Thread: Check Call Restrictions -34 (?!)

Feedback Score

Check Call Restrictions -34 (?!)

Hi, I am new to Tracfones and this is my first cell phone in about 8 years. I stopped using one but now need one for emergencies and so forth now that it's impossible to find pay phones. I didn't need any special features (photos, custom rings, texting, etc). So I got the W260 (NOT g) from Walmart. This after doing alot of research and opting for the bare bones phone. It was only $14 and .97 shipping and included a leather case, car charger and DFL.

So far, seems perfect though I have only tested it once. That is how little I use the phone. But the other day, I went to use it in an area I am sure I should have gotten a signal (an area I got a signal on a Nokia 8 years ago!) and there were no bars on the signal icon and when I typed in a number and tried to send, the screen just went to "Check Call Restrictions -34)

Now I thought the beauty of the Tracfone was how it can jump networks. There should have been SOME network in this area.

I am not finding much on this error via Google though I am finding questions on other Call Restriction code numbers.

I emailed Tracfone last night but judging by complaints about their service, who knows if I will get a response.

Anyone? Do Tracfones report Restriction codes when there is no signal? Not just low or no bars?!

This is so disappointing.

Phones
    Galaxy S4 Mini
    Galaxy S4 Mini
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    That doesn't sound like your ordinary, run of the mill, can't get a signal problem. That sounds more like a service conflict type issue. Call customer service.

PS... my mom has that phone, and it really gets a strong signal seemingly everywhere.

I've got to get a new sig...

Phones
    Nokia 1100b
    Moto C139; W175g; V120
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Long after the fact, but in case someone searches for "call restrictions -34" info, as I did....

I called Tracfone Exec Resolutions Staff at 1-800-876-5753 and was helped very professionally by an agent. We found that the phone still identified with the first SIM card that I had installed, rather than the replacement I had installed in order to be in AT&T/Cingular network rather than T-Mobile. Within 15 minutes, he had walked me through entering one string of codes and a few parameter checks, turning on/off phone twice...I was then ready to go with a fully functioning Tracfone.

So, this issue can be resolved. Not sure if others problems will also be related to the SIM card issue, but it is a possibility. Hope this helps someone.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    The full model name is the W260g. The "G" specifies the GSM network (AT&T in this case).

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GearMaven View Post
    Long after the fact, but in case someone searches for "call restrictions -34" info, as I did....

I called Tracfone Exec Resolutions Staff at 1-800-876-5753 and was helped very professionally by an agent. We found that the phone still identified with the first SIM card that I had installed, rather than the replacement I had installed in order to be in AT&T/Cingular network rather than T-Mobile. Within 15 minutes, he had walked me through entering one string of codes and a few parameter checks, turning on/off phone twice...I was then ready to go with a fully functioning Tracfone.

So, this issue can be resolved. Not sure if others problems will also be related to the SIM card issue, but it is a possibility. Hope this helps someone.
    This sounds like one of those cases where the phone was originally set up to function on T-Mobile and then was put on AT&T without anyone knowing settings had to be changed. You run into so many cases where the inexperience of the Trac personel causes your problems

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I got this message today - "Check Call Restrictions -34" - on a recently activated T101g which has only ever had 1 SIM (ATT). It also showed an icon for "out of your service area". I turned off the phone and waited 15 minutes. When I turned it back on, it had a signal & worked fine. I turned it off and back on a 3rd time and this time the icon was gone, but it had no signal. I tried a call and got the same message, "Check Call Restrictions -34". As soon as I backed out to the main screen, I once again had signal and made a call.

So, don't panic if you see this message. It may just mean that AT&T is being flaky.

On the other hand, I wonder why it didn't hand off to T-Mobile if it couldn't connect with AT&T, since both are strong here.

Feedback Score
    I hope AT&T isn't flaking out again.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Cool

Sorry to BUMP such an old post, but here is why I did:

I've spent over 5 hours on the phone with Straight Talk reps since May 9th trying to get a refurbished phone to work which I bought off their website. Nobody seemed to know what to do, but they never admitted it. They kept giving me different reps all having me do the same scripted steps over and over again while I had to hear them all repeat endless times their scripted phrases "Please bear with me a moment" and "I'm waiting for my system to update"

I'm thankful to:

1. Google for finding me this thread on Howards Forums
    2. Howards Forums for hosting this information
    3. Howards Forums users for posting the information
    4. TracFone reps (NOT Straight Talk reps) for having the knowledge to fix my problem

My problem was that the SIM card Straight Talk sent me with the phone did not match the one in their system. The Straight Talk reps never thought to have me read them the SIM card number so they could double check it with what was in their system. The Straight Talk reps seem to know nothing past the script in front of them.

The Tracfone rep had me read her the SIM card number in my phone. Then had me turn off my phone and leave it off while she added/corrected it in her system. Then turn on my phone and go in to the CODE mode and enter *#0 hit "ok" and give her the single digit number generated by my phone. She then used that to generate an activation number in her system and had me then enter that in my phone. My phone then restarted itself and only then was I able to see a phone number assigned to the phone under the PREPAY menu.

Thank You to ALL who helped!

Feedback Score
    I believe Tracfone and Straight Talk use the same reps. However, the Tier 1 reps are script-reading trainees and they have a very limited knowledge level and in fact do not have the programs to do things even if they understood them. So I think unbeknownst to you, someone with sense set you up with Tier 2, which is what they should have done before. So Tier 2 helped you. They have helped me with a sim issue. There seem to be a fair number of sim issues regarding having the correct sim number associated with the phone. When a new sim is supplied with a refurb, nobody bothers to remove the sim number that used to be associated with that phone. The number apparently remains during the refurb process, whatever that is. I'm sure a lot of customers don't have landlines or internet to contact CS to fix things, and are totally sol.

*#0 is also known as Parameter 0. There are a whole bunch of Parameters. Parameter 0 increments every time some code is put into the phone. So it just goes up, however high it has to go. Like even 25 if you keep a phone long enough. They ask you the Parameter 0 to make sure it matches their records and that you actually put codes into the phone in the past rather than faking it. Also that you are actually looking at the real phone to know the number. Once that checks out, the CSR can proceed to the next step. I don't think the parameter number actually generates anything, it's just for verification.

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Having dealt with CS, I've been accumulating reasons you have to deal with them - only - to resolve issues:

Direct sales phones
    Refurbs
    Porting numbers
    Transferring minutes and air time
    SIM card issues

This should point out that 1) their CS system isn't user friendly, 2) anything beyond activating a new phone takes programming, 3) they are not a top level service provider.

They are a phone company headquartered in a third world nation, buyer be aware.

Any TF I activated directly over the web, purchased off a store display, has been good. Any TF I direct ordered, ported, or otherwise needed CS for, has been a drag, with much frustration.

Think about it - 5 hours to program the correct codes? At the average American wage rate, it's a waste of the customer's time to even bother. Throw it in a recycle bin and buy another. For less than $40 bucks, you can get a DMFL phone and a 60 minute card with 90 days air time. You'll probably wind up with over 140 minutes and 150 days airtime all together.

Tracphones aren't plan phones, don't have the CS, and don't merit hanging on to them. It's a users choice to do what they want, but it certainly doesn't hurt to see the math, either.

Feedback Score

straightalk

i just wanna say that if you are not a patient person..dont go with straight talk...it's a freakin nightmare to deal with these people. after purchasing another samsung phone,(before this phone, i was also with straightalk, but a different model and with verizon) then having one problem after another, the latest being that i cant recieve or make calls inside my office because i have no signal and am also getting the error 34, amoungst others. so now, they tell me that the phone i purchased has a sim card with at&t and that i need to exchange it and get the same phone i had before. this was told to me after a tier 1 rep said the tower was down in my area...ugh.... my question is....is there anyway to get another sim card for this phone that would be for verizon?

Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by judy miller View Post
    i just wanna say that if you are not a patient person..dont go with straight talk...it's a freakin nightmare to deal with these people. after purchasing another samsung phone,(before this phone, i was also with straightalk, but a different model and with verizon) then having one problem after another, the latest being that i cant recieve or make calls inside my office because i have no signal and am also getting the error 34, amoungst others. so now, they tell me that the phone i purchased has a sim card with at&t and that i need to exchange it and get the same phone i had before. this was told to me after a tier 1 rep said the tower was down in my area...ugh.... my question is....is there anyway to get another sim card for this phone that would be for verizon?
    Judy, this is the Tracfone/Net10 forum, NOT the StraightTalk forum.

You will find the ST forum here: http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/551-Straight-Talk

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by judy miller View Post
    my question is....is there anyway to get another sim card for this phone that would be for verizon?
    Phone on the Verizon network are CDMA and do not use SIM cards.
    SIM cards are used on phone using a different technology, GSM.

You don't say which phone you have, but if it has a SIM card it is a GSM phone and there is no way to use it on the Verizon CDMA network. You would have to get a CDMA phone to use the Verizon network.