hope that all makes sense and isn't too difficult to follow. I'm very tired

Phones
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ohh, yeah, I forgot about the priorities. I remember now why I made a new destination for all my wi-fi access points: sometimes, the WLAN scanner wasn't strong enough to find my Wi-Fi signal, and would go directly to AT&T internet. Being on pay per use, I can't afford to let this happen (literally), so it's safer to just select the wifi connection manually.

Phones
    N86, N82 (backup)
    TMobile SDA
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Truphone Anywhere
    Feedback Score
    Steve does this do the same thing for your email? Will it use my wifi when I am at home and automatically switch to ATT internet when I am out?
    thanks

Phones
    N97
    5800XM
    N82
    Carrier
    T-Mobile (UK)
    Feedback Score
    It works for everything that goes online, email and apps included
    My 5800 never asks about going online anymore, ever! (actually thats a lie, it asks when I open Opera Mini)
    And yes, as long as you set your wifi as priority 1 and your ATT connection as a priority 2, it'll do exactly that.

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steve4130
    To set the access points up do the following-
    Go to settings - connectivity - destinations
    The "internet" destination that is already set up is the one that I chose to edit.
    Within that i've got it set up to use 3 different access points, it checks for my home wifi first, followed by my work wifi, and finally, if neither of those are available it connects through my network providers GPRS/3G.
    To do this, or set whatever access points you want, open the "internet" destination, press options then New access point. It'll then check for any available access points. Select the one you want to add and it'll put it in the list. Do that as many times as you need until you've added all the different ones that you'll regularly be using.
    Next, use options - organise, to change the order of priority.
    Finally, go back - highlight the "internet" destination - options - default connection.
    I know it sounds like a lot to go through but it really doesn't take more than a minute or two, and it really is worth it!
    I hope that all makes sense and isn't too difficult to follow. I'm very tired
    Yes this is exactly how i have it setup. So my main connection is "internet" and it defaults to my home wifi first, and then goes to att internet second. So this means anytime i'm at home it uses the wifi and everywhere else it uses cell data. Its really smooth and works for any and all parts of the phone that uses data. Email, web, gravity twitter, opera mini, etc. Just add your wifi to the INTERNET destination and make it first priority and put cell data as second. Make sure you use att internet and not media net as the second one.

Carrier
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snotick
    Steve does this do the same thing for your email? Will it use my wifi when I am at home and automatically switch to ATT internet when I am out?
    thanks

Hey I did exactly as you have mentioned but it still asks me to connect to wifi or internet each time I open mybrowser.... what am I doing wrong

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well for that you have to go into browser settings and set your default connection so it doesn't ask anymore. In this case your new destination.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast